Massive 25 second freeze

Oh okay, cause I did the same with the FlyByWire with no rolling cache and it was worse alot more stutters and freezes than normal, I wonder if this is a sim issue or a Hardware issue

I’ve questioned that myself. Every time it occurs, it lasts for almost exactly 2 minutes. It’s acting like my hardware is trying to shut down for a bit, then turns back on (i know, that sounds weird). This is the only game that this happens to, and it only started since SU5 (I think).

This last flight (after all that occurred), I received a warning that I didn’t have enough bandwidth, then my cursor disappeared, and then the plane froze in mid air and became unresponsive… what a strange group of bugs. I recorded most it this last time. It mat take a while for YouTube to render it in it’s full resolution.

The default A320:

hmm, I think next time I do a flight I will have resource monitor open to see what mines does, also any chance you could upload your settings that you use so we can compare and see if it might be a setting issue or something else…

Also do you have rolling cache on or off?

The last two flights that I did was with an empty scenery cache. I also had the cache turned off. I also cleared everything out before flying.

I’m about to do the same flight again two more times, and with the FBW a320. This time I will turn on the cache. Typically I leave it on with a storage space of about 100GB on a separate, dedicated drive.

If my thinking is correct, after the first flight the cache should fill up with scenery for this flight. The second flight shouldn’t require as much bandwidth because the scenery will already be on disk. Maybe it’ll be a little bit easier on the computer and not require as many resources… I don’t know…

Here are my graphic settings:

…and Data settings:

I

Perfect, I have done the same flight again one in the Default Asobo A320 and one in the FlyByWire and oh I have results :slight_smile:

So here is my current settings… Yes I could up them which I plan on doing but I was thinking :thinking: is it cause my settings are too high but seems not, cause this even still happens if I set the preset to low

MSFS Settings

Now onto the videos

Here we have the Asobo A320, we are climbing up into cruise coming up on FL170 for FL310 it freezes but then recovers about 25 seconds later… Now if you look at the resource monitor and see what happens during the time it freezes along with MSI afterburner monitor my GPU and Power usage dip down to nothing but then recovers and goes on it’s day. Btw this happens every 8-10mins of flight.

Also if you look a resource monitor when the freeze it happening the Flight Simulator task goes red (Not Responding) but then comes back.

Default A320 Freeze

On to the FlyByWire A320NX

Same thing again but this time a little different I get 2 one during push back and another when climbing into cruise again I believe I was passing FL130 for FL310 when it happened only difference between the two is I get a small micro stutter on the push back before the freeze actually happens which can be seen in the video

FlyByWire A320 P/B Freeze

Climbing into cruise Freeze

It looks a little blurry but hope it is okay to make it and understand the chart is the main focus here on what could be the cause of this to happen every 8-10mins of flight

1 Like

It looks like you’re getting the same thing I am. Your resource monitor shows nearly the same thing more frequently, but the duration of each occurrence is less.

I just flew the same route twice (KLAS - KSFO) and had the same results, then I shut off ALL internet data and flew it one last time. Surprisingly it happened again. I’m starting to think it’s either

• A. an issue within the sim itself or
  • B. an issue with my hardware

The strange thing is that it occurs at the same location every single time, so I don’t want to believ it’s a hardware issue. I hope it’s not a hardware issue because this stuff isn’t cheap. It’s a newly built computer that’s just outside it’s warranty, lol. So at this point I’m stuck. Until more people chime in, I’ll just keep trying different settings within the sim and hopefully I’ll find a solution, or at least a cause.

My next flight I’ll turn down all graphic settings to see if that may help. At this point, who knows… :anguished: :pleading_face:

Yep I know and my hardware is well in the high end and suprise to be getting this issue, but at least the data we are providing will see to the Asobo team that there is a issue or it could be graphics driver issue or hardware related

1 Like

…and another but this time the approach was at KJFK. It seems it happens around ~60nm from the airport that this occurs. I’ve tried replicating this with benchmarks and reliability tests and nothing gives me problems like this.

If anyone else has issues like this, please post here.

MSFS bug (1.20.6.0) - FBW A320 approach @ KJFK

Well I did a flight today Edinburgh to Bristol again and had 0 freezes or stutters at all, going to test further and see but I may have found a fix for it

Nice.

I had no freezes yesterday during a flight, but today was different. Like in a previous video above, it caused loss of control and an over-stress situation on my way to Orlando. :anguished: :pleading_face:

So I did 2 flights one on my custom settings I posted above ^^ and then one on low-end

Here is my afterburner results from custom settings

As you can see from this one, I have one large freeze spike then later I get another one that is smaller the smaller on is 25seconds and then comes back from a recover, the larger one is 50seconds before it recovers.

Here is my afterburner on low-end settings

As you can see from this one, I have one smalle one which only lasted 25seconds and then comes back from a recover

Flight I did both 2 times was Edinburgh to Gatwick, first one being without scenery and the 2 flight being with the flightsim.to scenery for free. Both these tests were done on the Game Ready Driver of 471.41 from July.

Really begininig to wonder if this is a sim realated issue over my hardware

My Hardware:

i7-9700K 3.6Ghz OC to 4.6Ghz
32GB DDR4 RAM 3200Mhz
RTX 3080 Founders Edition - Power Limit set to 90%
Samsung 870 Evo SSD (4TB) | Read speed: 562MB/s | Write Speed: 532MB/s

Okay scratch that idea I never found a fix, So I have results as I was thinking okay it could of been a region thing but nope happens everywhere I go

All these tests were concluded in the FlyByWire 3 airports

First, Edinburgh - Gatwick, Crusing at FL350, Default Scenery, no rolling cache and turning Data all off

Still get the massive freeze stutter

Second, Amsterdam (Handcrafted) - Edinburgh, On the ground at the stand setting up, no rolling cache and turning Data all off

Same again, but one longer one this time lasting up to 50seconds

Third, San Fran - Los Angeles (Handcrafted), Approch into LA, no rolling cache and turning Data all off

Same issue

So I thought okay, I will ask a few streams on Twitch to ask around, some have had stuttering issues but none like mines where it freezes for a length of time and they don’t know how to go about fixing it.
Then I cam across one streamer that said he got 15 second freezes on Approch and he said he fixed it by doing a complete reinstall of the sim and making sure your windows is up to date. So I went okay I will do a full reinstall as my Windows is up todate as I did a check to see if I had any updates and I had none. I removed everything related to flight sim including the ones that get buried in the C: Drive hidden away and proceed to reinstall… took 16 hours due to Microsoft caping the download at 10MB’s a second.

That got completed, I launched it for the first time, went in and done all my control settings etc and put everything back to how it was for testing purposes to see if it fixed anything: Testing purpose

Graphics > Low-End
Data > Off
Rolling Cache > Off & deleted

I shutdown the sim to make sure those settings applied, then rebooted it, set up for Edinburgh - Gatwick like normal all was smooth on the ground no freeze or stutters, departed out to the West and climb up to FL350 no issues. Now at this time I was thinking okay seems I may have fixed it, I am all happy as that was a pain to do, but that came to a end when I was approching FL280 where it then froze again for 25 seconds and then I went okay and thought to myself this is not a hardware issue, this has to be a sim related issue.
Reason: I have rolling cache off, I have data off so I am not downloading any data from the servers, go no addon scenery for Edinburgh or Gatwick in my community folder just the FlyByWire and it still freezes

I really hope this can be addressed as it is not fun to experience as you don’t know if it will recover or end with a CTD.

1 Like

@Sky1732511 Any news from your end on testing since Sim Update 7 to see if this has been fixed? I am in the process of downloading the update and will be testing it over the next few days on both DX11 and DX12…

Route I will do for the testing:
Edinburgh (EGPH) - London Gatwick (EGKK)
FlyByWire A320NX Dev Version
Flightplan: GOSAM P600 FENIK UL612 DCS UN864 SUBUK DCT KEPAD L151 DISIT
FL310

No airport addons/ tools or Liveries installed just stock with the FlyByWire
I will also test with online data on and off to see if it happens as I got it no matter what

Testing on Low-End as I was still getting them no matter what Graphics settings I was on.

1 Like

Sim Update 7 Test from post above ^^^

First Image: DX11 - Low-End - Offline (Turned off Bing Data and Photogramatry) - In Cruise
Image from MSI Afterburner

Still get the micro freeze but looks less during this time

Second Image: DX11 - Low-End - Offline (Turned off Bing Data and Photogramatry) - Pulling onto stand at default Gatwick

Third Image: DX11 - Low-End - Online

Fourth Image: DX12 - Low-End - Offline (Turned off Bing Data and Photogramatry) - In Cruise
On Approach into Default Gatwick we got a CTD

Error from CTD on DX12 - Beta

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001bd5223
Faulting process id: 0x2cb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7e1319f7a1245
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: f9824486-3172-4801-a225-2603cf512c3a
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

I didn’t try DX12 Online as after that CTD I feel like I would get the same results, so this issue hasn’t yet been fixed for myself in this new update. Any chance of getting any assistance on trying to figure out what could be the cause of this issue been really annoying.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed any serious issues like I posted earlier in this thread. I do get very brief stuttering, typically lasting no more than a couple seconds each time.

The earlier flights I mentioned above were KLAS - KSFO, but I haven’t tried that specific flight yet. The next time I fly, I’ll try that again and see if there’s a change or noticeable difference.

I hope this gets resolved soon. I’ll keep you posted. :slight_smile:

I flew from KLAS to KSFO and I didn’t notice any more of those annoying pauses. Typically that specific flight always gave me problems so I hope that’s been fixed.

At this point, I have just started to assume that all issues are sim related, as I have a decent computer that has run the sim fine in the past without issues. I WILL NOT waste time reinstalling the sim or reinstalling windows to fix Asobo’s cock ups!!

I have recently been getting stutters while approaching airports in the sim. Not a 25 second one, but like 10-15 seconds then everything is normal. I do not get stutters at any other point in flight. I can take off from the offending airport and fly around no issue, just when approaching.

I do not even know where to begin anymore! Asobo has really messed up this sim, and I think they don’t know how to recover at this point… I am getting ■■■■■■ that they are dicking around with a sim that I spent good money on and that is getting old REAL QUICK.

1 Like

That’s exactly what was happening to me (as mentioned above) but the pauses I had lasted about 2 minutes in some cases.

Oof that is not good

Yep I know and no word from the Asobo team on this either, I have no gone back to P3D until this issue is resolved of as of right now left to burry in the sand.