Milviz C310R Official Thread

As usual it is jumping on the bandwagon of dispute with no viable reason other than self promotion.

3 Likes

How are you using your flaps on final?

True, but many say that checklist item was written by Cessna’s lawyers, not their engineers. Either way, RPM is a red herring here, it doesn’t make a significant difference if it’s in the red or a bit lower in this speed range, let’s not have that discussion here now.
MP is the significant parameter.
The fact that many real world pilots fly stable final approaches with less than full RPM and lower MP than this sim model allows, even amplifies our claim of lack of realism.

2 Likes

Not what I see. In the videos I linked above, both real world pilots fly stable final approaches, full flaps, on the “blue line” at less than max RPM and about 17” MP, THEN reduce throttle on very short final even further to below 15” MP to slow down for flare and touch down.

(in both cases the aircraft are apparently relatively lightly loaded, as is Milviz’ guy in his sim approach video (check the fuel gauges))

1 Like

“Many say”? Who? Cite your sources.

Oh, and why is that? Again, cite your sources.

2 Likes

I’ve been debating as to engage here further or not- but for a final post before unfollowing this topic: For those of you who don’t come from a real world flying background, propeller RPM should be set to maximum on final approach so that maximum power is available from the engine in event of a go around. Increasing RPM whilst on final approach can also be used as a method to increase drag to slow the aircraft down further due to an unexpected tailwind or ATC speed requirement.

Enjoy arguing amongst yourselves :wave:

9 Likes

The argument is not about RPM in the first place (as I said above) and shouldn’t be derailed by it.
It’s about - apparently - too much drag with full flaps in the Milviz C310R.

Nobody has posted yet a proof, that blue line speed final approach with full flaps is flown with 22” (ish) MP in real life.
But plenty of proof has been given, that it’s flown with 17” (ish) MP settings instead IRL.

Is the earth flat? Is the pope catholic? What do you think?

3 Likes

Does anyone know if the mixture affects CHT? Trying to climb around 14,000, CHTs were maxing at over 420F despite running rich of peak. Seemed the only thing which cooled them (barely at that) was increasing airspeed. Seems the aircraft is unable to climb past this height, given that it climbs at such a slow speed, the CHTs go well above recommended temps. Just wondering if this is representative of the real aircraft or just this one.

I have zero idea if this is related or even modeled, but the POH states that you should turn on the Aux Fuel Pumps above 12,000 ft to avoid vapor formation.

Yes, mixture affects CHT, hence part of the reason for all the “discussion” around leaning lean of peak or rich of peak…

As a reference, while the plane is advertised to have a max ceiling of 20K ft, the POH only lists max cruise climb rates to 16,000 ft, with climb rates there from 500 ft/min to 16 ft/min depending on weight and OAT.

Typically the “ceiling” listed for an aircraft is going to be something like the full load altitude where at standard temp and pressure the aircraft can no longer maintain 100 fpm climb.

But there is not any set rule about what constitutes a ceiling it is up to the person quoting the figure.

Significantly, ceiling is NOT the maximum possible altitude an aircraft will eventually creep up to after several hours struggling to climb.

2 Likes

You open the cowls? That + ROP should produce acceptable temps while climbing at Vy IIRC. Been a while since I did any serious climbs in the 310. Mostly been sightseeing at 1-2k AGL around NZ with the new world update.

1 Like

So, just to be 100% clear, you think that the speed is too fast on approach with full flaps? And you’d like it to slow down by how much?

2 Likes

Negative, that’s not what he’s saying.
The flap lift is not the issue here. It’s the flap drag itself that is over-done, somewhat.

Using something like this will yield behavior a bit closer to reality:
[AERODYNAMICS]
drag_coef_flaps =0.040 ;was 0.0661

[FLAPS.0]
drag_scalar=0.08 ;was 1.0

4 Likes

Some posts removed. A reminder to keep this thread civil, and avoid posts aimed at other users or their views/opinions.

4 Likes

Further weight info IS irrelevant. You see the fuel gauges and the passengers in the videos.
That’s the minimum weight we have, The plane MIGHT be heavier, because we don’t know the cargo.

But already if we fly the Milviz C310R at comparable weights to those demonstrated (in minimum) in the video, the MP is significantly higher than in the videos. And it can only get even higher with more weight.

So a little bit of logical thinking would get us a long way here. And staying civilized of course. Thank you.

Further weight info IS irrelevant. You see the fuel gauges and the passengers in the videos.
That’s the minimum weight we have, The plane MIGHT be heavier, because we don’t know the cargo.

But already if we fly the Milviz C310R at comparable weights to those demonstrated (in minimum) in the video, the MP is significantly higher than in the videos. And it can only get even higher with more weight.

So a little bit of logical thinking would get us a long way here. And staying civilized of course. Thank you.

Dude, YouTube videos on their own are never going to be enough to properly change something in the flight modeling. I’ve been a beta tester in the flight sim community for long enough to know that.

2 Likes

I find it very strange that when asked to provide further information it is said there is enough there. If an individual asks for more information is should be welcomed in order to clarify any difference of opinion, unless of course if it is not possible and then a reason why should be attached. Most of us here are willing to learn but if there are no facts provided then credibility is lost.

4 Likes

To be honest, while I agree that any discrepancy from real performance should be addressed, this issue is not a game breaker. If the problem turns out to be real, you can compensate with more MP or less flap until it is sorted. (unlike the opposite scenario where the thing would just float forever)

4 Likes

I’ve designed the FDE for the FSX Milviz 310 and we had an 310R owner who did actual flight tests for the sim.
Just browsed through my data collection and the pirep says.

One notch of flaps, gear down, 500fpm ROD, max RPM and 17" = blue line.

Full flap drag can be checked by simply comparing the original performance data with the sim.

ROC at max power and 85kts with the gear and flaps down:
1250fpm @ 4700lbs
1480fpm @ 4300lbs

5 Likes

I’m just trying to help you. I can’t with the limited info you posted. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like