Missing/gaps in reflections near aircraft components

Has anyone else noticed these gaps? These are present in other aircraft and other areas like window edges, struts etc.

I’m sure there’s a technical explanation, which someone will supply, but my understanding is that the reflections are rendered after everything else is onscreen, so only what is visible can have a reflection. Where the struts obscure the scenery, the reflections can’t be rendered. I guess they are simply removed, so that you won’t get the struts reflected in the water, which would be weird.

Notice that reflections are also missing toward the edges (left and right) of the windshield even though there is nothing there… and the amount of reflection missing is different between the two tubes (e.g. the gaps are not equal even though the tubes themselves are equal).

I guess the edges fade out so that we’re not constantly seeing reflections drawing as we turn.
Looking at the missing strips, they do roughly match the area where the struts obscure the actual scenery – they differ in size because on the left the scenery is closer, hence towards the narrow end on the strut, and on the right side where the scenery is covered the strut is wider.

These reflection gaps really bug me

Very immersion breaking in VR (and also on monitor) is a bug where raymarched reflections disappears around poles in cockpit. This is very immersion breaking and needs to be fixed.

Video of issue: Raymarched bug MSFS2020 - YouTube

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
No add-ons, issue persists

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
I have disabled dev mode

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
Screenshots and video added at bottom of article

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Fly around water bodies and look at the reflections on the water (shown in the video)

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
i7 8700K @4.8
32GB DDR4 CL15 ram
RTX 3090 Asus Rog Strix ( Driver Version: 30.0.14.9649 )
Win10x64pro (19041)

Peripherals connected to my machine:
HOTAS Warthog Throttle + Joystick
Logitech Quadrant Pro
VKB Rudder
x2 custom made arduino collective and button box
Fanatec DD1 + shifter and handbrake
Heusinkveld Sprint
D-BOX motion system
Oculus Quest 2 - 256gb

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam version

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
Yes, 134293

This can only be solved with ray tracing, which is supposedly coming later. Though it will probably be borderline impossible to use in VR since that’s already very performance heavy.

The cause for this is screen-space reflections – the reflections are made up of data literally taken from the screen. So since part of the island is blocked by the aircraft “beam” and not drawn, the reflection can’t contain that data, either.

Oh, this makes a lot of sense. I thought that maybe raymarched reflections was utilizing the rtx of my card? We’ll see how heavy rtx will be in dx12 then… Shouldn’t be impossible with my card

I have this exact issue. If i turn it off its gone
But the quality reduce is bad

I’m on NVidia DLSS
DX12 beta

Can you help

All my settings are ultra high

It’s irritating to see the on screen build up of those shadows and dark reflection on water

I was flying golden gate bridge and the whole bridge is reflected terribly

Please guide

Thanks

I have posted issues but never have i got a single reply from The Game Developers.

This is a known limitation of how reflections are currently implemented. Some day a future improvement might come, but there is no guarantee of that.