Microsoft Flight Simulator - "Game Of The Year"

Crashing at this point in loading has 100% always been something in my community folder.

We don’t have a community folder, or at least one that is accessible to users on Xbox

6 Likes

That’s exactly right. I wonder how many people have simply given up and moved on to another game and will never play MSFS again.

IF MSAsobo is farming out the scenery, then MAYBE this indicates that they are dedicating more programmers to solving the problems. Since we don’t know how the internal structure works within MS and Asobo, we can’t know what’s happening there… but we can hope.

And regardless of whether you can’t start the app without CTD or whether you haven’t had a single problem since day one, I’d hope that most of us could agree that more needs to be done to address the concerns and complaints.

And if they are dedicating more programmers to resolving problems, maybe it’s because they see that “other” FS being released soon and MS is starting to get nervous about a loss of Marketplace sales.

Xcloud MSFS is also crashing at this point in loading. It’s most definitely not due to community folder addons.

1 Like

Are you serious? A game studio test team versus the hadron collider test team? Not a fair comparison with all respect for the people involved.

There’s no “if” about it. MS has ALWAYS farmed out scenery. They don’t make it in house. Orbx, Gaya and others have built all the hand-crafted scenery in both the base sim and all world udpates since.

DEM data and PG is partly done by the Bing Maps Team, and other folks from both Asobo and MS who are dedicated to those tasks. So it’s not like they’re pulling Asobo’s game engine programmers away from their duties to work on scenery.

I didn’t know that. I assumed they had a team working on scenery and another working on other duties. I thought the “hand-crafted” airports were being created in-house.

They’ve spoken quite openly about that several times in Q&As. It’s no secret. Microsoft and Asobo will likely have dedicated personnel who integrate said completed assets into the game world, but they don’t build the handcrafted stuff in house. It’s probably far cheaper to farm that out to experts whose sole business model is making scenery for flight sims and have been for decades in some cases than developing that kind of skillset in house.

The original post to which I replied said that this was one of the most complicated pieces of software currently. I simply replied that this isn’t one of those and left some examples of software that’s more complicated by many factors (including real flight software). So we’ll just disagree on that. As far as testing goes, too complicated to test then for the current game studio test team? OK, then… with that caveat we agree :+1:

2 Likes

All new customers see is the Hype… So they will purchase.
They will, eventually, see these forums, well after the purchase.

1 Like

I had a few CTD’s early on, but it’s been working good for me since. I can’t really complain.

A counted 30 days GamePass purchase for one buck is irrelevant and only beautifies the result for the seller :wink:

Have you noticed that the number of active players is steadily decreasing? And this despite the fact that purchases are increasing.

Otherwise, I only know that the FPS have been deteriorating from minute to minute since SU09. After an hour I jerk through the area with 14FPS. At SU08 there were 42 at the same place.

Nothing more to say at this time…

3 Likes

Just check on any game on the steam database and active players decrease from them too.

Careful, the guys right above your post will jump on you with their “don’t worry, be happy” mantra. They’ll also claim that you must be doing something wrong and are probably the only user having any issues, just because they got lucky.

Not sure how you’ve managed to come to that conclusion, unless you’ve questioned every member of the 91% to see why they don’t visit the forums.

If you look at how many people on these forums are unhappy with the sim in some way shape or form, and extrapolate that over the wider user base, I’d argue that it’s likely a good percentage of people who play the sim aren’t entirely happy.

3 Likes

The point he was making is completely valid. He was responding to those who try to excuse Asobo for releasing one poorly-tested update after another. The people doing this seem to be making the argument that it’s just “too hard” to test Fight Sim because the code is so complex.

The point in rebuttal was that there is FAR more sophisticated and complex software in the world, and somehow it gets tested without whining that “it’s too hard.” I continue to assert that it appears that the Asobo team is being pushed too single-mindedly to constantly crank out new stuff, instead of devoting those resources to fixing the long and rapidly growing list of things that are broken. Microsoft seems to be putting most of the development effort into creating new stuff so that it can generate additional revenue, and likely views fixing problems as not generating any revenue. But that approach will eventually (soon at the rate it’s going) collapse the whole effort.

Pretty hard to convince users to buy more add-ons when the sim crashes to desktop on every attempt to load it (as is now occurring since WU 9). Penny wise and pound foolish, as they say.

2 Likes

I’ve not seen this amount of ire and frustration for any of the other SU’s and WU’s that I have for update 9. It now seems to me to be more people are having issues on here, than not. Something has to give.

2 Likes

Yep. I think a substantial number of the previous “Things are great for me, sucks to be you” club got unceremoniously dumped into the muck with the rest of us. We tried to warn them that if they weren’t having issues it was only because they temporarily got extremely lucky, and their time was coming eventually. Well, “eventually” arrived like a freight train with WU 9.

“Welcome to the party, pal.”

I’m not having massive issues, CTD’s that are more numerous on some days as opposed to others, and other niggles that annoy. I do enjoy the sim, by and large. But I’m certainly not here to lord it over others having really ■■■■■■ experiences. We’re all in this together, PC and xbox users alike. And I think everyone needs to speak up and raise the issues as much as possible.

2 Likes

I’m not sure either how you came to your conclusion.