Message to the team from a DevRel professional

Hey all,

I know, but this is the closest forum I can find to get this in front of who needs to see it, so please just give it a quick read. I’m reading the issues being posted after update 9 and realizing that what people are hoping for is exactly the kind of engagement normally handled by DevRel / Community Managers:

“We’re aware of bug report #XXXXXX and the team will try to get on it ASAP but please remember the community at large has asked us to prioritize bug report #ABC, so we’re trying to handle issues in the order that seems most important to all users as a whole.”

I know DevRel is typically aimed at devs, but when I did DevRel for a CICD company I dealt with end-users, too.

If you don’t have any DevRel (that would be criminal), go talk to the Azure team and ask them how to reach out to Nitya. She’s changed teams within MS, but they should know how to put you in contact, and she’s a goddess when it comes to this stuff.

Good luck!

1 Like

You are aware that there are weekly development updates and multiple community managers active on the forums, discord, twitter, twitch and Facebook?

7 Likes

Adding to mods post, the MSFS team of developers, 3rd party devs, and forum boards here have got to be hands down the most involved development and support team in the history of flight sims.

This sim is unlike any other and has bugs and issues that are continuous, but they are keeping up with it. It is just that there have never been as many people simming either. This is like the Tiger Woods of flight sims. Everyone wants to fly now just as Tiger brought so many people to golf that never had interest before.

Enjoy the sim, have patience for the team, and it sounds like you may have some great experience to add to the devteam if they have openings so we want you for the community!

Actually no, I wasn’t aware of the other support channels and this kind of thing seems to be the norm in all kinds of technology and gaming.

The support structure and access to the team’s representatives exists, but the vast majority of people just don’t know about it.

This is true for tens of thousands of things, from SDKs to creative tools and games.

Google has taken a number of our suggestions and had great luck with them, and I have one that might help this team. They should have a pop-up that only shows once, similar to the way a first run pop-up works. Put in great big, capital letters, “HERE ARE ALL THE GREAT PLACES YOU CAN GET HELP AND SUPPORT:”

You don’t want it to be obnoxious, just run it one time. Or maybe once a year.

When trying to do customer or developer relations, the most important thing is to make sure the people you are supporting know you exist. It’s an ongoing battle we all face!

Thanks, good luck, and I’ll see you around!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.