20:00z weather advancement bug - FIXED

Not at all surprised they didn’t fix it. Asobo is so far out of their league with this they are embarrassing themselves with each foolish attempt…

2 Likes

Yeah have to agree sadly, it’s now just become a joke

Agree with previous comment, enough already with “Asobo is incompetent” comments.

4 Likes

Ongoing…

Then he reports my comment, how petty.

You know, this isn’t wholly Asobo to blame as the live weather is provided by a 3rd party (Meteoblue) It’s frustrating indeed, as there have been live weather issues since release (wind 255/03 , constant lighting, incorrect airport conditions…) but each update has seen each one resolved or mitigated. Their feedback hub has live weather being worked on for the next 2 updates so rather than throwing a tantrum at Asobo, report the issue you find and leave the pettiness in the school yard.

Yup, here’s todays morning situation at 0620Z (my timezone is utc+1h, now with daylight saving time utc+2h)

GAME

SAT

Notice how the fronts from the low pressure system over northern Denmark are far more advanced to the north ingame compared to the SAT image - so yes: still future weather, probably until 0900Z or so…

2 Likes

Could it really be that hard to correct this time sync issue…
I would rather LIVE Weather be 1 day behind with accurate weather data from real-world conditions that took place than be stuck with ±80% accurate forecasted conditions 1 day or so ahead.

3 Likes

(No) surprise, surprise!

0907Z, and the game is back to actual weather:

The cloud and precipitation in-game is plausible, although the sim is exaggerating the showery conditions at my location - but that’s a topic for future improvements. For now it would be sufficient if the synchronization process is getting fixed some day…

4 Likes

Yeah I hope this will get fixed someday.

1 Like

I get your frustration. Half a year or so ago I posted a lot of stuff about weather, but I haven’t followed the forums closely since then. The progress just feels painstakingly slow when you encounter the same bugs whenever you run up the sim.

But don’t forget Asobo are working on a lot of different stuff and maybe sometimes things turn out to be more complicated than you think and just require a lot of analysis that Asobo obviously haven’t had the time to do yet.

However, I just want to say I’m amazed by how much you guys have found out and proud of all the community contributions. Back then I think I was one of the first people who suggested there might be “future” weather injected into the sim, but there were just tons of other bugs, like wrong temperature indications at high altitude (Is that fixed yet? Haven’t checked…), wrong METAR server input etc. Many of the things could be fixed because of the community, and now bugs like the present one can be isolated and analyzed much more easily.

Let’s hope Asobo doesn’t forget their committment to a realistic weather engine and puts in the necessary work to fix this bug soon! With now hopefully more realisitc icing, I think then the weather model would already be in a decent state (with some things obviously still missing or incorrect, like thermals under clouds etc.)

3 Likes

@OlieTsubasa443 any update on this ongoing bug?

2 Likes

This issue in particular has been an ongoing issue now for a long time, with a lot of users (including myself) dedicating a lot of time to not only finding exactly when the bug was happening (Because for a long time nobody could pinpoint it) and why it was happening, but then being able to get reproducible steps. This wasn’t easy and there’s occasions where we keep being told it is fixed only for it not to be.

This is where people’s frustration comes from. I don’t think anybody is attacking Asobo/MS, we’re just all fed up of such a core part of the sim still not functioning correctly.

3 Likes

Hey, yeah I’ve put a lot of time into trying to track down exactly what was going on with the weather and the way it was loading in a future model. I think collectively I’ve spent more time searching for weather bugs than flying.

This was in particular with the loading of a future model is something I just wish they could fix - there’s times when we’ve been told it has been but then the bug still remains.

Sadly I think I’ve reached the point now where I need to probably come back to MSFS in around 6-12 months because like you say their progress feels very slow and the same bugs which have been present for months are still here. Not only that but trying to communicate them more directly about this particular issue seems near on impossible, which is a shame.

4 Likes

I’m still seeing the future weather bug also. Last night weather showing was about 12 hours in advance.

1 Like

I don’t get how weather can be so bad. The different “sources” in the sim (world map, ATIS, ATC and actual sim weather) all differ from each other. Sometimes wildly so. Below is a small example of what I experienced yesterday after SU4. I’m not blaming it on SU4 specifically, as it’s been doing this for me since SU3. Prior to that, weather seemed to be ok-ish and discrepancies between sources were far less severe.

<------->

The world map, ATIS and in sim weather don’t even come close to matching. Same as before the patch, so nothing new. And none of them are even close to real world METAR for the airport I’m currently at.

• World map reporting wind coming from 150 / RWY 14 in use.
  • ATIS reporting wind from 310 and RWY 14 in use (should be RWY 32 from that ATIS report).
  • Actual wind in sim is wind 210, and RWY 23 is the active for AI planes, which actually matches the sim’s wind conditions.
  • Current METAR : 251753Z 25010KT 10SM BKN060 29/19 A3017 RMK AO2 SLP216 T02890189 10311 20217 58009

<------->

On the following flight, I flew out of my home airport. Real world weather was partly cloudy with light breeze. Overall, a nice day.

In sim, the weather was severe thunderstorms, rain and 40kt wind. That’s the forecast for today. As I write this at 10:50AM, winds are blowing dark clouds are blowing in, and the forecast calls for severe thunderstorms starting in about 2 hours. It would appear the sim was using today’s weather forecast yesterday evening.

ATIS is never correct, regardless of whether you’re in “current live weather” or “future live weather”. It shouldn’t be relied on for anything.

METAR has and is always current (it’s impossible to get a future METAR report), so temperature, pressure and winds for a METAR reporting airport will usually be accurate. And that seems to be what you’ve just reported.

Clouds and precip come from Meteoblue and every day around 2000z the live weather begins showing the forecast model for the next day around 0800-0900z. So if the clouds and precip for the next day are wildly different than what’s current, you’ll notice it.

For the purposes of this thread, can you let us know approx what real world time you were flying where you encountered the discrepancies? Was it between 2000z and 0800z? If so, you’ve encountered the “future weather” bug.

2 Likes

Yep that’s exactly what it does. Around 20:00z it switches from current weather to what the weather model will be around 12 hours in the future, so around 08:00z the next day. This bug has been present for a long time and is the one that gives me the most headache.

If they could fix it, I strongly believe it would naturally solve a lot of the weather inaccuracies users experience.

3 Likes

@Jummivana tagging you here as well to make sure there is awareness to the developers, given that you are pretty responsive.

As udt4life12 said above, I think fixing this would go a long way towards resolving the bulk of the weather issues people complain about everyday. Not perfect but probably the biggest hammer you guys have. This cant be that difficult of a bug to fix.

2 Likes

It’s quite sad really, as a user that has devoted a lot of my limited free time to not only trying to pinpoint this issue with live weather, but also feedback as much information to the developers in order to try and fix it, I’m starting to feel like the team at ASOBO treat us, their user base with utter contempt. They only seem to chime in when it suits them, which is a real shame because there are so many people, myself included willing to give their time to solve this issue.

5 Likes

Only the METAR didn’t match actual conditions in the sim. Not even close.