Massive FPS drop because of SU9

Windows HPET? What’s that?

I removed some addons and got more stability in performance. Have you tried to delete addons.

Addon i removed:

Bijan season mod no update since february
all of my liveries
pms gtn
Gaist

Don’t know what cause lower performance. Will try add 1 back everytime i start the sim and see what caused it. But remove all of your addons and then compare performance.

Every single airport in this sim is different optimised. The performance can be much different depending on airport. I wish all of the airports would run like those default airports.

Those settings is most heavy on CPU

1. photogrammetry (i think those varies much depending on location). Turnes that off for now. Will test next update if they are better optimised.

2. all settings in traffic tab is really unoptimised (Asobo needs to optimise those for sure). Turned everey single item in this to off and 0 including live traffic to off increased my fps by 20fps. I wish we had a traffic density slider for livetraffic.

Set it like this and you will notice how bad optimised traffic is. They should not require that much CPU power because the AI is dumb.

1. T-lod (removing addons and decreasing those above make me increase this setting to the setting i had pre su9)

2. This i’m a bit unsure of but i think setting renderscale higher or lower than 100 will make the CPU increase in load because it needs to downscale or upscale and this needs cpu-power.

Conclusion:

I think they made changes to traffic that reduced performance in su9. It’s also much more airtraffic now than before in the realworld and make it also more in the sim because of that. I use the sim without until they optimise all things in traffic settingstab.

2 Likes

Windows High Precision Event Timer. There are boatloads of articles and videos that suggest many (but certainly not all) people have seen fps increases and studdering decreases when you turn off this windows feature using either Device Manager or a command line code. Google it and you will see the articles explaining what it is and also the various results. It’s not a foolproof thing and like many of these tweaks it may or may not help your particular use case. I just wish Asobo would say something publicly about this more than “investigating” after so many posts and more than a few weeks of this particular bug.

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen that, but I’ll definately be looking for it now. cheers

Damnnnn, I’ve just diabled HPET on my system and tested it… OMG thank you!!!

2 Likes

I already had it disabled in the past.
Probably because of some real-time GPU render software. So no improvement for me.
I still have 15 fps drops every time I see these vapours FX.
From 55 to 39 fps or lower. It’s just a short-term fps drop.

Btw. Seafront simulations(in contact with Asobo) also have FPS drop issues with their Ship FX stuff.
They recommend to delete the Seafront Core VisualEffectLibs. link to post

idk there is a connection between all these issues.
I would say FX is one of many issues.
Photogrammetry is another one and so on.

2 Likes

Another video with some tricks:

I can confirm ur codeblock test.
Blocking these FX lines gives me stable 55-53 fps when I fly crazy maneuver in my F15 :slight_smile:

<!--
		<Component ID = "PressTrail_Left_FX">
			<Parameters Type="Override">
				<FX_GRAPH_PARAM_0>Side, -1</FX_GRAPH_PARAM_0>
			</Parameters>
			<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_FX_PRESSURETRAIL">
				<FX_NODE>fx_presstrail_02</FX_NODE>
			</UseTemplate>
		</Component>

<Component ID = "PressTrail_Right_FX">
				<FX_GRAPH_PARAM_0>Side, 1</FX_GRAPH_PARAM_0>
			</Parameters>
			<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_FX_PRESSURETRAIL">
				<FX_NODE>fx_presstrail_01</FX_NODE>
			</UseTemplate>
		</Component>

<Component ID = "WingVapour_Left_FX">
				<FX_GRAPH_PARAM_0>Side, -1</FX_GRAPH_PARAM_0>
			</Parameters>
			<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_FX_WINGVAPOUR">
				<FX_NODE>fx_presstrail_02</FX_NODE>
			</UseTemplate>
		</Component>

<Component ID = "WingVapour_Right_FX">
				<FX_GRAPH_PARAM_0>Side, 1</FX_GRAPH_PARAM_0>
			</Parameters>
			<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_FX_WINGVAPOUR">
				<FX_NODE>fx_presstrail_01</FX_NODE>
			</UseTemplate>
		</Component>
-->

But I will reverse this and keep that vapour.
Hope Asobo fix FX issue with next Sim version.

We can confirm that using VFX is a problem in SU9. Asobo have told us that “A fix came with SU9 that allowed an VFX to be updated even when the model is not rendered”. This inadvertently created this bug/performance impact with our and other scenery that makes full use of VFX. It causes the sim to try to generate wake/smoke effects for hundreds of ships that are far out of sight.

We will need to wait until SU10 flighting to validate the fix. That said, it may not be the only cause of the various performance issues experienced after SU9 but it is the one we are most focused on.

5 Likes

I just made the same change. After so many hours struggling with poor performance, I am now able to turn airport vehicle density back to 50 default and TLOD back from 150 to 200 once airborne.

However, I still am unable to run some add-ons or turn off generic AI planes.

This helps alot. But I still want my full CPU back. I hope Asobo can fix the SU9 mainthread issue in SU10.

Edit:
My configuration ( in case it’s hardware related).

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
NVIDIA RTX 2080 in 1440
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16 32GB

Folks, I’ve just tested this out too…

If you have the windows High Precision Event Timer on (HPET), it can also cause these exact issues with the vapour effects!! (it can also cause the frame drops at low altitudes when taking off and landing)

You can disable it via Command Prompt run as an administrator. Type:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

Press enter and restart your pc.

Enjoy your vapour effects again!!

My Windows 11 doesn’t appear to have it.

Check if it shows “High precision event timer” under “System devices” folder in Device Manager. If so, then right click on it and choose “Disable device”. You might want reboot afterward just to be sure it remains disabled.

No. Not there.

Sorry to hear that. It may only be available with certain hardware.

FYI, I was also unable to see it or disable it using the command line. It was only in Device Manager for me.

because this value already has been deleted. That’s why it doesn’t appear.
here some examples

disable value(same effect):
bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

delete value:
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

enable value:
bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

edit:
don’t forget to restart your system after change value.
for me, this increases performance but I still suffer up to 15 fps drops when fx renders.
value enabled = 17-20 fps (with vapour effects seen = 7-10fps)
value disabled = 50-55 fps (with vapour effects seen = 37-42 fps)

2 Likes

Add another HPET success story here.

Was getting a FPS drop and huge frame time spikes after 2 hour plus flight with the PMDG 737.

From a steady 40 fps (locked via SteamVR 80mhz) in VR with a 5800x3d and 3080ti, down to 25-29 with horribly high frame times causing crazy stutters when about 50 miles or so out from my destination.

Saw y’all talking about this HPET trick. I was skeptical but I’m always open to trying something new. Couldn’t disable via cmd line (error about the element not found or something). Disabled it via task manager and rebooted.

2 and a half hour flight this morning in the 737. Took off at a smooth 40 fps and landed with a smooth 40 fps. Frame timings remained very steady.

Live weather, all multiplayer, mostly all high settings and several addons installed. All WU and all PG installed and enabled.

I don’t know what HPET does but MSFS is not playing nice. As far as my system goes anyway.

EDIT: NOT task manager. I disabled it via DEVICE manager.

2 Likes

Ron… so far I know is the platform-clock (hpet) usually not forced to use per default…
( or you have a bios where you can and have disabled the hpet in generally , therefore may be you not see it in device-manager ).
PS: I read strange things about related to amd users…

these error mean “it was already disabled”… what exactly you disabled in taskmanager ?

note: a bcdedit /enum show you whats currently set :slight_smile:

I read somewhere that disable it in bios can cause problems. Should be done in windows.

1 Like

I think not… also lots of BIOS have not the option to special disable it. Windows decide what is to use ( with existing HPET in devicemanager or not ) and so far I know is these “force” parameter not a default ( so also not hpet). Also bcedit docu stated it as “for debugging …” …