Magvar!

Quick question, i just notice there is also an option to set the magvar where you enter the airport information’s. I did set the magvar to each runway , do i have to set it in both places?
magvar
Thanks in advanced!

My limited experience reveals that the airport and runway magvar parameters are ambiguous, by that I mean I believe the airport parameter has questionable use since run the simulation appears to use the global magvar from the magvar.bgl regardless of this setting. The runway parameter is a puzzle since runway bearing is True not Magnetic. The ILS heading is magnetic but the magvar parameter is not used here either; rather, the True parameter is added to the magvar based on the global magvar.bg. My observations could be wrong so i always provide the parameters I obtain from current FAA NASD data for US locations. I’ve not seen it make any difference but maybe one day Asobo will hire someone with aviation experience?

The magvar does make a difference when setting the runways in sdk, i learned that the hard way, when i created KDTW. Didnt know why the ILS was unbelievable off until i set the magvar to the current magvar listed online, which was 7 degrees west in my case. All that said, i didnt notice anything setting up the magvar at the Airport infos page in sdk.

The runways are BUILT with a FIXED relationship to Due North.

They are then named by their Magnetic heading at that time, as calculated by the local magvar, and other aviation administrative considerations.

When the magvar changes over time, if the designated Runway Magnetic bearing change significantly, from its original :“Name”, that name may be undated, but obviously the runway still has its original TRUE heading.

I am not a scenery developer, but I would assume it to be logical that everything in the scenery is built referenced to True North, and “fixed” Magvars are not embedded into the scenery, and the ruyways, laid out using True North, are then named with their current real world names,

The sim has updating magvar data, and applies that to the Sim, but that is only for local magnetic bearing calculation .

Maybe the AIRAC data also updates the Runway “names” ?

But this is why I am NOT a scenery developer !!! I know JACK !!

1 Like

The visual runways “name/numbers” should be updated by the developers when the changes are in place. It is part of developing, but many of them forget or dont care. My opinion

Yes, the developer has top go out and re-paint the numbers on the runway, but as far as the Nav Database is concerned, are these number not in that database when you select a runway in your GPS or Nav radio ?

Navigraph does update their nav data all the time, i can not say the same for default navdata in msfs. Unfortunately to have the navdata updated all the time you will have to pay membership to navigraph. It is worth it , in my opinion. If you only fly here and there than you will have to deal with incorect navdata.