MilViz PC-6 Pilatus Porter Released

It hits the security of my system. Some unaudited network component done by someone without credentials for it. And that is ALWAYS running. This is a security risk.
This is like grounding your son because your daughter stayed out late.

3 Likes

Well, if you’re head of pentagon, then you’re probably should be worried. But if you are regular dude like majority of us - you’ll be ok.
Unless some sort of paranoid behavior has a place here, then only good psychologist can help, and it’s not cheap nowadays :rofl:
Saying so I’m finishing drm theme, it’s flight sim forum after all. peace

Would like to know how the Porter behaves on the ground during Takeoff. Some planes, i guess due to the way ASOBO updated things, some planes are more or less uncomtrollable during Takeoff

And are there any planes to implement the GTN750?
As a Premium pms user that woulf be a consideration.

I have been working in this area for a long time now. And you’d be surprised how many normal people are part of a bot network, a bitcoin remote mining operation and what have you without being none the wiser. Because they had software that could be attacked. One case was a plugin for a popular game. There is nothing you need a psychologist for.
All it takes is for the endpoint to be compromised, a bug in the SERVICE that is running on your system, and there you go. Someone else, who is not supposed to be having access has it. The story repeats itself quite often.

11 Likes

Exactly, totally agree! It is bit about this developer specific, but more a principal issue with ‘tools’ like this. It just creates potential vulnerabilities you don’t want.

Actually guys, I’m kinda know the answer but would like to be sure - are you somehow related to this project or in near future we might have two amazing versions of Swiss Army Knife?

Instant buy.

3 Likes

So, what’s this plane like to fly then? (should rename this thread, so little about the model in it)

How close to real flight dynamics is it, take-off roll, climb, stalls, approach, landing with and without beta; is there anyone with any experience with the real thing?

What about the soundscape, does it model relative position and react to the prop loading, internal rattles, etc?

Just wondering.

4 Likes

Unrelated project, but one to definitely keep your eye on as well! These look like they will be quite different takes on the Porter.

1 Like

But if you are regular dude like majority of us - you’ll be ok.

as someone who was raised by a hacker and works in the tech field this couldn’t be more naive

seriously, people should try to educate themselves on just how open most people leave themselves.

3 Likes

Removal of DRM is the only way I’d consider buying and would likely get if removed as even if say have experts, it’s clear as a community we don’t trust DRM and with very good cause.

You are loosing sales by having DRM, you won’t lose nearly as many due to pirates as they won’t pay anyway!

2 Likes

Same, if the DRM disappeared by the time I get out of work I will most likely purchase today

2 Likes

how the info who was your daddy related to the plane?

1 Like

Totally agree with you.

I definitely won’t be buying this either with the online DRM. Another lost sale.

I’m guessing the Cessna 310 will also have this DRM as well and I will be also giving this a miss too.

4 Likes

Can’t anyone confirm if all the CFG files are unlocked?

I’m having an issue, where when I start the Prerequisites Setup Wizard and select install, I get a message that says.

“Service ‘Milviz WASM Helper’ (Milviz WASM Helper) failed to start. Verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services.”

As far as I can tell this is the DRM causing problems, not the installation of the plane itself, which never seems to start.

I am also reporting this to the Milviz site so this is not a support request, just popping in here to say, as a person who has already paid for the plane, I too would support the removal of this DRM requirement if possible.

8 Likes

Can confirm.
It’s not locked up like stuff from the in game marketplace.

1 Like

The Plane itself, including the cfg files are not encoded. Copyprotection works in conjunction with the wasm files.

You should complain to and blame all the pirates out there.
How should they protect it in your opinion?

1 Like

As I posted before, I get punished for something someone else did.

MilViz wants to protect their asset from loss (I am all for it) and has a quarrel with the software pirates. Thus they implement a measure, an always on DRM. That goes against the basics standards of software development. You try to limit your exposure time to a potential attack by as much as possible. And who pays for that? Not MilViz, not the pirates, but the legitimate customer by making their system less secure to protect the assets of a third company.

If a DRM is employed it should minimize the contact to the control server, should not be installed as a service and be not permanently resident. So there. that would be a basis. Its current iteration is not. We routinely work with software that is more sought after than these airplanes, is way more expensive and sophisticated and has way less intrusive DRM. Measure and reason of said measure are out of proportion here.

23 Likes