Mandatory update on Microsoft store but no update

I made it through the process, but Microsoft really bolloxed up trying to find the update. I have premium deluxe and wasn’t sure if the “Standard” update was it? After poking around the store for quite awhile I think I finally got it, but now when I uploaded the latest patch, it showed the standard mandatory update as something else I could install, so it is just weird. It did not take me nearly that long to install though. It went through a couple of different install sequences before it was done.

Well, Woopee Doo! Finally loaded the whole thing after 19 1/2 hours,6pm GMT.
I never had any problems before, even the auto-pilot was working great with the a32nx Flybywire, so here’s hoping i’m back to normal again with a great sim.’

MSFS was working fine after updating to Windows 11 but today pointed to the Mandatory Update. There was none and we shouldn’t need to leave the sim to update anyway. Long story short, I tried everything. OS updates, driver updates, then finally it gave the option to start up in “Safe Mode.” When I tried that it asked me to insert the game disk. My is a digital download so there is no game disk. In fact, I have had a DVD drive on any computer for years. Three hours later, I’m giving up. How can it be that Microsoft doesn’t know how to simplify customer updates in 2021?

Read above to find the answer. You DO have to install the XBOX app, and you DO have to get the update from the store, where it is confusing and hard to find. And I fully agree with your last question. Come on Microsoft, this is the 21st century!