Melted Italian Alps

So I’m flying around the newly updated Italy and checking out the Italian Alps, however I was surprised to find out the low quality mesh detail still exists as a lot of the mountains still look like melted mush.

Does it looks like this for other people?

I actually good good mountains but rubbish photogrammetry outside of Venice. Sadly, I deleted the WU since I don’t envisage spending any time there under these conditions.

Moved out of SDK to Community Support-Scenery and Airports.

I found the mesh update quite good. The Dolomites look better too. However since this region is lined with extremely jagged mountain tops, the mesh still doesn’t look realistic everywhere. But I don’t think the amount of data needed to display those mountains realistically with mesh is much too high to be streamed. That’s probably why they chose to model Tre Cime manually with a 3D model, and not with mesh.

1 Like

i’ve read there’s 1m mesh available from sources like lidar so I think the the data is for sure there. even when flying in XPlane I was able to get some very high level DEM.

so I’m not sure what the holdup is in MSFS, except maybe they don’t want to break the XBox folks or something. i wish they would add an option to crank up the ORTHO and DEM for people with slightly beefier machines in order to really get the most out of the simulator.

example: 1 meter Digital Elevation Models (DEMs) - USGS National Map 3DEP Downloadable Data Collection | USGS Science Data Catalog

The mesh we now have for Italy is about on the level of Switzerland and mostly better than Austria and France. But of course, if you pull out the region that’s by far the most difficult to model in the whole of the Alps …

On the other hand the Alps in Germany still look almost as bad as two years ago. The World Update didn’t really improve anything.

And even if the material is available, and even if computer resources weren’t an issue, MS and Asobo still would have to pay and negotiate for that data to be used commercially.

Interestingly enough the DEM used for the latest World Updates had the same resolution as the DEM meshes that were available commerically and as Freeware by guys like Taburet or Troglodytus etc.

• Austria 10m
  • Switzerland 5m
  • Spain 5m
  • Germany 20m
  • Italy 10m

I had all of the freeware ones and several payware versions, and they were easy to compare and looked very much alike.

As always: this is a FREE update and it DID improve what had been before A LOT. So I decide to be thankful for what I got. But I guess people won’t be satisfied before they have a 1:1 represenation of the real world. And even then they will complain that it’s not updated in real life …

I’ll go and fly a bit over Italy now :slight_smile: Bye!

2 Likes

ah you were so close to having a perfectly helpful post, but then had to throw in that last snarky paragraph :wink:. always funny to see people that feel the desire to do that :joy:. enjoy your flight, cheers! :beers:

1 Like

yeah … to be honest sometimes the attitude in this forum concerning the World Updates - i.e. stuff people get for free - angers me to no end. And I’m normally not the kind of guy who can hold it back very well. It wasn’t meant against you personally, and probably was an overreaction on my part, but I stand by the sentiment :wink:

Fully understood.

Just passed Lugano on the way to Milan, that’s Italian Alps port and starboard - looks okay to me.

you look pretty high up above the mountains there. if you look at the OP it’s cruising along at mountain-top level so a little bit of a different vantage points