Mandatory updates!

first of all - of course a big thank you to the work that is put in here, no question about it, but:
a suggestion again to MS and ASOBO - please turn off the mandatory updates - the last days everything including MCE, Pilot2ATC, SimSounds, and A320NX worked perfectly together.
Except for the little “beauty flaws” like night lighting etc. (is known).
But the performance itself (of course with some small drawbacks at big airports) was also great, had great flights and now you can’t even use the default A320, beside the 10-15 FPS lost on larger airports (A320NX will probably be delivered soon but they will probably fight with the “left-hand twist - banking to the left” themselves. Finally I was able to use the SIM well and now it’s over again - until the next update !
BR

System: 10920X @4.6Ghz watercooled, 64GB RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 2080Ti, all SSD, 150Mbit, 1200Watt PSU, Resolution 5760x1080 (3 x 27" NvidiaSorroud)

6 Likes

The banking to left issue I guess I didn’t know people struggled with.

Literally up until today if you looked up and disabled SEC1 the plane would fly and land perfectly without intervention really in most cases.

Now after the latest update it just liked doing random barrel rolls regardless. It also if you can manage to keep it from barrel rolling will always track to the right of the flightplan.

ok I had it on the left - but apparently they are rolls in both directions - so like you said random barrel rolls !

If you had flybywire installed delete it. Then also delete the default a320 and let it redownload.

Then fly (always in the a320 in FS) with SEC1 disabled after it reinstalls and it will fly like a champ just tested it :smiley:

Or you could just go the hooptie route and use ASAP (all Sim Auto Pilot) it works pretty well and will basically autoland any plane if you put in the right parameters. Even at super awkward airports :slight_smile:

ok thank you very much !

what I also meant is, of course, updates are necessary - no question, again, thanks to the people involved in Asobo and all those involved.
I would only change the way they are done.

1. world updates - I would do without bug fixes, is meant - addon content without fixes to the game itself.
  2. major updates and important updates with version number and changelog
  3. bugfixes that don’t take that long to get through the long wait.
  4. automatic offical content update !
    AND the possibility to NOT execute the update and still be able to use the game, similar to XPlane.
    There you can switch to the old version faster without long troubleshooting, even during development, if there are errors.
    Of course as a suggestion and examples here - all wishes and suggestions will not be easy to implement - probably they want to avoid a chaos of different versions.

You have my vote!

Maybe even a “next time” option on the update screen.

I am spending more time fixing, downloading (download loop is significant) and pulling hair out at each update than enjoying the simulator.

The whole experience of MSFS reminds me of using a printer on Win 3.0, an hours faff to print one sheet.

It would be nice to wave off the update for a few days at least.

What is SEC1? Is this a setting that you are changing as a workaround or is it actually that people are setting the plane up incorrectly? Thanks

Turn them to optional !!!

Its an online ecosystem. Everyone needs to be on the same version. This is why they can’t do the beta version for testing until Q1 next year - they’ve got to duplicate all the infrastructure to run 1 different version.

Now imagine bug fixing if there are multiple versions on multiple different hardware configurations… impossible

6 Likes

You could keep MSFS running? As long as you don’t shut it down, no update :+1:.

Would be easier if everyone is on an older version. Older version = less bugs to fix :sweat_smile:.

I’m gathering this is very much a tongue in cheek comment, but I’ll add my 2 cents regardless :slight_smile:

All clients (us) need to be on the same version as the server in this new online data streaming world. Staying on an older version is simply not an option anymore.

I hope and suspect the newer pre-release (third party) testing system they’re putting in next year will solve many of the issues. I notice we’re already going from bi-weekly patches to monthly updates.

It might take longer to get newer version to us, but hopefully we’ll get a smoother update experience (especially concerning third party content) in the future.

Anyways, I’m still happy with the rapid-development route they chose for the first couple of months.

5 Likes

Has anyone created a thread in the bugs forum so that we can vote on the request to stop forcing the updates? I’d vote on that in a heartbeat. Since the day I installed it back in September there are now several issues that didn’t exist before so I would certainly prefer to wait and see feedback from those that updated before hitting the update button.

Why don’t you use the search function in the top right of your screen to find out?

Anyways, it’s pointless. This is an ‘always online’ sim. For it to work you need to be on the same software version as the server. Try imagining bug hunting if people were on different software functions. It would turn into a massive mess really fast.

Just accept that times have changed.

5 Likes

Sorry but that is BS, how does every other software on the planet do it then? That’s a silly excuse, not looking to argue and not trying to be rude, but that really just makes no sense. When you submit a bug report they ask what version of the Sim you are using as well as which Windows build you are using. They absolutely do not need to force an update. Even anti-virus softwares allow you to turn off auto-update.

No other massive online game has different builds anymore. Everyone plays the same build of Dota 2, WoW, CoD, etc.

This is how it is now. Even DCS with it’s stable and open beta builds has an issue in which the player base of the beta far out numbers the stable build.

2 Likes

I don’t see mandatory updates as a problem. I see mandatory and immediate updates as a problem!

I would like to see the option to temporarily postpone introduced, particularly as the time between updates increases. Perhaps a max 48hr postponement with option to select ‘update now’ whenever you want within that time?

I’ve just finished an 11hr shift, 01:30 GMT. I want to fly for an hour or so to unwind, if there was a mandatory update I would not be able to fly until sometime tomorrow (poor internet - the recent update took 12 hrs to download). With the ability to postpone I could come home, have my fly and then set it downloading overnight while I sleep.

Because Anti-virus only sends you a couple MB when you want to update your definitions. This is streaming GB’s of data from a server that has to work with your client. If the format of the streaming data is changed in such a way the client can’t read it, then, the client isn’t going to work. They change the format of the data stream with every update as they add more features and change the way data is used.

However, I bet if you downloaded a cache, and ran the software offline (you have to set that up through the store), then you wouldn’t have to update. But you’d probably be limited to fly in the area you have downloaded. And it would be autogen only, maayyyybeee some photgrammetry? I don’t know the specifics of flying offline, but you may be able to avoid updates that way. Which isn’t any good now. I wish I was back at the last version. This one is ■■■■ where I fly (Northeast US), photogrammetry bushes and buildings everywhere look super ugly when you’re at an airport.

The thing is I did test caching Manhattan and the frame rate drop still existed even in the manually cached version. It was about 2-5 fps better than non manual cached but again it was still way lower framerate than before this latest update. They are making changes to the fundamental functioning of the Sim that I don’t think have anything to do with streaming of data. What does streaming have to do with autopilot functions getting more and more broken? Again, I don’t think there’s any reasonable argument to require a forced update.

As long as Asobo is relying on the community for bug reports, mandatory updates are necessary. Imagine trying to chase a bug when there are 10 versions of the sim in the wild.

I personally wish Asobo would ignore the community for the moment and hire some freakin’ real world pilots, in house, to test these patches until all the avionics and aircraft performance problems are solved. After that, then they can be open for suggestions from the community.

2 Likes