Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.26.7.0 Beta test for XBox, itself is buggy

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Beta test for XBox Series X|S installed version 1. 26.7.0 on my XBox, and I think it is buggy itself. (it was posted in the Community > News and Announcements section by @Jummivana 1 week ago on June 21 for the purpose of collecting XBox crash data).

I purchased a new XBox Series X in May for the purpose of learning Microsoft Flight Simulator (installed from Game Pass). I am new to both XBox and MSFS. Almost nothing works as expected, a lot of freezing and crashing. I uninstalled and factory reset the XBox, and reinstalled MSFS… what a mess.

I downloaded and installed the Beta tester so Microsoft could collect more info about XBox issues and hopefully fix them. It installs as an update to 1.26.7.0, but that seemed to make things buggier. Specifically more freezing and crashing than before, scenery became worse even if I tried during less busy hours (like early Sunday morning EST), and the G1000 NXi would no longer engage VNAV (at least not reliably).

I uninstalled MSFS and factory reset XBox again - I did not unsubscribe from the beta testing, so when I re-installed MSFS, it was the 1.26.7.0 version that installed directly. On the initial setup screen on first launch, there are a list of settings choices (I don’t remember exactly, but to do with voice prompts, data bandwidth, etc). It’s the first screen where the Cursor mode of the XBox controller is used before you even get to the “Home” screen - and the Cursor was not visible, so I could do nothing but force quit the game, and reboot again - same result. So I Unsubscribed from the Beta and am wiping the XBox again.

What a disappointment this whole experience is. I am going to try one more time, from a reset XBox, but I’m close to giving up on the whole thing. Disappointing (is the only word I can post here).

3 Likes

You should not be surprised that a beta, the very existence of which is to log bugs in the xbox version of MSFS has bugs.

5 Likes

When I first set up the XBox Series X, which comes with a 1 TB SSD, I did not properly look at the amount of free storage space before installing anything. Upon factory reset and reboot, I was surprised to see only 799 GB free. Does that match what others have? Does the size of the XBox / Windows OS and any over-provisioning of the SSD really use up 20% of the 1 TB storage? Or, did joining the XBox Insider for MSFS bug testing re-partition the SSD, so now there is a hidden partition I can’t reclaim?

While I don’t agree with the op, here is more info
Install Size is Getting Out of Hand - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

The Series X has only ever had 800gb of storage usable, the rest is system files.

I dont know if its buggy like that. I installed it myself, well knowing that it would decrease performance. That was very well explained before I joined the beta. I re-downloaded nearly all my addons, and set all settings to default. I managed to provoke some ctds, but ended it very shortly because the logging tool in the beta just didnt made me want to fly anymore because of bad performance. I also got the black cockpit screens for the first time, actually after joining the beta. I understood that the beta was all about ctd and not stuttering or laggy performance. So this beta wasnt for me…altough I would love to help solving issues on xbox. So now I am back to flying without real weather and traffic, no airport, sea or road activity. And the sim is okay´ish enough for me to play it every other day. :blush:

@CptStubing4111 How did you manage to trigger the CTDs on xbox? I fly on both PC and XBOX so I dont mind using my xbox to help with beta testing. It will likely make it more stable for everyone.

I haven’t had a single CTD on xbox yet fortunately.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Not the best start for a new simmer. However, it was pointed out that installing the beta version could reduce performance, it is designed to identify bugs but it doesn’t fix anything. Fixe
s should be sorted out when information is collected If you don’t feel happy, try uninstalling the bete and enjoy getting to know the sim. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

Why are you people calling this a Beta?

It’s not a beta. It’s the same exact version as the current retail release only with added diagnostic gathering data in the event of a crash.

You’re completely confused here.

1 Like

@NixonRedgrave it is presented as a data collection tool, however, when you actually install it, via the Xbox Insider app, it is called a Beta, and is in fact version 1.26.7.0. It’s possible the name Beta is just how they make the data collection tool deliverable in their existing system - however, it would make sense they want to test the currect codebase with data collection, so it probably is “beta”, and it IS very buggy. The first time I opened MSFS after installing it, I went in to the Cessna 152 cold start, and when I went to move the cursor, it crashed right out of the game back to the main XBox screen. I was a bit stunned. I rebooted and got a bit further, but basically it was unplayable. I’m now factory resetting XBox to try again. I will post any screen shots that might be usefull for troubleshooting

2 Likes

As a technical person who worked in software development and, specifically on flight simulators, it really makes me cringe that technical terminology has been so watered down that we can now utilize these terms that actually used to have a specific meanings for anything we please.

That was an amazing run-on sentence I just wrote there.

By the way, I’m not arguing with you here. I hear you, they labeled it a beta, not you.

2 Likes

Here is the original post:
XBOX SERIES X|S TESTING OPPORTUNITY
Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

A new beta testing opportunity is now available which specifically targets stability on Xbox Series X|S. To help us better track some of the memory-related crashes on Xbox, this build will contain additional telemetry logging and a more precise memory tracking system. … Because of the added telemetry logging running in the background of the sim, this build will have a small performance decrease, but is otherwise similar to the current live version (1.26.6.0).

https://www.flightsimulator.com/xbox-series-xs-testing-opportunity/

It is in fact called a “Beta” and installs via the Xbox Insider Hub as version 1.26.7.0 (install triggers an “update” where it downloads several gigabytes and installs the beta).

Since the last update when they released to help Xbox crashing, my system has been running great.

I joined the Beta to try and report crashes but since installing I’ve not had one since , ha ha
Go figure?!?!?!

I don’t even notice any real performance hit but I do see things loading as your right up on them .

Surprisingly even KORD and EGLL have been smooth.

I’m on Series X

1 Like

I lasted 2 days in the beta!! It’s so buggy I had to leave! CTD ever single flight so I can’t give any feedback besides it’s made things worse

There appears to have been an Xbox update today (not MSFS, but XBox itself) at least it only showed up for me today, date appears to be June 22. After factory resetting it today, upon first boot the Xbox software version was:
OS version 10.0.22000.4970 (xb_flt_2206co.220525-2200)

Then when I checked Settings > System > Updates it updated to this:
OS version 10.0.22000.4975 (xb_flt_2206co.220622-1125)

The dates seem to be exactly 4 weeks apart, so perhaps “Update Wednesday” for Xbox is like Update Tuesday for Windows? I installed the vanilla MSFS 1.26.6.0 from Game Pass with nothing else, and flew a few flights (no World Updates, no G1000 from NXi), and besides some stutters there were no crashes.

Then I installed the Xbox Insider Hub app from the XBox store as invited on this forum, which then installs the MSFS v1.26.7.0 Beta to “better track some of the memory-related crashes on Xbox”. I did a simple flight from KSEZ in the Cessna 152 with no live traffic or weather, and so far so good. I will test the 172 with G1000 (stock) and a few others, and then incrementally install each World Update and refly the same few routes. Then I will repeat with the Working Title G1000 NXi.

Yes, beta testing is very hard but you must remember that the purpose of beta testing is to find bugs. Ergo, if you are finding lots of bugs, you are doing an excellent job! But it’s not for everyone.

4 Likes

I am not encountering more crashes. However, the stuttering is incredible. Seriously, on some menu pages it takes a full minute before the cursor will move. I overshoot the menu items all the time, I’ve had to start using the LB and RB. The weird thing is, ok, I can fly which does stutter. But I seem to have worse performance on menus. What is going on with the menus that this new memory tracking is just creating so much of a performance issue?

1 Like

It’s certainly not for the guys who just want to jump into the Beta to see whats new, then try to leave early. Then they of course come here and complain that their SIM is broken.

1 Like

I am new, but I am willing to do testing if it makes the product better. The reason for my post was because it was presented as a data collection tool to figure out what was crashing in the current release version 1.26.6.0 on XBox. That’s what is in the text inviting Xbox users to help troubleshoot. Upon installing it, however, the Xbox became non-functional. I was surprised how messed up it was. Today, there was an separate Xbox OS update, and I’ve completely factory reset, clean installed vanilla MSFS, tested, then installed the “Beta” data collection version on top, in order to test some more. This represents many hours of time, but I am not complaining the SIM is broken, I’m reporting what I’m seeing, in the hopes it helps the developers find and fix bugs that exist in the release version that is causing crashing.

Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought that you were surprised that you found bugs in the beta. Good job! Your efforts will be rewarded by an improved product!