METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

Looks like you don’t want to be satisfied,

if you don’t want the exactly weather as from window, I don’t understand photos from real cameras compared to sim. Guys, as was already reported, you still create same topics about weather not good as previously. Ok, nothing to against, I want also good Online weather and I’m fighting with this till day one but also read what problems was before, what Beta did and what is now. Reporting that all was ok before isn’t ok, just show us that ok pictures before, this can be positive criticism. Without clear reports we can do nothing, all.

I have some pictures prior SU7 in LOWS that point to not correct weather and ground clouds presented also. I recommend maybe again start flight with clear weather and play with some cloud presets with some modifications to see what is available at sim.

I don’t think you ever understood the point of these topics. But anyway, ou can report and post photos of METAR but if the skies has the wrong type of clouds and coverage it’s pointless…if the sky is meant to have high or medium clouds and we only see cumulus clouds, even if they might match with METAR IS STILL WRONG, because METAR will never tell you what clouds are around except CB and TC and TS.

1 Like

Ok,

really looks like I ever don’t understand your Topic because I see name of Topic depended to METAR’s wrong functionality to weather. No problem, will investigate further what is inside sim after Update…

I’ll post this here again so the people working on this realize what a dynamic live weather system is supposed to look like, this was possible before.

Even if the new METAR system ends up having clouds at the correct altitude and coverage, if it’s always the same cloud types then we have lost one of the most important visual aspects of MSFS.

10 Likes

If I may summarise, and I will try to be succinct.

I don’t think people expect the weather in sim to match what they see out of the window. But they expect it to be ‘realistic looking’, i.e, something they might see out of their window.

Since the introduction of METAR for clouds, what you see doesn’t look realistic. Again, not necessarily what you see out of your window, but just realistic weather.

Prior to SU7 it was realistic looking, i.e, correct type of clouds at a reasonable height for that type of cloud.

As an aside, the weather for me went downhill with SU5, the clouds looked so so much better before that, and therefore more ‘realistic’.

The problem with this new system, is that it has created weather that does not look realistic. To make matters worse, it doesn’t actually match the METAR either. So we are now getting ‘unrealistic’ looking weather that is ‘inaccurate’. So there is literally no point to it.

Also as an aside, I have no desire to see the weather in the sim exactly the same as out of a window, in terms of accuracy. But, I do expect to be able to go onto the meteoblue website and look at the forecasts and the weather in the sim to be accurate to that. Now if the forecast is great and actually happens in real life, amazing, we will see out of the window what we see in the sim. If, more likely, the real world weather is roughly the same as the forecast, great, it will look ‘realistic’ but still be accurate to the forecasts from meteoblue we can check and use for flight planning, whether or not what actually happens in real life is what was forecasted.

I hope this clarifies things somewhat. Obviously, I am speaking for myself here, but I think this is the general opinion of those interested in the weather.

We just want something that looks realistic, and some way of being able to plan our flights and know what the weather will be in the sim.
The data for the injection of weather comes from meteoblue, so should match their forecast.

So the new METAR system has,

i) ruined the visual ‘realistic’ look,
ii) not improved any accuracy

Therefore it serves no purpose and should be removed from the base sim until it can be tested properly so it,

i) is no detriment to the visual ‘realistic’ look
ii) improves accuracy so we can plan flights.

I’m sorry this is longer than I intended.

12 Likes

exactly

the point I am trying to get through OMICO

Totally agree.

In my opinion they should replace the ‘real world METAR’ system with a ‘sim-derived METAR’ system … this sim-based system being compiled from conditions created by the weather engine (which should, you would expect, also be close to current and forecast conditions from Meteoblue). Sim-derived METAR should then also be made available through the SDK so that external flight planner (etc) can use it as an option.

Hoped for end result: a great dynamic weather system (as we used to have?) with reliable METAR that can be used for planning. It won’t necessarily match the conditions out your window (but may well do) but that doesn’t really matter - does it?

2 Likes

Yep 110% agree with you. The meteoblue forecast is always gonna be in the right ballpark. So as long as it matches that it’s fine.

This should be easy to achieve, (creating ‘in sim METAR’) after all the data is all there from meteoblue in order to create the weather in sim in the first place, so this can easily be put into metar format for every airport, even those without metar irl.

I would say I fly 99.999% of the time out of view of my windows, so I really don’t know what the weather is anyway so as long as it’s realistic looking that great for me.

I just want the weather to look realistic abs have some way of being able to say, oh yeah the clouds are at 5000ft at my departure airport and 4000ft at my destination, let me just check the map for the enroute, oh yeah decent cloud height all the way, I can go VFR and won’t have any icing issues.

This should be easy, the data is coming from meteoblue so I should be able to look at that data and it match what is in the sim.

1 Like

still broken since this morning.
In my city Belfast, it’s raining IRL, the METAR in game also says rain, but the sky i get into the game is the same as this morning and the same as the other 4 airports I tested earlier…exactly the same clouds, coverage etc.

in game

YES YES YES! Holy cow if Asobo can just bring this BACK OMG! I’m so glad you had screenshots of the older weather capabilities!

Especially these, but really ALL the screenshots you posted are basically no longer created in live weather. It’s like all we have now are 1 or two cloud types!

3 Likes

I never tire of seeing gorgeous skies like this. So beautiful.

And came across this video yesterday, first 40 secs is just settings, but just look how beautiful the sky and clouds are in the first clip.

What we have now is not a patch on these shots and it’s a tragedy.

1 Like

Guys,

pls believe me, I have many similar nice clouds formations pass time also. Before SU7, with Beta and also now but really it is place case, hard to find now. No problem, I do tests still, also fly on Vatsim as usually and bring for sure some screenshots.

This is those nice higher level clouds pre su7. This is when i testing the gusts in live-weather pre su7. It’s not a long clip but you know what we miss when you see it.

3 Likes

I did some flights over Madeira and long vicinity and here are some pics what looks to me nice:

On 1-st (upper right little piece), 3-rd and 4-th screenshot I pass that formation as is on pic, is like some light milk just before me…

Now passed some miles and see this interesting OVC, I post this due some users reported no other variants of OVC over the top (simply only cloudy) and here is nice example also of light flat layer :slight_smile: very nice in my opinion.

and how many layers of clouds did you climb ? yes that looks nice but…i also got the occasional good representation…but just one layer of clouds, also the very high clouds and medium one are completely missing in most cases. Did you see my photos up? Belfast? i had the same sky in 4 more airports that should have had instead medium to high clouds overcast…none of that was present. In the Belfast photos again, even the METAR says rain (IRL was raining) but in game was just those stupid scattered cumulus, no rain whatsoever .

METAR is simply (by default?) 1hr cyclical.

If reporting is rain probably hard to say if that rain just passed away after half hour, simply hard to say what layer comes from wind direction with what consistency. After hour with new report situation can be different.

yes but we still have meteoblue, which is also updated every hour, none of two were right in 5 airports today. This kind of situation for me in the past was very rare, I can’t even recall once, if it ever happened.

Bristol EGGD now (changed to daylight)… total mess :confused: SU7 has totally ruined the amazing weather we had in this sim, even in the areas now where it looks ok, it’s not a patch on what we had before.

EGFF the same

2 Likes

Belfast is very good now :expressionless: