Make it impossible to spawn on runway in Live mode

I’ve also had it where I’ve selected a gate to start from but for some reason it spawned me on the runway. Can only assume it spawned another player at the gate I was trying to spawn at.

I think that’s an excellent idea. Typically I never start on the runway, unless I’m doing some specific testing (say maybe a setting change, or a new mod, or whatever), but sometimes I forget to change it and end up on the runway (because it’s the default) where I don’t want to be (regardless of whether or not I’m active in a multiplayer session), so I have to go back and reset the whole flight to start in a parking spot, which is where I wanted to be in the first place!

1 Like

or (much quicker):

1 Like
  1. The spawning locations of AI vehicles needs to be addressed. It is crazy to see a ground vehicle on the runway just as I was about to land!

2. There are times when I like to start at a gate cold and dark performing manually the preflight and startup checklists. Other times I prefer being ready and cleared for takeoff as soon as I spawn.

3. Runway incursions happen IRL. Planes taxi into position for takeoff without a clearance or taxi across an active runway without clearance. This is a bigger problem at non-tower uncontrolled airports especially if one pilot doesn’t have his radio on.

I saw this from a similar suggestion. I support no spawning on the runway in live/multiplayer. Instead, I suggest either gate/ramp/parking or the holding spot off of the runway. People will still roll out on the runway without checking traffic for sure, but at least those who want to model good behavior won’t be plopped on the runway as the only alternative to a 20+ minute preflight startup.

I’d suggest ability to start ready to go (check lists complete, just as on runway) from the gate/ramp/parking or the holding spot for a selected runway. Just add a new option “hold” for each runway selection in the drop down and maybe a checkbox for ready vs cold/dark.

1 Like

There is another topic specifically for the C&D vs “Ready” aircraft here:
Start with aircraft ready-to-fly or cold-and-dark option when spawning on RAMP/GATE

Great idea. But can you imagine this: even spawning on runway is forbidden by a program update, there will always be someone take the runway for a long time, doing nothing? Or there may be someone just not follow flight rules, or even crash into others for fun?

Seems a game mode like VATSIM will solve this, there are human controllers, and can kick naughty guys out. This mode is just for serious simmers. For the leisure ones, you can set a game mode just like what it is now, and make this mode default in options.

EDIT: I think maybe VATSIM can cooperate with Asobo to make it happen. On the other hand, I’m really sorry to say that, MFS in current shape is not so attractive for serious simmers due to the airport signage issues / airplanes and other types of bugs etc.

I generally fly on IVAO but for sure on MSFS’s own multiplayer platform this is a huge immersion killer. Vote +1. For real sim users it’s not a game and please avoid gamish features and actions on the sim.

Kind regards.

I’m glad to see this up to 300 votes. Maybe Asobo will be forced to address it, and the guy who popped an attitude with me because I “thought I was better than him” for being in favor of this might just learn a lesson.

On startup, having selected a runway, the system forces spawn at "holding short, r/w (x) checks for ANY aircraft in the same position, forces spawn behind it.

Possible?

Not sure that would change much. You’d either get a long line of aircraft waiting to enter the runway as the person at the front isn’t ready yet or pilots would taxi immediately onto the runway without waiting for clearance (much like happens now).

Other than making other planes invisible until after take off, this is something that will have to be lived with I feel.

@CurriedCat, isn’t that exactly how real life works?

Was thinking more a static line that doesn’t get shorter. Had this happen already. Front of queue just didn’t move, assume taking photos or making a cuppa. Had to pass on the grass in the end.

Yes, it will would be very important for more realism
Voted

NB: I’ve posted this follow up in another forum and I believe this information is further documenting the context, the problem and explains easy to implement solutions using what is already there in the game.

Context

We can expect lots of new simmers and newcomers alike. Some might not be willing or comfortable to start playing with a cold and dark aircraft and the only way to be “ready to fly” is to spawn on the runway.

There is also a long standing wishlist item about “making it impossible to spawn on the runway”. It has lots of votes and is opened since August 2020: Make it impossible to spawn on runway in Live mode - Self-Service / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

There is a lot of good suggestions in my opinions there but in the end this would be imposing a limit of some sort to the users.

Problem

How to make it easier for new comers while preventing the runway encumbrance which will be annoying more seasoned players?

Solution

It didn’t occur to me before but in fact there is a very simple solution, which the game code is already supporting. It “just” requires adding a UI option for it:

• At a minimum it is letting the user choosing Apron or Taxi presets when starting outside the runway
  • At most it is also adding the capability to spawn on taxiways, or at least in at the runway threshold.

Please note both of the above (user choice and runway threshold) are not coupled and therefore could be added at different time. The first one, which is offering the choice to use the Apron or the Taxi presets, seems easy to implement quickly because the game code is already supporting loading presets, but it is hard-coded to always use “Apron” only.

2 Likes

Agreed, a person should spawn short of the requested runway. At the hold short marker for the selected runway.

2 Likes

Don’t you go from cold and dark to ready for take off by simply pressing control e? At least it works that way in the GA aircraft…

After selecting departure from world map, it would make more sense if we spawn in gate instead of runway. It also would be better for players that are trying to fly realistically and be able to taxi to runway without seeing people popping up on runway.

If people wants to start in runway they should click on runway number on world map to be able to start on runway. Maybe it is also better disabling runway spawn in live mode.

Or maybe there should be a setting called “Default: start on gate” which will make players spawn in gate just by selecting departure on airport on world map. :slightly_smiling_face:

Active pause, option menu pause and slew should also be disabled in LIVE mode…!

There is also the case when a user presses ESC to change settings. The plane hangs, but we can’t stop users changing settings…