METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

The sad part is that it was many users here on the forum that asked for this change since release of this sim. Weather needs to match METAR, Needs to have perfectly smooth flight with high fps (even that this sim had the best performance for that kind of graphics we had at release) Many here at the forum still complaining about performance issues. I bet many of those is pc users. Nothing to do with xbox. It’s we users fault. Now many ask them to change it back including me even if i get less fps and more inaccurate weather. I never asked for METAR. I used the sim and enjoyed it at release.

They don’t want rage here on the forum when they increase the detail in clouds. They know it will be many votes on performance issues here on the forum if they do. Thats the truth. They don’t want to change the weather to be less accurate because most of the simmers here expect it to look like it does when they look out of their windows even if that is impossible to get everywhere on earth at the same time. Many here doesn’t care if weather behaves correct only that it matches METAR.

I preffer a perfectly correct behaving weather over a perfect match of a static METAR report. We can’t have both at the same time. It’s impossible. Because a simulated weather can’t match a METAR. The real dynamic weather doesn’t match METAR. The METAR is an observation of that dynamic real weather that we use to predict the upcoming unpredictable dynamic real weather.

I think Asobo could have released a preview build of the weather pre release in su7 and then they could have had a voting on if we preffered the old system over this new.

3 Likes

Nice Overcast

6 Likes

Even if we know that Devs are working on improving weather in SU10, I think it is useful to share those examples where obviously something is wrong, so that they can see a large variety of inconsistencies.

2 Likes

Is it really wrong though? Meteoblue says partly cloudy there and METAR says broken now and have said that mostly the whole day. I just want to make sure you compare weather with Meteoblue too. Because that is what in use too. Agree it should have been a bit more clouds. But METAR says only how much of the sky should be covered. Broken means 5/8-7/8 parts of the sky covered. Really bad description in my opinion and what part of the sky is covered? west, east, north or south?

If i check Meteoblue cross-section it should be most clouds looking or flying east. That to me is how weather works. The clouds are not stretched out to fit a local METAR. The clouds are a global thing

I find the weather be more realistic in su9. But the generic look feels wrong. It looks mostly the same everywhere since su7 with split up comulus on the lower layer set in kind of patterns. I hope that will be improved in su10. That the lower clouds feels more varied. That Meteoblue and METAR should match all the time i do not expect at all. And i don’t want to have the weather forced to be METAR values either. I want the weather to feel believable and that it behaves correctly.

Using Meteoblue at that location i expect it should be fog after around 16:00 UTC coming in from the west and north. If METAR also says fog then we will just see a fog circle around that airport. We will not see the fog coming in from north and west. It will be static in a circle until METAR says good visibility. Not how weather behaves. If METAR says good visibility there it will remove that fog layer Meteoblue predict coming in from west & north. Using METAR is bad in my opinion.

Why do we use an alternate airport when we are planning a flight IRL? It’s because weather maybe is not what we expected when we arrive. Weather is unpredictable and should feel unpredictable in the sim as well. I use simbrief as planning tool and that using METAR but i don’t want the weather to be fixed at METAR anyway. I want the weather to behave realistic. I use METAR to predict the weather when i’m enroute and close to the airport but i don’t want it to be fixed at METAR. To me it’s more unrealistic if it’s fixed at METAR than not accurate.

Hello,

I remember strange thing from yesterday LZKZ airport. Started configuring flight and selected airport where icon of weather shows rain, also real Metar reported rain for sure. After load of flight only few clouds and no rain everywhere. I pay attention to that icon on upper right corner on screen of flight cfg.

That is strange because worldmap and the inflight weather should match. Thats what they using right? I know that worldmap and inflight weather not always match. It can be around 48+ hours old data on worldmap. Thats a thing that is really important they fix. If weather on world map not matching what we see in the sim then it’s no point showing weather on worldmap. To me it’s more important worldmap weather match than that the weather matching those METARS. Especially before they implemented METAR. Now it needs to match two sources of weather instead. More confusing than ever.

2 Likes

It is a pity that subtlety has been lost when generating live weather.
Now it’s all thick, towering clouds, as I can perfectly well generate much better weather using the editor.
I hope one day we will go back to how it was before.

6 Likes

Have a look at v1’s video here. I have never seen clouds like this in MSFS…especially in the breakout during departure. The clouds look competely realistic. It’s stunning.

I had that kind of overcast today with rain. Then suddenly in a second it switched to few/scattered clouds :sob: And that kind of generic patterns of clouds again. They really need to find the cause of those switches.

4 Likes

The new METAR has destroyed the look of the sim and sadly still has no benefits as the weather in the sim still does not actually match the METAR.

Overcast at 5500ft according to METAR, in sim…

What a disgrace, weather system needs to be put buck to how it was before SU7 and clouds and lighting to how they were before SU5.

13 Likes

I’ve restarted the game for many months to test the new PMDG737. The plane is nice, but unfortunately nothing has changed about the weather problem since November 2021.

This is hilarious, what an ugly mess. In addition, there is still snow in parts of the country where it has not frozen for 2 months.

If it weren’t so awful I would laugh. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

After some time of absence, I realize that the weather system is still a catastrophe. :rage:

9 Likes

Yeah i wish they could revert back or at least have options to turn it back how it was pre METAR. Too sad i think it’s not possible.

2 Likes

It’s a sad time when REX despite its flaws now gives me overall better and more accurate weather depiction than MSFS live weather.

3 Likes

if rex gives better clouds formations, then I wonder if there is a data issues with the game?

MSFS seems to be just one huge data issue. It has been for sometime now, unfortunately especially with live weather.

The data issues have been obvious for months now, some even going back years. Like the upper winds constantly shifting and being wrong, or the world map cloud coverage being wrong.

It’s a shame, because it’s now become for me watching videos and streams of the beautiful FENIX A320 and thinking that I don’t even want to fly it in this environment because it’s now just not enjoyable.

KAFW 181153Z 17013KT 10SM FEW120 BKN200 BKN250 23/18 A2981

Live Weather

REX

5 Likes

it’s a huge difference…and I can’t even use REX on xbox :frowning:

1 Like

Sames clouds, again and again with most of the time just 1 layer and blue sky above. Where are the “native support of all cloud types” and the “32 layers” advertised (plus other very nice functionalities) in below weather Discovery Feature video that were implemented when FS2020 was launched ?
Why initial weather engine that had a realistic rendering suffered such a big regression mainly since SU7 ?
Feature Discovery Series Episode 2: Weather - YouTube

6 Likes

That video of the feature discovery weather series has now become redundant in my opinion. I actually think it should be taken down because it is not an accurate reflection of MSFS in it’s current form. It deceives people who may be thinking of purchasing MSFS and are then met by the mess which we currently have.

5 Likes

I agree, all products are evolving (good or bad), that is why it would be nice to get a new weather Discover Feature video to present actual and futur weather state in FS2020.

2 Likes