Massive FPS drop because of SU9

I was getting terrible fps on pc. Everything was tanking and was limited by main thread. After a while even lowering settings to low end or medium did very little to help the situation, it’s as if the settings are corrupted. What I did was repair the program in settings, and then loaded it up in safe mode.

I then created a quick flight, set everything to medium in my settings, let that finish and moved back to the menu before quitting out of the program.

I then did the same thing but ran it in normal mode, with no addons in community. Quit back out and relaunched.

I then set everything to ultra, vsync on and 30 fps cap at a troublesome airport. And then I made slight adjustments to some of the settings. I now have a rock solid fps on mostly ultra and dev mode is showing my gpu is being limited rather than main thread.

I then added back in my addons in community.

I use addon linker on a separate drive and orbx central on a separate drive.

I’m enjoying MSFS again. The only issues I now get are usually server side and they odd bad payware.

I have uninstalled the ASUS GPU Tweak. Seem not much help.
Got 11 fps after takeoff.
Decreased to < 10 fps after reach FL380.

HW: Ryzen 9 5950X - 64GB RAM - ASUS TUF RTX3080 10G

was at least a try :slight_smile:

Because we can see in your screenshot that you are limited by mainthread, I have only the common points in mind:

• reduce LOD to <200
  • check whether photogrammetry cause that for you ( but it’s usually a ‘on ground’ thing )

note: your topic seems merged, may be you can re-check older hints in this topic here

Is High Precision Event Timer (HPET) enabled? Is it disabled?

We have verified in the past that if HPET is enabled on Ryzen series, the FPS may be extremely worse on MSFS.
Disabling it improved the situation.

Method
Open a command prompt as administrator
bcdedit /enum

useplatformclock->Yes
Since it is enabled, disable it.
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
and reboot to disable

useplatformclock->No or there is no item
Disabled.

The LOD already set to 100 before.
I have change some graphics settings and switch back to dx11 but seem still useless.
Even I got more than 60 fps on ground, the fps will significantly drop to single number after take off.
Really not sure what happen.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have try that before which not much help also.
Also, there are some post that mentioned disable HPET may also have more harm than good.

1 Like

I am sorry that I was not helpful.

Regarding the phenomenon of FPS fluctuations caused by HPET, is it still ongoing? I had a question about this, and that is why I dared to cause the trouble as of SU10Beta 1.27.09 (4 weeks ago).
As a result of the experiment, we were able to reproduce a 60FPS environment that became 10FPS with HPET=ON.
When I changed it to OFF, it returned to normal.

Seem I found the reason of fps drop. Currently, I got around 30 fps after takeoff. A huge different than before.
Seem the program will have some issue for non-English OS.
The solution is to enable the Unicode encode which is one of the bate function from windows.

I will also file a ticket to Asobo since that should be a compatible issue.

5 Likes

ah… the creation of Flightplan for none english users issue… The guess about the “why” is mentioned one post above the one you linked ( its possible more like a windows problem , but who knows ).

Beside of creation of a ticket, we have also a Bug where you can Vote:

2 Likes

This may seem very trivial, but if you’re an AMD Ryzen user… Make sure you have the latest chipset software installed for your platform. AMD updates this software every few months so it’s worth keeping an eye out for.

(P.S. Motherboard manufactures don’t always have the most recent version, so best to download this directly from AMD)

Uninstall old version >>> Restart PC >>> Install new version >>> Restart PC.

This should apply to Intel user’s as well…

I have this problem too ! i dont know for what and if i change the view for the cockpit view in Montpellier airport (LFMT) i have 15 FPS and if i change to external view i have 30 just ■■■… that has no sence…

I run with the photogrammetry on and all citie update (i have try to unninstal and yes i have a better performance but i lost photogrametry for Paris or other citie…) and i have a GTX 1080 Gaming X, 16 Gb of RAM, I7 7700k and i run in 1080p, if you can test in the same airport (LFMT) let me a feedback just for know if it is this just me or not (and sorry for my english in advance im french…)

Ok guys i have a track of the issue maybe, i have remove all 3D cities photogrammetry and i have lets photogrammetry on ON my FPS come back normaly, after i have reinstall again all 3D cities but i have reinstall first France, Japan and Italy, after that i have restart my game, and after reboot i go to KLAX and no FPS drop anormaly… so after that i have reinstall the rest of 3D citie previously uninstaled (USA, Germany etc…) restart the game again after and i have always no FPS drop again… i have test in Los Angeles KLAX and my FPS is good now with the same setting than before… before my game only had 8 - 13 FPS and yet with the same setting… this is very anormal and i think the problem is the 3D citie of the World Update (texture maybe acumulated i dont know…) but Asobo please fix this, for info my game has 25 FPS now at KLAX with the same setting (Ultra, photogrammetry ON with all citie 3D of the world update) and before with exactly the same setting again I couldn’t even get past 10 fps, Asobo you need to investigate your world update you have définitly a problem here

Ah and I also noticed another problem too, when i have the white circle on the down right of the screen i have a big stutter or fps drop too (especially during takeoff or landing), when i activate the dev mode the circle disapere and i have no more problem, he reappears only when i shut the engine of the plane and when i finish the flight and my FPS drop at this moment again anormaly, my FPS drop anomarly all time on all airport after finishing a flight (after the feneter with the logbook) and i constat all time the white circle at the same time when i shut the engines so i think he have a problem here too…

Sorry for my english again

I think create a topic for this… it has to be visible for asobo patch this issue…

2 Likes

Massive stutters when panning camera around (or flying low, or taxiing, taking off) were NOT fixed in Sim Update X even though it was promised to be fixed. Asobo, you can’t be serious about this.

• Terrain Pre-Caching is of course on ultra
  • On DX-12 it’s even worse
6 Likes

For me i have a big amelioration for FPS (especially in airports where there are cities in photogrammetry) now photogrammetry work good and not instable but yeah i have too the stutter (sometime for my case) but enter the Sim Update 9 and now the Sim Update 10 this is the day and the night for the FPS, good job Asobo for this

For info my config is I7 7700k, GTX 1080, 16 GB of RAM and i run on 1920x1080 Ultra with weather, trafic live and photogrammetry ( and just the LOD at 160 on 400) i have not tested DX 12 for the moment

1 Like

sorry… but, beside of these red-markers in fps-counter, which I dont care about, I see no " Massive stutters" in that video…

Same here. I even have stutters in the menus. I am using v-sync so you would not expect a 3090 card to be overloaded in the menus.

2 Likes

TBH SU10 is way more FPS intensive than SU9 I was getting 50 to 60 now I get 25 to 30 on same settings as I had in SU9

3 Likes

I followed these instructions and had some of my worst stuttering in MSFS

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12 Core
64GB 3600MHz Ram
AMD RX 6900 XT Tried Stock speeds(2324MHz min ~ 2424MHz Max) and overclocked (2625MHz min ~ 2725MHz)

Performance results with GPUZ
Low clock

2 Likes

He’s moving it so fast, any stutters are pretty hard to see…!

Improved in most recent sim updates.