Make Concentric Knobs Easier to Use

I wish there was a way to make concentric knobs such as those on the G1000 easier to use. They have five actions - outer knob rotate CW/CCW, inner knob rotate CW/CCW, and knob push.

I propose the following:

1. Mouse wheel push (Mouse 3) does the push action.
  2. Mouse wheel up/down rotates the inner knob
  3. Mouse wheel up/down while Mouse 2 is being held rotates the outer knob. Or separate commands for outer wheel rotate CW/CCW that I could bind to Mouse 4/5 or wheel right/left actions for mice that support them.

This allows users to easily work both knobs without having to reposition the mouse cursor from inner to outer knobs.

I would also love to see consistency for bindings on these. I am mainly thinking for VR controllers but I’m sure it would help other controller types as well.

Normally the binding “cockpit interaction increase/decrease” is working OK to rotate the knobs, but there is often no binding I can find to push the knob. For some aircraft primary interaction works, for others secondary interaction, for others tertiary interaction, for others none at all and it requires a physical VR motion which normally doesn’t work properly (it often presses the knob quickly twice in quick succession). So more consistency would be really appreciated!

1 Like