Massive FPS drops and stutters over LA

Hi there, I am suffering massive FPS drops and stutters over LA. Even downloading the entire Greater LA area via manual cache (35 GB) did not solve it. My system:

i9-10900k
GTX 3090
32 GB RAM
2TB SSD

Anybody else got this experience or any idea how to solve this?

Thanks

3 Likes

Currently there appears to be a bug affecting large numbers of users.

I have had inconsistent FPS problems since the update, but I recently was able to reproduce them reliably in a specific location.

The LA area is so big and so complex with aerial traffic that it is going to be hard to reproduce a problem - but I can log in and try if you are willing to trade.

My bad FPS was at KOMH. The bad FPS started with load in, but flying west about 1000 FT AGL 5 or 6 miles clears it up. But if you turn around and try to come back the bad FPS returns. That suggests there are problems with locations rather than the problem being random.

If you have the same problem then we can eliminate our PCS as the potential source of the problem.

i7-8700k
GTX 2080
32 GB RAM
1 TB SSD

1 Like

How in the world did they not see this FPS debacle before the release ?
This latest update was given to some or all of the marketplace developers too…right ?
And they all missed this ? And we discovered this right after the release ?
Oh, I get it, they did know about it but considered it not important enough to delay the latest release.

Guess they decided to deal with it later… or maybe they did not know what to do about it or how big of a problem it might generate. Maybe they still do not know what has caused this FPS issue.

6 Likes

Their QA process needs work - the devs have to have their folks test a variety of flights at a variety of conditions and hardware specifications before releasing and they have to hold a release if there is a problem that makes FPS drop from 60 to 10.

I double checked KOMH on my end again. On the ground 25 - 30 FPS and stutters. Once I am 5 or so miles west of the airport the FPS goes up to 60. If I go east instead of west, the FPS recovers to 50 FPS, rather than to my VSYNC frame limiter. It as if different grids have vastly different processing power requirements even in rural areas. FPS should of course vary as you approach an airport in an area like London, San Francisco or Tokyo, but not a rural GA airport in the sticks.

Amazingly rural areas are as affected as non rural ones. That is also why some people load up a flight lets say in London, see smooth frame pacing and claim that their simulator is running just fine, when in fact it isn’t.

There are multiple places where it drops and some where it just completely freezes. Torino IT is one of the latter. Three distinct flights with a TBM, two launches from different origin fields and one in-flight save, all at FL310, complete freeze. Craziness. KMLB in Florida is terrible, RWY9 approach, down to 1-2 fps, multiple confirmations.

It’s something systemic to the sim. Scarily, it might take until France/Benelux to get a fix out, if then. Personally I wouldn’t launch another World Update until this gets fixed, but then again, I wasn’t a big believer in the Cavalry Motto either (Audace, Audace, Toujours Audace). The only thing that is certain is things will change. For better or worse is the wager.

We’ll I’ll take a look at KMLB later today or tomorrow. If I see similar stuttering I’ll write back here.

I think in a game where they are simulating the world, there are obviously going to be imperfections. But they are the one’s who chose to simulate the whole world - if they can’t be confident their updates will work across 5000+ airports, let the community test the updates and find the problems. Or why not have the FPS logged automatically each flight and auto-report to Asobo when there are irregularities… It feels like there are a lot of potential systems for catching these glitches.

I do have some flights where there basically aren’t any problems, so I guess I should just refly the routes that I know work…

Well I can tell you Quebec City-Kuujjuaq-Sondestrom-Reykjavik-Shannon-Le Bourget was all smooth as silk. Once I got on my WT leg to Salerno, it all froze up as I exited the Alps.

Someone mapped two arcs over Alabama with multiple data points, so there’s something of a pattern to identify.

I tried KMLB - There was a stutter below 30 FPS but the game recovered to 45 - 50 FPS -which is what I usually got before the patch. Was this a particular approach (RNAV, ILS, etc.)? I’ll give that a try.

KLAX and KATL are my two worst-performing areas. EGLL is also awful. Known issue.

1 Like

RWY 9 was problematic.

See this thread.

It starts near FD74 Gamebird Groves Airstrip

Thanks! I loaded into that airport, FD74 on the ground. In an Icon. So nothing complex that should tax the simulator. 5. 5 FPS. I couldn’t test anything because I wasn’t about to let MSFS melt my CPU so I quit back to the menu after 15 seconds of 100% CPU utilization. Good grief. That is the worst FPS I’ve seen in years in any application or game.

Makes KOMH look like flawless perfection.

i9-10900k
64gb ram

I’m experiencing an amount of stutters after the recent world update.
LAX has been like this for a while since it’s a large photogrammetry city but I just noticed that I can’t even taxi out of KATL anymore with the payware scenery, where before I had no issues.

Even at non photogrammetry cities I get stutters which is uncommon for me. I hope they fix this soon and optimize the simulator how it was before.

Sliders are:
100/100/100

LAX could be rough before this patch, I agree.

I’m flying in the Caribbean with no FPS loss

Someone found a short-term workaround that appears to have a large helpful impact on the FPS performance bug…see this thread and many have tried it with success. .

I did a short flight to Sri Lanka. Beginning of flight was fine then severe stutters and freezes as I reached the destination which is lightly populated. Hardly a metropolis. I hoped it would stop but carried on for 20mins. In the end I turned it off. It was my first flight in 2 weeks. Will wait a few weeks for the next update and try again.

Comming from the south-east, stutterings starting above KLGB (Long Beach Arpt) Heading 300
Comming from the east, stutterings starting above KONT (Ontario Arpt) Heading 250

1 Like