Lower Resources in the Menu, Downloading, and Minimized. FPS cap?

At the moment I believe the best solution is to install Rivatuner and cap frame rates in that to 60fps. This sorts out the menu issue and also allows you turn off V sync for flying if you wish. A frame limiter for the backend as suggested by a few people would be ideal as would having two entirely separate backends, one for consoles and one for PCs which is what they should have done in the first place.

4 Likes

With the current startup time of the sim I’m reluctant to close it when I’m going away for a while or working in another program. The problem here is fan noise and my electricity bill…
So I would go as far as saying when FS is not the focused window switch down to zero fps.

3 Likes

Of all the things that need to be fixed or added to this sim I would put this pretty far down at the bottom of the list.

I do get your point though. If you were going to pause the game into the menu and walk away for a while it wold be nice if it throttled down a bit. Other than that I don’t spend all that much time in the menu that it bothers me much.

You can also limit the frame rate with nvidia control panel I think? If not you can do it with nividia profile inspector. I don’t think that will do what you want it to do though. It won’t know the difference if you are playing the game or in the menu. It is just going to limit the application in general.

I did notice the the opening sequence when you start the game is limited to 60 fps though. Maybe because its a video or something?

1 Like

It’s only limited to 60fps if you have V Sync on - if I switch VSync off (without Rivatuner ) my menu frame rates are between 400-500 fps which is the issue for some of us.

1 Like

No I am talking about the opening sequence with logos and all that, before you get to the press any key screen. I don’t use any kind of vsync or frame limit and those only show as 60 fps. I am figuring because it is probably some kind of video file shot at 60 fps.

But yes my actual menu frame rates are all over the place reaching into the 600’s at times during loading screens. On the main menu though I think I get around 80-90 fps.

Hi all,

Sooner or later, the majority of us will be flying 2+hours flights in the jets etc.

In older simulators, alt+enter and minimising the sim would significantly reduce the load on processor and graphics card, reducing electricity consumption and heat.

Doing so in MSFS2020 does not acheive this and my GPU is running at 100% still.

Please could this be addressed?

3 Likes

100%. I find that I spend a lot of time in the menu while l am planning flights and looking up charts. would great if my gpu wasn’t pegged at 100% in the menu. I don’t understand why there is so much usage in the menu anyway.

1 Like

While everyone obliviously wants maximum performance while flying, rendering at maximum framerate is unnecessary in the menus.

Because FS takes such a long time to start, it’s inconvenient to quit when doing something else on the PC or being AFK for a while. However, leaving it running just results in a lot of heat, noise and wasted electricity.

Being able to set the menu framerate independently to the sim would be a very useful way to get around this.

2 Likes

other words, we need sim launcher

1 Like

Whatever it is it needs fixing. Nearly maxing out CPU and GPU when nothing is happening is crazy.

1 Like

Did you try to set max fps in your gc driver? I’ve set it to 45 fps max and my sys is totally calm in menu and even in flight.

While in game I use RTSS to limit frames to 40 (in my case). If I keep the limiter on while in menu it takes ages to load… when I set RTSS to 0 which is actually like running it OFF the sim loads up lightning fast!!! (On an NVMe2 drive). What I am saying is you can use RTSS to limit fps in game Only and disable it while in menu.

GPU is fully used when game is loading files in the background (the game does not displaying anything just computing a still image at max FPS). This is fully unacceptable when everyone is trying to fight againg unnecessary power consumption and carbon dioxide emission.

Million of players consume a lot of power unnecessary, wear and tear the GPU/cooler and accelerate the global warming.

Please fix this asap :frowning:

3 Likes

If you’re gonna force large updates on us, atleast make it so your menus don’t hammer the CPU and GPU. I’m on ADSL (as are lots of users) and it will take hours to download this patch. That’s hours where all my fans kick in and my desktop sounds like an f-18 on take off… Just to download a patch on a mostly static screen! 2 hours and 8% later I’ve given up. Its 2020, this can’t be the best you can do?

4 Likes

Or… make a seperate client to handle update and marketplace downloading

4 Likes

Hi there, i try to explain my problem what i have since the sim is released

my " problem " is that when i try to minimize the simulator to the desktop(searching for something for example) the simulator is still running with a high GPU load, even in Window and Fullscreenmode.

I dont remember that issue existed in the older MSFS. When i did my Flights (EDDF-OMDB for example) i did normally the start, then climb to Flight Level and then i let the Autopilot do the rest till the Top of Decent. So the Sim was running only at beginning and end of the flight with a high GPU load. On flight level i minimized the Sim and did other stuff, my graphic card was cold then and the fan was not running all the time.

But in FS20 my Card gets warm, the Fan is running high, even in the Menu/Hangar.
When i minimize the sim the hardware is still running on full power. I dont have that with other games.

Anybody have a clue for me?

Thanks

1 Like

Just today I noticed something odd, when I minimise MSFS at the menu screen, I see high CPU usage, this returns to normal when I maximise the window.

“CPU #15” is always the one which peaks. (see screenshot link below)

CPU i7 10700k 8C/16T
GPU GTX1060

Not bothering me at all, just curious why.

BeetleRain

I also have the same problem.

My 9900K does the same thing. That will be the core that gets overloaded if you see that message in the dev mode fps counter state you are limited by “main thread” or words to that effect.

I wouldn’t say its a problem, just the way MSFS works. There can be only one…main thread.

1 Like

This post may be about a topic that has been raised several times before and despite being hardware related, I feel that it is well placed as general feedback given it has serious implications for casual MSFS who are unaware of this issue.

I have read a number of threads to date concerning the dangers of sitting in the MSFS menu when it comes to frying our expensive computers. I’ve seen no warnings from developers and don’t feel that everyday users should have to scour the forums and newsletter to be aware of this serious risk to their expensive computers. We all know just how much of a high-end PC this software needs in order to run smoothly.

The fact is that I like to sit in the menus reading over what’s on offer to buy, looking at all the advertising in details for extended periods of time like I do with all my games. This overheating issue in the MSFS menu is not something that I experience in other games with my Vsync turned off with a low frame rate.

Had I not installed a hardware monitoring program I could have easily fried my high-end GPU & possibly motherboard. My still new Stix RTX2080 advanced gamers edition GPU was at 98% usage with temps exceeding 85 degree Celsius. This is when I discovered so many other users encountering this serious problem.

I feel there should be some kind of warning regarding how players must be aware to enable Vsync and lower their frame rate whilst sitting in the MSFS menu system for any extended time, lest they run the risk of having their GPUs and possibly their motherboards fried!

Curiously today I just saw a framerate option after an update (might have been there all along?) for a staggering 20FPS. ??? Given that when enabling this new option of 20FPS + the Vsync being the only way I could get my GPU temps within safe parameters, I suspect this astoundingly low frame rate option must be solely for the overheating menu issue. Personally, I feel we need a better fix and above all we need a warning for unsuspecting users.

This realization was quite frustrating given the implications and potentially borders on negligence considering the risk for damaging a user’s computers. I think there are already a number of posts about the MSFS and damaged computers. One can only wonder if it’s related to the many posts regarding hardware overheating in the MSFS Menu.

I have since thoroughly tested this issue with other games with Vsync turn on and with high FPS whilst sitting in menus. In every test is was not at all an issue. All the game menus I tested had a busy background that spread across my entire 32:9 display. Given the results of my test, I can’t for the life of me work out why we users must sustain such a resource hogging hit in the MSFS Menu System and run the risk of having our PCs go kaput.

Given the risks should this not be of genuine concern for casual MSFS users? We really need a fix that takes onus off users for those of us that like to have Vsync disabled and like our higher frame rate.

What’s going on?

Given the responses, I would say YES, most certainly casual users should be concerned. Thank you for your participation.

6 Likes