Milviz 80-R-72 WIP Previews

Is it though? We’ve already seen a developer snooping people’s Chrome passwords in P3D…

3 Likes

They did what they did because people were ripping them off and stealing their stuff. So whilst it’s totally not cool what they did, as a dev, I get it. Cause it happens to us. All the time. Minutes after a product goes on sale, it’s on the torrents. Very VERY frustrating.

Anyway, this isn’t relevant to the ATR, so I’d appreciate going back to that subject.

3 Likes

Maybe a few more screenshots would help? :wink:

7 Likes

It’s a bit off-topic but i had that issue today. I wanted to use a mod from flightsim.to but at the moment it wanted to create a security certificate on root level i noped out and deleted it. Maybe i’m just too paranoid but that was a no go for me.

Maybe share that in a separate thread as warning to others?

Well, it’s very popular with a high rating so nobody cares about it.

When an aircraft has no adequate system depth it is merely a simple toy and not something one is “owning and being proud of and enjoying to learn and study” :wink:

The ATR 72 is an awesome classic plane, the last time I saw one it had intense loud impressive propellers way more loud than modern jets.
But I remember this aircraft looking slightly different - it had the gear and oleo strut coming out of a housing behind the engine, and not being mounted on the lower bottom of the plane.
(edit: Oops what I saw in real-life some years ago starting up right beneath the small coffee bar on the roof of my local airport was a Dash 8, not an ATR. That´s why the gear looked different…).

And yes please bring some new screenshots with some nice colourful exotic and tropic airlines. These are perfect escapism during the winter time. :smiley:

5 Likes

Isn’t it because of what’s technically possible on the xbox

that’s partly it… though they didn’t have to use WASM…

2 Likes

Wish we had an ETA for the plane, really looking forward to it :smiley:

1 Like

this plane comes out this year or, it will be next ?

Most likely this year, but we don’t really know

1 Like

As we don’t give out release dates, we’re not going to respond to this.

4 Likes

I’ve been slowly working through some great ATR72-600 videos on YouTube lately
Systems:

Procedures:

Just itching for a good ATR to play with now!

2 Likes

To be expected, good luck with development, hope we have it sooner rather than later <3

Actually, properly organized C++ is the absolute best to work with, especially when it is done in such a way as to be platform independent as far as possible. This makes it much easier to keep up with newer platforms because there is less code to re-write. If we have to re invent the wheel every time a new simulator comes out then it winds up increasing development costs considerably. So no, C++ is indeed the best and should not be considered “legacy”, and HTML/JS tends more to overcomplicate things when creating high end simulations. I would go into more detail to show the contrast between what the current SDK supplies vs what we do for other platforms but that would mean showing off proprietary source code.

2 Likes

Any more WIP photos?

The only reason it is ‘the best’ is because you already have the code and are used to work with it.

C++ is absolutely not a graphics friendly environment by any standard.

I’ve been there myself, liking C++ the best for everything, but it’s the old “If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail” situation.

HTML/JS and it’s renderers are superior when it comes to 2D graphic rendering. You can get a lot done very quickly in a simple standard way without the need for compiling and which is known by a great deal of people. It makes cockpit/gauge building a lot more accessible.

You need a good lib or a lot of code to get that effect in C++.

This is of course outside the whole current SDK capabilities. As said: I agree that it’s currently too limited and should be approved upon.

1 Like

I am no coder and maybe i get something wrong, so feel free to correct me.

I think the problem with HTML/Js is, that it is basically “open” code for everyone to see.
And complex 3rd parties like to “hide” they custom gauges/avionics because they spend lots of time (speak money) to develop them. And if they then are open for anyone to modify or steal, they will not be happy, of course…

So you can hide your C++ code in a WASM module, which is, if im nor wrong, not possible or practical with HTML/JS. In other platforms they can put it in .dll files, here they have to use WASM as .dll is not supportet.

HTML/JS is very acessible and its great that the default planes use it, thats why we have this great community mods. But for paid 3rd parties its not optimal.

As said, this includes lots of guessing and half-knowledge, please correct if im talkin BS. :slight_smile:

But also, yes, as you say, lots of existing code is already in C++ and of course devs like to build on the existing code instead of completely rewrite everything again. So using C++ makes sense in this aspect.

1 Like

I think, if you want to have this discussion, make a thread and ask.

That said, we use c++ because it’s cleaner, runs faster (and better) than JS/HTML and can do more on multiple platforms.

6 Likes