Milviz C310R Official Thread

I can confirm it is not mapping, there are a number of reviews on YT that also comment on this phenomena, it’s ok in 2D, it’s only when in VR. I also do not have any issues in any other stock or payware aircraft. Thanks

We tested this in VR on multiple systems and never had this happen… so we can’t really fix something we can’t replicate.

This is not correct, IMHO. While the MV310 is affected in a unique way, there is a long list of aircraft with “buggy” yoke animations, in different variations, both from Asobo and from 3rd parties.

Compare the yoke animation in the MV310 in pancake mode and VR.
Compare the yoke animation in the Aviat Pitts Special in pancake mode and VR (note whether the stick moves in sync with your physical control).

The 3d models of both aircraft do not “know” whether the user is in VR or not, the 3d model and the animations do not change when you enter or leave VR.
What changes is the behavior of some internal variable in MFS that drives the yoke animation.

This is a bug in the sim. It’s on Asobo to fix this, but, so far, they haven’t even acknowledged the issue. If you start a thread in the Bug Reports section of this forum to raise Asobo’s attention for this issue, I’ll vote for it.

2 Likes

I tried to use a custom livery but the same tail number, and I got a reset of everything. Fortunately, going back to my previous livery restored all the settings. In my case, it was the TI-BFQ with the registration removed, so some custom liveries may cause issues.

if you’re going to use a custom reg, you MUST either use the one that comes with the package, or, make an entirely new one…

Hi, I’ve tried all of that and more. Guess I’m just waiting for Godot until something gets updated, be it the plane, the program, or my system.

1 Like

Sincerely hope you’re not waiting for Godot.

He never came. Vladimir and Estragon regrettably waited in vain (not to get a flight sim updated though).

3 Likes

Spoiler Alert!!!

4 Likes

I just curious … what hardware are you using?

A friend of mine disparagingly called Waiting for Godot “Waiting for Interval” .

1 Like

honeycomb alpha yoke

I’m using Honeycomb Alpha yoke, check out the video 14:10 minutes to see the issue from a YT creator

1 Like

Again, as it’s not something we’re seeing with our bravo, and we’re not seeing it anywhere else and we are seeing it, as per above, elsewhere, it’s more than likely not on us…

Hit up the support forums as this isn’t the place for support

For the trim, see above

Support forums.

1 Like

The double-speed rotation in VR is unique to the MV310, but not by very much.

There are many aircraft where the yoke animation along the roll axis does not match the deflection of the physical control or the deflection of the aileron animations along the whole axis.

Let me introduce three pieces of evidence, I’m interested to hear how you make sense of them, and I urge to invest a fraction of the time I’m using to write this post to verify my statements:

1. Aerosoft Twin Otter, a 3rd party aircraft with a yoke, as you prefer it. The yoke animation is decelerated towards the center position and accelerated towards full deflection in either direction. Just compare the yoke animation to the aileron animation while you turn your yoke from one extreme to the other. You’ll also notice that the yoke overall moves too fast, you have quite a bit of movement left on your physical yoke when the yoke animation is at full deflection. Compare this to the ailerons: to see their full range of motion, you need to turn your yoke all the way left and right. The behavior does not change between VR and pancake mode.

So this is an example of an aircraft with a buggy yoke animation: it’s accelerated towards full deflection and it doesn’t use the full range of travel along the roll axis. It’s not as fast as the yoke rotation in the MV310, but it’s pronounced, easy to see, easy to test.

1. The Asobo Aviat Pitts Special that is included in the standard edition of MFS, so it’s easy for you to check. I’m not asking you to fly it, just compare the behavior of the stick animation with and without VR. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have a physical joystick to test this, the Pitts stick animation has so much travel that it’s really easy to see what’s happening: in pancake mode, it behaves similar to the Twin Otter yoke, the stick animation is not moving in the same way the flight controls are. In VR, the stick animation is perfectly linear and “in sync” with the ailerons.

So this is an example for an aircraft that changes something about the yoke/stick animation based on whether you’re in VR or not. As I said before, this does not make any sense. The 3d model does not change when you enter VR. Only the sim itself “knows” which output device you are using, so it must be “something in the sim” that leads to the changed behavior.

1. Now let’s look at the MV310 again: in pancake mode, the yoke animation accelerates towards full deflection, and is slower close to the center. And in VR, the yoke animation uses only half of the available range of your physical yoke, but it now moves in a linear fashion, no more acceleration or deceleration in different parts of the (reduced) range it covers. This might be harder to see, but you could either trust me, or set up your controls so they have exactly half their sensitivity (just for testing, if you used this in flight, you would severely reduce your aileron authority).

So the MV310 is victim to all of the bugs illustrated above: the yoke animation changes in not one, but two different ways when you enter or leave VR. The same bugs affect many other aircraft in varying degrees, but they hit the MV310 harder. For SOME reason. Probably a reason that only the Asobo dev who built the buggy code can fathom.

MilViz can’t really work around the issues; if they would “fix” the yoke animation for you by changing the 3d model, they would break it for all the non-VR users (and the VR users which aren’t affected by the bug, although I have yet to meet one that isn’t working for MilViz :smiley: – speak up if you exist, please, so we can figure out what’s the difference in configuration between you and us!).

As far as I’m aware, MilViz can’t even use different yoke animations based on whether the user is in VR or not, because the sim doesn’t tell add-ons which display device is in use, and even if it would, it would be a crazy workaround for something that Asobo needs to fix.

Maybe there are tricks to avoid “tripping” the bugs. Not trying to confuse the issue, but the Asobo C172 G1000 was affected by the non-linear behavior of the yoke since the launch of the sim, but something changed in SU6 and since then it moves perfectly in sync with a physical yoke with a range of 180°.

If only MilViz could raise the issue with the Asobo SDK people, they might be able to escalate it, even if they can’t reproduce it themselves. The video proof has to be good for something!

PS: I’ve done my testing with an old Oculus Rift CV1 and a Valve Index. Same results for both headsets, on both OpenXR runtimes (Oculus & Steam). I don’t use a Honeycomb yoke, but as far as I’m aware the results are the same with every input device, no matter whether the device is an USB yoke or stick through the MFS input layer, or whether FSUIPC or a similar tool is in use or not, or whether the yoke position is set indirectly using SimConnect variables to control the aileron position.

2 Likes

For me (I also have a Honeycomb Alpha) in pancake view it rotates correctly but in VR full rotation is about half. So exactly backwards from the video (She’s a QUIRKY BIRD - Taking a look at Milviz’s Cessna 310).

Based on aurel42de comments I will submit a bug report to asobo as MilViz allready knows.

2 Likes

I’m sure you meant Alpha for the yoke Bravo for Trim. I don’t think we are trying to blame anyone we are just reporting what we are seeing.

I think aurel42de has hit upon something … maybe your developers could raise the issue with Asobo’s developers.

1 Like

The interesting thing is normally, even with a linear flat curve, default MSFS seems to soften the pitch axis near the centre. Yet what is being reported here is an acceleration.

EDIT: roll not pitch

1 Like

I think you meant “roll axis”, I’ve never noticed any non-linear behavior along the pitch axis of any aircraft I’ve flown?

If so, yes, one “effect” is “softening” the roll axis near the center which affects many (not all) aircraft, 3rd-party as well as Asobo’s own. The behavior changes in some (not many) aircraft when entering/leaving VR.

A second, somehow independent effect is the “reduced range” of the roll axis (less than 100% deflection needed to move the yoke/stick animation to full deflection, in spite of 100% of deflection needed to move the aileron animations through their full range, as if the yoke wasn’t connected to the ailerons using cables or pulleys).

The MV310 shows both effects, the first one only on a flat display, the second one only in VR.