Make New Zealand the next world update!

Thank you. I suspected that horses were bred there. But I couldn’t believe that almost every ranch has its own training track. Crazy, there must be hundreds in Canterbury.

1 Like

Trotting gigs are not the easiest things to turn around and are somewhat unstable (in fact literally deadly) on rough ground so you cannot really just train in a paddock.

1 Like

Ranches in New Zealand are called sheep stations or cattle stations and smaller ones are called farms.

2 Likes

i am not an nativ english speaker - ranch, farm, here in germany all is alled “Bauernhof”

1 Like

I can’t stop seeing these tracks now that you’ve pointed them out!

1 Like

I had been hoping that we would get an update soon. I love the New zealand mesh it 100% makes a difference. Its a good start.
I do a lot of flight videos in NZ , Its so frustrating knowing that certain landmarks are not there. We have 1 lighthouse. Cape Brett Which is lovely but why not Cape Reinga Lighthouse. No Harbour bridge , sky tower, or even beehive, please please please give us some love soon!!!

1 Like

Orbx are working on Auckland. Orbx Teases Auckland Landmarks for MSFS - FSNews

Alien Crop circles perhaps ?

Landmarks Auckland is now out. Landmarks Auckland City Pack - Microsoft Flight Simulator - Orbx (orbxdirect.com)

3 Likes

GOT IT!!! Thanks

1 Like

While I’m excited for the Australia World Update, but I am pretty sad it’s “Australia” and not, “Oceana”. Because while New Zealand getting it’s own WU some day may give better results in the end? And really, New Zealand is deserving of it’s own super high quality WU. However, I fear it’s going to be a long long time before they get back to this region now that they have gotten the large majority of it’s landmass by doing Australia. I hope I’m wrong and the choice of Australia shows all of Oceania will get WU love before too long? And all the Pacific Islands are an opportunity for spectacular scenery. With so little land mass attention could be paid to a large number of islands.

1 Like

New Zealand would make an excellent WU after Australia. In my opinion, NZ is much more scenic than Australia, with all the mountains and such…

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I loved my time in Australia and it has diverse and amazing scenery and Sydney is a gorgeous city, but yes New Zealand is such a gem!

But not long after writing my previous post, I watched the last Developer Twitch video and Jorg answered a question sent in about whether NZ would be in the Australian WU and he got a very cheeky look and said it was a very conscious decision to not lump NZ in with AU and there’d be more to say on it in the future. So, that to me is basically saying, NZ will get it’s own update and it’s likely so they can make it really great and not dilute it with the much larger island to West.

So, I’m hopeful!!! Man, does Wellington need some good photogrametry! It’s almost unrecognizable and generic looking compared to the actual city.

But they better add proper ferns and gum trees. The standard generic trees will not cut it. Also some interesting comments about doing seasons well and using biomes to properly deal with different seasons in different places with proper changes in vegetation? So, may take another two years, but I am also hopeful we’ll see some better, more varied, more accurate trees and proper support for four seasons! And hopefully a graceful accurate changes every day between the seasons.

1 Like

And no sea ice and snow at sea level in the middle of summer :roll_eyes:

1 Like

And include the whole lot of Pacific islands as well, I hope.

1 Like

The more I think about it the more I thought that a combined Australian/New Zealand WU would have been a perfect combination with both complimenting each other…
With the vast and flat desert red landscapes, the many POI being old buildings and structures that flush almost every Australian city and jewel like water masking of the barriers…
Then you have the raw beauty that simply sums up New Zealand, with defined sharpness of the southern alps and a more refined approach with New Zealands bush…

I do wonder what is there to do regarding a standalone New Zealand WU…???

Over the last few updates… water masking has made its way down south… A number of stunning harbors and bays has some spectacular water masking, the east coast bays from Bay of Islands north, has now some extensive water masking…
With a huge local community and bigger players providing some magnificent downloads to almost every “main” airport here and along with Orbxs NZ mesh…
What is left here in NZ that would make a standalone WU viable…?
Some of the coastlines would be a start… Tauranga/The Mount… NZ has to be one of the most extensively Bing mapped areas in the world with very few ‘generic’ sceneries but Tauranga has to be that one majour area … that stunning Bay of Plenty beach line not being there…
A reduction of the tide along the west coast to bring out those sand beaches…
Maybe one of those NAC De-haveland moths in NAC and a flight to land on one of those south island west coast beach…
Some more water masking along the South Island and the lakes…
Some POIs of our smaller towns or places like the Hamilton Gardens…
Have all of our off shore islands such as the Kermadecs, Auckland Islands and the ljke…

Apart from that…

Nz doesn’t really have much in the way of spectacular cities, architecture and buildings…

What would there be in regards to improvements would you guys think off that would be in a stand alone WU for New Zealand or would it be part of a bigger geopolitical area including the much needed water masking and the likes of the Pacific’s???

Asobo did mention that little snippet of “NZ not being included as part of the Australian WU” and that… “we thought long and hard that… that there will be something in the future…”

What is there left to do for a standalone NZ WU

Be interesting to hear your thoughts

1 Like

My guess (no insider knowledge, here) is that a New Zealand world update might be packaged in with a greater Oceania update including places like the Cook Islands, Samoa, the Marshall Islands, Guam, maybe one or both halves of New Guinea.

9 Likes

Maybe a Polynesia update, which covers a triangular area with New Zealand, Hawaii and Easter Island at the three vertices of the triangle.
I’m hoping that MS can include a NZ mesh of at least 5m, as there are so many pointy bits here, which none of the current mesh addons do justice.
So far, though, Bing only has photogrammetry for Christchurch. Not that it would be a great loss if there was limited photogrammetry, provided we get the mesh, plus improved vegetation and autogen as a base.

3 Likes

There are good third party upgrades available for mesh and vegetation so I guess its not on top in the list.

Spent a very nice holiday there in 1987. Did both Islands amazing scenery.