Microsoft says it found malicious software in its systems

Am I the only one who doesn’t feel comfortable firing up MSFS when reading this?

The U.S. National Security Agency issued a rare “cybersecurity advisory” Thursday detailing how certain Microsoft Azure cloud services may have been compromised by hackers and directing users to lock down their systems.

Microsoft says it found malicious software in its systems | Reuters

3 Likes

Let’s all hope the software in question wasn’t FS2020.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am asking myself why I have been getting the Defender window popping up during the last few days when I launch the sim.

Interesting.

Was it followed by any notifications of a security nature ?

Forget this. Lets Fly.

1 Like

No, just wanted the sim to be allowed through the firewall with public network ticked. Unticked public, then ticked private.
My confusion is: why did that start again even though access was already listed as allowed.
Not personally concerned because the PC’s are dedicated to sim use, i.e. no other use like business, banking or online purchases. Also have dual-boot and use 2nd Windows for general surfing etc.
Have tried to take the impressive security reputation of Intel/Microsoft into account, I think (maybe). :grin:

Already doing that at the same time.

Likewise. I have nothing of interest or note on my sim PC other than sim/gaming software and so it would only be a minor inconvenience if I had to reinstall everything. I use another PC for more serious ‘stuff’ like yourself.

1 Like

That’s actually less secure than what you had. It is a misleading setting but the default “public” is more secure than private. If set to private, Windows assumes the network you are on is more secure and allows more access.

Thanks for your contribution but I am assuming that it is generally misleading that Intel/Microsoft products are secure. :grin:
After having read the sim terms & conditions I regard my PC as an Xbox that MS can do with whatever it wants. The PC case belongs to me, everything inside it belongs to MS. :grin:

Microsoft has denied the accuracy of the report and I sincerely doubt the “State Actors” who initiated this hacking activity had any interest in anything MSFS or for that matter individual users.
This attack was directed specifically at large Corporate and Government systems.
(…and yes I have a long Cyber Security background)

2 Likes

Fun and games on the Windows partition, serious stuff on the Linux side. They’re not really on speaking terms.

Yes, I suspect a few of us needed a stiff whisky after ticking that T&C box.

2 Likes

Yeah I was wondering, I was flying the other day and a couple of Russian aircraft buzzed me and followed me around for a while.

Pro tip - I got them to leave me alone by writing a credit card number on my cockpit window using breath fog.

We need air to air missiles.

:smiley:

6 Likes

More likely related to the electoral college vote than to MSFS.

1 Like

Well in that case, who am I to have the audacity to use my brain or life experience and doubt that denial in any way and make a comment here. Might be regarded as negative and cause the post to be hidden.
Good job that I did not buy a Mercedes because the emission non-compliance was denied by Mercedes. :innocent:

1 Like

Hope it wasn’t mine!

Be back in a minute … Just need to cancel something.

2 Likes

Not wishing to get too serious or off topic here but, yes, a lot of people are ‘followers’, not free thinkers, and are happy to follow the easy path as directed by others. You are clearly not a ‘follower’.

Yes please do not get serious in any way on this thread. :wink:
Humour threads are IMO good for community member bonding, e.g. increase friendliness, and should be allowed by our forum admin team.

Indeed.

Over and out.

1 Like