Managed Descents and Climbs with ATC

I was just wondering how everyone else handles the ATC call out telling you to expedite climbs and descents when using the VNAV and Managed altitude changes. I have quickly come to realize how the FMS and ATC totally sometimes disagree with each other. LOL

1 Like

Unfortunately, given up listening to the ATC…

2 Likes

Pretty much that is what I’m doing. I used to fly X Plane 11 and the ATC was almost deemed useless. The ATC in FSX was pretty good but then FSX didn’t have SIDS and STARS and stuff like that. FSX was pretty much Altitude, speed, and V/S was the only mean of altitude changes. I will have to say, MSFS has come a long way since FSX and totally redeemed themselves after the failed Flight Sim World that MS pulled the plug on.

I just ignore ATC too.

ATC and IFR managed through G1000 NXi match pretty closely on TOD and BOD for an assigned or preplanned IAP.

Enroute is catch as catch can.

2 Likes

I’m flying the default A320 and ATC is telling me to climb back to 350 and my FMS has me descending to FL 248 which makes more sense because I’m 85 nautical miles from DFW

ATC irl will always take you off path and cut corners… I find using Charts and fmc plans contradict ATC… It’s like 2 completely different ways of navigating in fs2020. If ATC were real then it would be much easier.

1 Like

I"m entering my STAR into DFW and the ATC is still telling me to climb back to FL 350 and my FMS is got me at FL130. I guess the ATC want me to make like a Space X rocket and do a nose dive and hit the boosters just before the nose dive ends.

1 Like

lmao! yeah exactly why i don’t use atc! best way to learn charts too by following the full procedure with is rare but your chart knowledge will grow immensely. Flying without atc is good too… i can watch netflix xD

1 Like

I’ve had that happen as well. I like hearing the chatter though, even if it’s “wrong.”

I’ve started doing VNAV descents and it seems in the game ATC is always mad at me for a while. Eventually though they stop telling me I’m below my altitude. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m using Navigraph navdata and i don’t know if it makes a difference but i’m fine with ATC. ATC gives me speed restrictions and calls the descent early enough. On a rare case ATC calls me to climb back up when the chart has certain altitude restrictions.

3 Likes

I just “simulate” to answer everything from ATC regarding altitude with unable as soon as it comes to approach, without VNAV i just fly after the constraints.

1 Like

When ATC asks me to ascend to the wrong level at the wrong time, I usually obey but with a very, very slow climb rate. This is sufficient to stop the nagging, but there’s no chance of me getting anywhere near the assigned altitude before they change their mind again.

3 Likes

While not having navigraph i do a google search for approach and ils charts for specific airports. So i know the transition altitude for the ils approach and glideslope.
When starting the TOD i ask ATC for a descent to almost the transition height. Most of the time the final couple of 1000ft are called by ATC.

Personally i have more problems with ATC giving me a total different approach and landing runway the for instance simbrief gives me. And ATC gives that call way to close to the airport and with complete unknown waypoints. While MSFS ATC gives me the chance to change the approach, it won’'t give me the option to change to the correct runway.

2 Likes

Skyvector is my friend. I can’t use navigraph with the XBox so I just use Skyvector charts and follow those and normally ignore ATC. Though lately I do have to say ATC has been pretty close to some of the official charts as far as descending goes and speeds, but I do still get the occasional climb to FL250 30 miles out…

1 Like

LOL I primarily fly the C208 here in Hawaii. They’ll have me descend from my cruise of 10 or 11,000’ to 3,000’ like 60+ nautical miles out. It’s like…I know you guys want me to feel like I’m in a big boy jet, but c’mon, man. :slight_smile:

They disagree in real life as well since ATC does not communicate with your FMS VNAV function. ATC communicates to you, you interact with the FMS / autopilot to alter the flightpath corresponding to the clearance.

1 Like

The AI ATC in sim is based on the plan entered into the sim’s flight planner. I mostly fly FBW a32nx and always import the Simbrief plan first into the sim’s flight planner and ATC is reliably bringing me up to the cruise level as well as starts bringing me down at around 100-120nm mark depending on the cruising altitude. During the STAR I do encounter sometimes quirks as the constraints are not always followed logically (from a pilot’s perspective, who would like to follow the charts) by the AI ATC, but generally even that works reasonably well bringing me down to G/S capture level in time, so I have ample time to prepare the plane for landing.

2 Likes

I use Simbrief a lot for X Plane, but I have never used it for MSFS.

If you use Skyvector it has all the charts, landing, STARS, SIDS, and even METARS. You can sign up for a free account, but I warn you do not file the flight plan, Skyvector is the real deal. I found out the hard way. I filed a plan for a high altitude airway flight and when I did it asked me for my rating, company, and everything else. LOL.

Skyvector Link