Make turbulence close to real life as possible

Here is a description on Meteoblue page about thermals.

• 10m wind and 80m wind: Wind speeds in 10 and 80 meters above ground in kilometers per hour. Thermals develop under calm conditions or with light, variable wind. However, with 10 to 20 km/h wind, the thermals tend to be better organized. Stronger winds generally means also more wind above, which could produce wind shear, destroying the thermals. Look at the wind shear diagram.

Read more here: Forecast for a place here in Sweden. You can check whatever coordinate you want there.

1 Like

And hopefully the team plans to take our feedback into account, and adjust accordingly if necessary.

You guys mentioned gliders and I think someone at Asobo needs to start flying those if they ever plan to get this modeled correctly.

4 Likes

The thing is that they try to implement it well. But as soon as they add something new some instantly complains they are overdone and Asobo listening to those and instantly limits it in strange ways. It’s still same version they added them and in next update they limits them. Why is my question? And how can they make progress if they add in one update and then remove/limit in the next? Better we getting used to the things they add instead and then wait for improvements.

Well, i’m the same when i think about it :joy: I wants the old weather system back without METAR. But i really need to wait for improvements in that and get used to it. Because they will never return the old weather system. Well, i hope they improve the air and weather system in the future without limits :blush:

4 Likes

provides meteo blue also where and how strong are the turbolences ? or dont provide meteo blue these data sets about turbolences for the msfs? So that we need maybe a additional partner that provides data about turbolences for the msfs?

I think they want it to be simulated of it’s own in the sim to feel more organic. Meteoblue has data for thermals as i showed here above in an earlier post. But don’t know how hard it is to get that data into the sim.

1 Like

Pretty much. Your average gamer has no real life experience, or at best a few commercial flights or maybe a trial flight in a Warrior or some basic training in a Cessna which invariably takes place in ideal conditions.

This issue is worse in many military sims where there is immense pressure to make popular aircraft like the Spitfire or the P51 fly like the mythical plane rather than the real one. This is compounded by a need for red/blue “balance” in PvP combat.

2 Likes

The thermal turbulence is completely dynamic; it’s not just a “shake effect” that the sim activates. The sim calculates the amount of solar radiation hitting each sampled point on the ground and then it uses the color of the scenery\terrain to determine how much the air above it is heated as a result. Dark surfaces result in more heat than lighter surfaces. This results in columns of air moving up and down that causes your plane to move around as these forces dynamically act on the surfaces of your plane. It’s a lot more complicated than people are giving it credit for.

Here is a solar radiation map:

I don’t think Asobo uses that data though. I believe they calculate it using the position of the sun and then it’s filtered by obstructions such as clouds. My guess is it’s very closely tied to the existing lighting engine. They know the intensity of the sunlight on each point on the ground, so they probably use that as the basis for the solar radiation\ground heating system. That means the cost is probably very low because the work is already being done.

2 Likes

I feel those that want the air to be completely constant all the time and a light GA plane feel exactly the same to fly as a heavy airliner should be able to use the sim as well with an arcade mode or something but do not limit a simulator. If options is not possible then try explain it’s a real thing that is simulated instead of remove them for all of us. It should be as close to real as possible. There is no limits in real weather. Then it should not be limits in the simulator. If they try to simulate a thing like the gust that they removed because some felt it was overdone is a bad decission in a simulator. They should only improve them or add an option to remove that.

Gusts will be back, really good Asobo! Then add option for those that not like them.

3 Likes

Thaks for the info. i think i will update the topic and the topic title.

Your updated text misses the point. Thermals are created by solar radiation, which doesn’t require any new live data. You don’t need to call up meteoblue and ask them about the relative position of the sun; the sim already calculates that. The rest of the variables come from live weather the sim already gets, as well as the scenery. The current system is more realistic than anything we’ve ever had before, and probably has more potential than meteoblue to come up with realistic results. Why? Because the sim has tons of terrain\scenery data, which is very important. it can roughly determine the real life color of any point on earth (with satellite data coverage). I doubt many weather providers has that kind of detailed data.

5 Likes

when you fly trouogh super cells or thunderstorm. i experienced no bumps and the shaking wasnt more then normaly of the airplane. i dont know how an aircxraft like an a320 act in real life under these conditions. But to me the airplane should a more bump and shakier the usual.

1 Like

This they told us pre release 2020 should have been simulated. But as we all can notice it isn’t. I think they got rid of it to not confuse those that not understand what is happening when the plane behaves like a paper plane or a leaf in those up/downdrafts. They said that in an early q&a. Thats how it is actually, i would like that. Gives us purpose to use the weather radar and stuff to avoid those like in real life.

2 Likes

I agree. Getting confused and learning how to quickly troubleshoot/avoid those issues in the future is the best part of a simulator. Most of us don’t want newbie mode.

2 Likes

i dont need an weather radar when i can without any effect to the aircraft fly trought these super cells etc.

2 Likes

Agree 100%. I don’t understand why the wish for radar API for 3rd party devs when it’s useless anyway.

1 Like

we need a good foundation of the weather also the bad weather condition. it should be improved before an implementation of weather and terrain apis. because i use the weather radar to fly by or over fly these bad weather conditions. because of to prevent that the aircraft get some structure damage etc.

2 Likes

Thunderstorms can rip apart smaller aircraft and seriously damage even big airliner. Turbulence is severe to extreme in the storm. This simulator is totaly lacking this kind of realism.

9 Likes

I really hate how the sim got watered down perhaps as a result of xbox entering the chat. I found the beginnings of weather effects that were really interesting and definitely had the potential for learning/training moments. Hopefully they come back.

3 Likes

Hello,
Your post reads more as a Wishlist topic than a bug report. I have moved it to Wishlist.

It wasn’t the console.

If anything it was likely an influx of users with no experience of real world flying, and thus unrealistic expectations. It’s difficult to argue what is real if “you” have never seen or felt it for real. It’s akin to arguing the space combat in Star Wars is unrealistic.

1 Like