“Virgin” Callsign does not work

#pc

Small issue to some I know, but ATC will no longer accept ‘VIRGIN’ as a callsign. It used to work, so why not after SU7? VIRGIN just gets replaced with *******

Why do these updates keep breaking things that worked just fine before - VERY FRUSTRATING!!! arrrrrgh… More houers wasted trying to fix / test things than actual flying…!

I guess there are many other callsigns that other users are having simialr issues with?

Only virgin i think they have a naughty word filter in place for some reason (to keep the game PG rated i think) and didn’t think about virgin being an actual real world call sign.

1 Like

Virgin is the callsign from Virgin Atlantic

If you’re on PC, you can open your livery’s Aircraft.cfg file, and manually add the Virgin callsign into the following field.

atc_airline = "Virgin" ; airline name

Hello, @FancifulSheet14 ,

You deleted the bug template when you logged this bug. In the future, please fill it out instead of deleting it.

Can you please tell me, when this happened, did you make your own call sign “Virgin”, or was this realtime traffic that you heard talking to ATC?

I have exactly the same issue.
When I try typing Virgin in the atc call sign box in the customisations menu of the aircraft selection, sometimes it allows me to type in Virgin, other times it deletes it as soon as I click out of the box…
On the few occasions it has accepted it, when I load into the game it is replaced with ******* in the atc window.
Very frustratingly, when flying around in airliners, i nearly always hear atc using the Virgin call sign for AI traffic!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of things to share:

1. Don’t forget to vote for your own bug report! :slightly_smiling_face:

2. Regarding typing out the word “Virgin”, please vote in the following topic and add your comment to the bug about typing that word:

1. Since a different topic exists for your callsign, it would helpful to make bug about how ATC refers to Virgin realtime traffic. It would help if you could edit your first post and specifically mention realtime traffic. If you have screenshots, that would help, too.

2. While editing, it would be really helpful if you could add in the big template to your first post. It helps the team generate bug reports. Here is the new one (click to un-collapse it)

Bug template
:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
>

Brief description of the issue:
>

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
>

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
>

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:
>

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
>

------
:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

[wrap=template key="Topic_template"]

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP's steps to reproduce it?
>

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:
>

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:
>
[/wrap] 

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

You cannot use ‘Virgin’ as a callsign in-game. It also cannot be spoken by ATC when using live traffic and you encounter a Virgin Atlantic flight. I have raised the issue several times on the zendesk but it keeps getting closed. I presume this is due to the word being on a naughty list at Microsoft for some reason. When you type it in the callsign box, it disappears after a brief moment, as would other swear words. Minor issue but one that should be easy to fix.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Try and type ‘Virgin’ in your callsign box.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

N/A

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

1 Like

Not a bug, I’d guess more a legal/copyright problem on being allowed to use certain airlines in the base game. I understand that MS/Asobo are or have been in negotiations with more than one airline for permission to use their names in the sim.

Third-party developers don’t seem to be too worried about that of course so you still see Virgin liveries and aircraft - at their own risk of being sued of course, although I don’t believe Richard Branson is all that bothered. MS of course is a much bigger “target” for the legal eagles!

1 Like

…either that or the “profanity” filter is just getting a little too enthusiastic?

1 Like

100% agree that r the “*********” filter is just getting a little too *********** ?

Is this to keep it PEGI 3 rated, then maybe it should also filer out out all those long and complicated works with more that 6 letters in them ? (Really DUMB it down)

Yeah I’m pretty sure this is the profanity filter rather than any copyright issue. Virgin Atlantic can’t exactly copyright a callsign as far I’m aware. I think it’s likely that the same filter is used across multiple Microsoft products (minecraft etc) so it’s likely that Virgin is banned to stop kids shouting it at each other as an insult.

I doubt this will get much traction but it’s the livery I like to use the most so hopefully there will be a fix some day.

1 Like

Maybe, a way around this, in this particular case of “Virgin” is to (if acceptable), spell it differently, in a way that is acceptable to the “MSFS” Profanity filter.

ie , maybe as “Virginn”

Note: The MSFS Forum “profanity” filter seems to have no issue with the word “Virgin”, – it’s only MSFS 2020 ?

2 Likes

If you’re on PC, you can bypass this by editing your livery’s aircraft.cfg file. Search for the following line and add the Virgin callsign like so:

atc_airline="Virgin" ; airline name

Then when you choose the livery, make sure in your flight customisation you leave the Callsign blank. This will make the sim to read the entry above in the aircraft.cfg and use that callsign instead, which always works without going through the profanity filter.

This is how I build my own livery library. I populate all my livery collection with the proper callsign (which includes spaces and appropriate upper caps) and I just leave the flight customisation field empty all the time.

This way, I don’t need to manually change callsign every time I want to fly a different livery, as soon as I choose another livery, the sim automatically reads the callsign from the aircraft.cfg and it always works.

2 Likes

The only way i can get it to work is by spelling “Virgin” differently and using a “J” instead of “G” for instance “Virjin” for virgin atlantic

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Have the same issue. Tried to add VIRGIN call sign . Would not work.

Hi there,
Welcome back to the forums!
If you are having the same issue and don’t have any additional details, you can just vote for the issue.

I added VIRGIN to the cfg file. Works fine that way

I have same issue on XBOX. The strange thing is that you can’t set “Virgin” callsign on your own aircraft, but you can hear the ATC call other AI flight “Virgin”… If “Virgin” is considered as a “dirty” word why the AI flight can use “Virgin” callsign? If so, the word filter is useless.