Massive FPS drop because of SU9

My ground fps is much lower.

2 Likes

Forget it. It is an issue with SU9. Donā€™t waste your time on fixing things which can only be fixed by Asobo

3 Likes

Asobo/MSFS Supports are looking onto this i guess.Thats what I got from their twitter handle:

4 Likes

Once I finally figured out my crash to reboot problem after installing Windows, Nvidia driver, and Sim updates on the same day, I noticed my Main Thread was not happy on the ground at KJFK again.

I lowered my LODs from 200 to 150 and saw some improvement.

I then moved all my traffic sliders from 100 down to 5 to achieve the same Main Thread latencies I had in SU8.

Volumetric clouds from Ultra to High to get more consistent frame times from the GPU in weather.

Flying over (through) Manhattan at 300 AGL got me the smoothest 33 fps I have ever seen over NYC in my 2 years of testing settings in this sim, and I didnā€™t get the massive performance loss from the GPU getting its sh!t kicked in over Central Park.

Did overall frame rate drop a bit? Yes, I lost 1-2 fps once the CPU was happy with my new settings.

Did it turn into a stuttering mess? Not at all. Not even when I started seeing frame rates in the mid 20s over the park.

Overall, the sim looked better and ran more smoothly, more consistently, without the major hitches and spikes in certain areas, than it ever has for me. The little hitching I used to see panning from the left wing to the instrument panel went away too.

My point? In my opinion, the performance has improved overall. But the load that TRAFFIC puts on the Main Thread in SU9 is much higher than it was in SU8. And as I have said time and again, every sim update comes with load changes on your hardware. You just need to understand that and adjust for it until the Devs finish tweaking performance by redistributing rendering loads across the hardware.

2 Likes

Shocking just shocking updateā€¦never was this bad beforeā€¦Screenshot says it all! lol

1 Like

If we need to turn down tLOD by 25%, Clouds one notch lower and traffic by 95% to almost get a simulator performance we had with former SU than indeed something is not right with SU9ā€¦

8 Likes

This happens with every update since the sim was released. The next sim update will require tweaks as well. As a matter of fact, these settings I described are very similar to the settings I had to use in SU7. There seems to be a pattern forming between the even and odd numbered sim updates. If this is your first flight simulator experience, or you havenā€™t been seeing the changes since day one, then strap in, because you are going to be upset every time a new update is released.

4 Likes

Never had this weird behavior before with a SU.
We had bugs that were fixed, new bugs appeared .
But this is more .

Luckily on Twitter they showed that they were aware of this performance loss after SU9.

Fingers crossed ā€¦.

2 Likes

Well this night was just weird. I donā€™t know if Asobo pushed an update or whatā€¦but thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking. 10PM Pacific time I entered MSFS and it went into a weird windowed mode with a big cursor. Then It popped up a window that said Do you want to use an older profile or a new profile on the cloud. I said old profile on the computer. Then it went to an update of about 197MB. Which went by in a few seconds. After which i noticed everything was super smooth in the UI. So I went to Asobo KATL and was seeing 45-60 FPS. So on a whim I decided Reinstall the 7 Photogrammety sceneries and then went to Asobo KATLā€¦ still 45-60 fps. Got out of MSFS, wen back in made sure the 7 photogrammetry sceneries were there and then went to KATLā€¦ 45-60 FPSā€¦ Went a few more places solid 45-60 FPS everywhere. Did anyone else get this experience?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had a lot of issues with previous updates, but related more to functionality e.g. weather, flight models, wind/fuel settings in world map not working etc rather than performance.

However this is the first update Iā€™ve had to drastically reduce my LOD settings to make the sim workable, without having changed anything on my computer or video card setup. Iā€™ve also had to knock down the clouds, not sure what theyā€™ve done, it would be nice if they told us. Maybe the LOD bar has been recalibrated so that a lower setting for example now gives the same graphics? I havenā€™t checked this and donā€™t have screenshots against which to compare, so it would be nice to get some information.

5 Likes

I can run well on all Ultraā€™s and DLDSR 2.25 with an RTX 2070 Super (and I7 9700K and 1080), at least until SU8, where Iā€™m now having some issues, but much less with Terrain LOD dialed down ā€¦ but wonder why the SDK FPS window, RTSS, and Task Manager all show different GPU utilization ?

How does one find and delete the PG cities? I think I have all of them installed. Is it just the ones in the area you are flying ?

Now this I can believe 100%. Makes perfect sense to me. Any idea why LODs had to reduce, just to compensate for traffic loading of CPU? What did they do to traffic in this update to cause extra cpu use? I didnā€™t notice anything specific in the release notes.

1 Like

To add some relevant contrast: I have NO performance degredation whatsoever, and the 3D PG cities issues has no impact here when tested with all of them uninstalled or reinstalled. MSFS continues to perform exceedingly well and all flights from gate to gate. A poll was created on Avsim to tease out what % of users had any significant problems w/ performance or other after after some 220 votes submitted ~15% have experience problems w/ SU9 and the others, like myself, havenā€™t.

Good luck I hope the issues affecting a small but significant portion of PC users is resolved.

Could it be partly because there are simply more aircraft flying at big airports now ? ā€“ especially during these Easter holidays, which are the first ones where travel restrictions are mostly lifted?

2 Likes

VR same settings (no repro), same Area (somewhere in the german pampa), nearly same weather etc.

up in the Air
before 40-45FPS, now 26-35 FPS

Ground
before 36-40FPS, now 22-32
but less stutters

1 Like

I never thought about that aspect.

I donā€™t pretend to know what changes were made that caused the traffic settings to be so much heavier in this update. I just take a little time after each update to identify the changes, and adjust for them.

2 Likes

Yooooo thatā€™s a good point. More real world traffic, combined with fixes to Sim and AR traffic of all kinds appearing in the game could totally be the cause.

You uninstall the ones in the areas you wonā€™t fly and only keep the one you will use.

Search 3D photogrammetry cities and make sure the objects show itemized by clicking where the yellow arrow is pointing and restart the sim every time you delete them to see any changes. Adding them does not need a restart.

2 Likes