Make cockpit camera rolling with bank angle optional

Hi there,
There is an existing Wishlist topic for turning off head movement due to G forces. They used the throttle as the example instead of turning, but it looks similar. Can you confirm if this is what you’re talking about?

Hi. Not really what I was talking about. Things having a force on them from accelerating or decelerating is an actual thing, though I’ve never found it that noticeable in a plane. Haven’t noticed it in the sim either.

What I mean is the panel banks when banking in a turn. The horizon banks in the windshield view (which of course is fine). But the panel banks also to, I suppose, simulate a side head tilt from an imagined side g force or pilot leaning in response to feeling gravity or aligning with the ground. There is no side force on a head or anything else in the cockpit during a coordinated turn. You don’t feel earth gravity sliding you down left or right in your seat while banking. If there were, the inclinometer, which works like a carpenters level, would not work in a plane. You feel a little Gs but that is perpendicular to the wings. A plumb bob would align perpendicular to the wings in a coordinated turn. There is no need to model this head movement by banking the camera because it does not occur. Unless you’re in a large slip or skid at high speed or sloppy aerobatics.

It just looks unnatural in normal flying and unnecessarily moves the panel, knobs and controls around.

I understand wanting to give a feel of movement and can see how that might have been the purpose.

Looked and looked for similar topics but didn’t find one before posting.

2 Likes

Gotcha. No worries! I did just put this in Wishlist because I’d say that this is likely an effect that they probably programmed in, even if it’s undesirable. So an option to disable or lower the effect, as you mentioned, would probably be best.
Thanks for your quick response!

There is a camera setting to disable camera shake, which would seem designed to achieve this if set. However, it seems to be currently non-functional, as the cockpit camera moves with turns regardless of the setting.

Hi. Yep I’d tried camera shake setting several months and updates ago and it reduced turbulence vibration but not moving with turns. Does look like it might be a bug that it does not turn off head tilt in turns also. ?

But vibration happens in a plane, head tilt to the side in turns does not. The camera shake description says “to adjust whether the camera moves slightly when moving or turning at speed to simulate realistic head movement” Realistic head movement in most turns is no movement. You simply do not tilt your body to align with the ground in most turns like you would if someone tilted your chair sideways, which seems to be what is being simulated. Unless in a big slip or maybe a spin, etc.

No real biggie. Maybe just a pet peeve and over the months never saw a topic on it.

3 Likes

Yeah I really hate this is MSFS, where head rolls independently to view, so the panel banks first and horison follows (or vice versa). It just feels completely disjointed and stupid. I think they’re trying to emulate “head roll anticipation”, like a guy on a motorbike leaning body into a corner first before motorbike follows. Maybe the arcade gamers like this view, but I think us serious folk want the views coordinated and will roll our heads with TrackIR etc ourselves.

There is actually a setting in ChasePlane (for FSX/P3D) called Anticipation, which does this exact thing, but is also the first thing I disable. Wish we can get that option to enable/disable head-roll anticipation in MSFS.

4 Likes

Would be nice to disable it for those who want to. If someone has ever been in an actual airplane as even a passenger might remember, they don’t lean their heads or lean in any way into turns. and banks, no matter how steep. Their drinks stay flat on their trays and the level in the glass stays flat even with the wings. There just is no leaning into turns in a plane like a motorcycle or racecar.

4 Likes

I wish there could be an option to disable the cockpit banking sideways when turning the aircraft around. They are already disabled in the home cockpit option by default but there’s no options to disable them in a default cockpit settings.

In my opinion this will be way more realistic to the real world flying experience.

Notice how it’s done in XPlane - the cockpit stays in the same position even if the aircraft is turning.

Now MSFS where the cockpit is banking in the opposite direction of your turn. You can only disable it if you chose the home cockpit option. Head movements option doesn’t change it.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are mis interpreting things . The plane is flying in a slip, see the ball in the turn bank indicator. And yes MS does not do adverse yaw correctly. That’s what you are probably seeing in MS

I simply want the option to disable the cockpit banking all the way around when turning… I am not here to discuss if you don’t want to see this option done. After all this is just an OPTION
Personally for me this effect is exaggerated and only gives the motion sickness

1 Like

Turn on auto rudder, that may help.

I don‘t know if there is a setting in a file, you would have to look for it, but in previous versions of MS and Lockheed Martin sims there was a setting called „Momentumeffect“ in the aircraft.cfg. When set to = 0 or false it disabled all bank and foreward/backward movements of the POV due to simulated momentum of the head. As I said I haven‘t checked it since it doesn‘t bother me but you could check the cfg files in the aircraft folders for this line. In P3d it was in the [cockpit] section for the pilot view.

Generally I think this setting in the UI would make sense.

This is incredibly annoying, especially when using custom views. Why would the camera swing when I’m looking at the overhead panel? Obviously I want it to stay still. It’s just beyond me that someone thought this was a good idea.

4 Likes

Agree. Best guess why someone thought it was a good idea is that this is how you’d simulate side head movement in a racecar turns. Someone used to coding race games and unfamiliar with airplanes may have imagined it would be the same. Its a video game with great graphics but light on accurate flight models

2 Likes

Whenever I initiate a turn from cockpit perspecrive the camera tilts a little to the other dielrection. Right turn at 30 degree bank means camera view has a bank of around 20 degrees right, thus slightly turned left. It looks like the pilot want to keep a horizontal view which is unreal. Pretty sad we still dont have an option to turn it off…
This “bug” is in the sim since its release

2 Likes

Quite sad this ‘feature’ is still not optional. Despite enjoying the Sim a lot with it’s innovative and useful features this head movement in turns always reminds me of an acarde game. I do hope somebody finds a trick to disable it.

4 Likes

MODERATOR EDIT:
This post merged into this topic.

Can I request Asobo remove the hardcoded head tilt/lean function when the aircraft is in a bank? I fly airliners and in the VC the pilot view (head) should not be turning and leaning to compensate for bank. This is very obtrusive and makes it difficult to see the instrument panel. It is also unrealistic.

May I request this be considered for an option to disable as the end user?

Thank you.

4 Likes

This was a great feature that most 3rd party camera add-ons used to have in the past simulators!

Suggest you vote for this topic below for the devs to add an API for those fine 3rd party devs to develop their camera tools :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are correct 889. I have no idea why Microsoft with all their resources hasn’t fixed this. You can stop the movement by locking the home camera, but you lose control of your mouse. There are a lot of experts on here that know absolutely nothing about flying.

I’d be willing to try this - how do you lock the home camera? This head tilt drives me nuts totally needs to be optional.

2 Likes