May 18, 2023 Development Update Blog Discussion

Check out the latest Development Update here:

Please use this thread for feedback and discussion. Thank you!

6 Likes

The content in this marketplace update is disappointing, in my opinion. Mostly because it’s filled again with poor quality MScenery, Captain Sim, and light pack shovelware. The camp utility and KSAT coming to Xbox is good to see, though.

Also, the backlog only fell from 788 combined last week to 780 now. We’ll need to see faster progress if we hope to get the backlog cleared this year.

31 Likes

Bummer, looks like the 737 will be next week then.

3 Likes

Horrible, terrible, shameful this week of release! There should not only be a heart but also a dislike on this. Not even the ATR that was released as first-party has texture yet, but texture for Captain Sim in lots of 3 textures has plenty. PMDG sent the 737 to Xbox and the priority is Captain Sim and company.

30 Likes

Sorry for the outburst to my noble forum colleagues but that’s it.

10 Likes

Too much captain sim just too much guys

29 Likes

Awful again

10 Likes

Spent the afternoon learning the DC-6…curious what the update is (console’s done for the day so haven’t checked release notes). But yeah, 110% agree with the sentiment that quality products are being ignored because of more profitable trash. I think the “night enhanced” junk needs to be pulled and they can submit when they have an entire country.

15 Likes

another big flying boat as local legend … hurray … especially one where 4 of the 10 built crashed within a few years. Doesn’t sound so legendary to me.
I wish they would have found something a little less obscure in over 100 years of French aviation history.
But that’s probably just me. No accounting for taste

6 Likes

No PMDG 737 or any ATR liveries for xbox yet… :frowning_face:

5 Likes

Some posts removed.
A reminder to keep your posts constructive:

:small_blue_diamond:Improve the Discussion

We recognize that our forums are an official place for feedback on Microsoft Flight Simulator, whether it is positive, neutral, or negative. Help us make this a great place for discussion by always adding something constructive to the discussion, whether big or small. We do not remove posts for being negative; however, we do remove posts that are toxic or non-constructive (click here for specific examples on how to improve the discussion). Non-constructive posts do not add to the community and include but are not limited to:

• Being intentionally disruptive
  • Derailing threads
  • Creating threads for the sole purpose of promoting other threads or enticing users to vote on specific issues or wishlist items
  • Creating posts or threads intended to cause unrest in the forums
  • Bumping threads (except occasional reminders in Multiplayer events)
  • Discussions that deviate from Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Posting memes that break any of the other rules address in this Code of Conduct
  • Off-topic posts

If a member is found to have participated in such actions, it may result in any of the following actions:

• Be asked to remove the content from their post
  • Receive a formal warning; or,
  • Be banned from the forums for a length of time based on the severity of the infraction up to, and including, indefinitely
3 Likes

Serious? Every week the same developers, every week the same plane copies and pastes… they say they are going to improve the marketplace, but where is the improvement? And I believe that the community is within its right to find it bad, simple!

37 Likes

I think there are legit reasons why people are really starting to get annoyed and we explained it already guys, no surprise you need to put this rule reminder here today. Where the prioritization Jorg talked about in the last Q&A or even the one before, can’t remenber. Anyway I won’t copy/paste the same post every week to this point.

Great Update by AzurPoly btw everyone; check it, incredible passion they put in this plane.

9 Likes

To be fair, I don’t think MS is ignoring something like the PMDG 737, which is in high demand on Xbox, in favor of lower fidelity content. The move toward prioritizing content is itself a sign that they totally get that certain content shouldn’t be held up because of lower quality stuff that can be produced more quickly and in bigger volume.

I do think something like a more robust refund policy and written reviews could help combat low quality content on marketplace, though. There needs to be strong incentives for developers to hit a certain quality bar (which can be well under supposed “study level” aircraft; LVFR, for example, has shown what can be done creatively that adds value without having to produce highly complicated products).

9 Likes

It would be really helpful to get some insight into how things are being prioritized- clearly there’s a “priority system” being used, but what determines the products priority level?

For instance, these “planes” that are being put out by MScenery- what priority are they being given? Honestly, I don’t think they should even be allowed in the marketplace, but it would be great to know what level of priority these products are being given… Same with Capt.
Sim- they are literally putting out exact copies of planes they’ve already released (even the description says “a digital replica”) and it seems like they’re never ending.

The bottom line should really be quality>quantity, but right now it’s not happening.

12 Likes

Asobo have said they are prioritising quality add-ons but yet we still get mostly shovelware. A reasonable conclusion we can deduce from this is that a large majority of those 700+ unreleased add-ons are yet more shovelware, and that perhaps there’s less high quality work to look forward to than most of us had hoped for.

It stands to reason that if the queue is loaded with shovelware and then the backlog gets cleared, then the only outcome is to get many more weeks like the last few.

9 Likes

Guys - what is Microsoft supposed to do if devs like CaptainSim are playing by the rules, performing their own testing prior to Marketplace updates (burden now being on them), and queued up for release? How else would you ideally have this go?

So many responses to these threads are written as though people who are representatives of Microsoft have the ability to just fire off a “thanks but no thanks” email to those who are simply abiding by the process.

I just don’t think you get it. Don’t like it, don’t buy it. Fun to see new stuff every week, even if it’s something I’d never touch. Free market at work. Is a net positive for everybody. CaptainSim addons, and the cut that Microsoft/Asobo gets from the revenue, leads to amazing free AAU updates and World Updates. It keeps a very ambitious and unprecedented simulator alive. Keeps paychecks coming.

Maybe your favorite thing will be there next week. Until then, what’s with the bad vibes? You play a game that updates, sometimes VERY SUBSTANTIALLY, on a WEEKLY BASIS! This is awesome. Imagine being the person posting these official feedback threads hitting “submit” on the post, just waiting for the complaining to start.

We as a community don’t deserve how good we have it. Economy sucks right now. This could all just go away. Let’s just be good people.

33 Likes

Of course it’s legendary. Legend is that some flew without crashing!

3 Likes

Not much testing needed if you copy paste everything……

Here’s where I have an issue. I paid $60 for the DC-6. For that money, I got an incredibly detailed systems simulation, a full EFB to control it (including an AI flight engineer), beautiful textures, 500+ pages of documentation, and 20+ YouTube tutorial videos. I’m sure the PMDG sales volume is a fraction of the volume going to the spammers getting their cheap low quality addons approved every week and making up a growing amount of the Marketplace.

For everyone who will flame me for playing on Xbox, it’s incredible value for the performance and graphics. I’m a professional pilot for my day job and I’ve built PCs for previous versions of Flight Simulator. The platform is just fine for a more-than-casual player.

A product of this quality takes a lot of time and money to produce. Meanwhile, in the time it took for the WASM issues to be figured out and for it to be validated and re-validated in the Marketplace, how many lousy addons from Captain Sim and whoever “enhances” lights have come out? Unless the developer guidelines for quality of content are sufficiently tight there’s no incentive for anyone to develop high quality add-ons. It sits waiting approval while lousy product after lousy product gets released, and because junk developers are making money (with Microsoft getting their cut) there’s no incentive to change.

31 Likes