[Missions] FS Academy - IFR instrument flight training missions | FS Academy

Thanks for getting in touch via email, I only ask that players do this as I understand this forum is not intended for addon support.

I’ll repeat the advice here for the benefit of anyone else with the same hurdle:

Following the instruction on screen and on the G1000, press the ENT button to swap the ADF frequency to 332 for Shoreham. This tunes the ADF, which is then displayed by toggling the BRG2 needle in the PFD->BRG needle menu.

Note: It is the intention that the ADF is pre-tuned for you, but a limitation of MSFS currently prevents this and instead always loads a flight with 890 tuned. Once this is rectified, there will be one less step for you to complete.

Being able to set and display your navaids is of course a crucial step of instrument flying, so take this opportunity before departure to become more familiar with the G1000.

Happy landings!

2 Likes

Hi,
I have requested MS add a note to the Marketplace store page to highlight that FS Academy mission packs are available in English only. Thanks for the report.

Hello, I own and like all the FS Academy missions (VFR, IFR and Voyager), but with IFR Mission 10 I have the same issue.
Tried 5-6 times, finally even with Autopilot for high precision. I am quite sure that everything is set correctly incl. the ADF to 332 (Nav 1), displayed in BRG2 and on screen acc. to your screenshot above and my screenshot below. I am more or less exactly on the 150 finally, but there is not any annoucement to finish and hit ESC.
No need for me to write an e-mail to support, I will proceed now to mission 11, but maybe the parameters for this final checkpoint are set a little too narrow?
Regards

1 Like

Hi there, thanks for the info, I have heard of some others having an issue at this exact step. I’ll look into it and see what the matter is. In the meantime I hope you’re enjoying IFR!

Edit: From previous feedback of this very topic, I had greatly enlarged the trigger for this step in a previous update. I’ll do further investigations.

1 Like

I am not very happy yet.

I was doing IFR 03 and I followed the instructions to the point where I was basically turning around I reset my yellow arrow and then I followed the flying course past the coast and out into the ocean ad-infinitum and nobody ever talked to me again. I was at the proscribed 2000 feet and had been following all of the instructions. I did this twice in ended up at the same place.
Then I tried IFR 04. I reached the point to follow course and heading 130. I did this and then flew out into the ocean completely away from where I had started. Another dead end.

Considering one cannot pause this simulation, yes not for reasons that you are responsible for, the instructions come extremely quickly sometimes for one who is not versed in this equipment yet.

Not to mention the fact that in both missions normally my pilot instructor would have said something to me to indicate that I am not following the right track or that I have not done the right thing and in this case or in both cases nothing like that has occurred.

In the first two missions, everything worked, including the instructor chastising me when I went astray.

For me, this just does not really work (yet?).

p.s., and no, I never paused anything.

1 Like

Hi there, sorry to hear of your struggle.
Are you sure you’re flying to the correct navaids? If you follow the instructions and fly the the right place, there won’t be any issues.

Ensure you are not confusing these:
Seaford VOR
Shoreham NDB

If possible, provide a LittleNavMap trace so I can see where you are going.

Hello,
IFR v1.30 Mission 10:
Same problem as mentioned above, when leaving the NDB ‘SHM’ with hdg 150° at the 150° radial, the mission will not trigger as finished.
Tried it several times with different speeds/curves etc.

I guess the instructor is speechless about the mistake free flight… haha

2 Likes

Hi there,

Thanks for the report. Are you using the latest version (v1.3). I’m looking into what might be wrong.

1 Like

To be honest this isn’t a real game breaking issue as this happens at the end.
When you know you’ve done it right, just skip to next mission.
Nevertheless, awesome training missions.
The FS2020 training missions are a joke.

I remember the original missions in FSX or FS2002/2004 back then which were far more detailled than FS2020, which i only partially played.
I never attended the NDB/VOR and other IFR missions back then.

1 Like

Hello, I’m a fairly new flight simmer and want to learn to fly in VR. I have a good understanding of the basics and can fly on the main realistic settings (no fuel mix and stuff like that though). Now understanding the self-explanatory cockpit instruments I would like to take the next step. Couple of questions before I buy the first course:

• Would you suggest for me to start with VFR, or IFR?
  • Is it fully playable in VR? Suppose I just pre-read the manual before a mission and then follow the instructions in VR?
  • And last question, is buying it in the ingame market place the full experience, or are there benefits of buying outside of the marketplace?

Thanks in advance for your response.

1 Like

Hi there,

Thanks very much for your questions, I hope I can help.

-I’d recommend VFR first, as this is the natural order that you would take IRL.

-The missions run well in VR, and if you are comfortable with using VR with MSFS there should be nothing stopping you.

-All versions are identical, regardless of store.

Best,
FS Academy

1 Like

Thanks for the fast response @choon172
Getting started with VFR tonight!

1 Like

Man that was fun! I finished the first two lessons tonight, had to do the second one twice because I got the circuit on the wrong shoulder. Good thing you cover practicing these circuits in the 3rd lesson. It’s amazing to do this in VR, what an experience. A lot of respect for those doing this on regular screens as I would find it super difficult to position myself properly without being able to look around freely.

A lot to take in though, especially the whole ATC language. Keen to find out how this works when having to arrange all that as well while managing all the controls. Talking about controls, I now really can’t wait for my throttle quadrant to finally come by mail. Currently managing trim is very hard as I’m constantly overshooting. And I guess I have to buy pedals as well now that I’ll be taxi-ing more :smiley: .

Thanks for creating this @choon172 , can’t wait to continue the rest of the lessons.

1 Like

Thanks for coming straight back with your feedback. I’m really pleased to hear you’re having a great time. VR does add an extra dimension (literally) and gives that small plane in a big world feeling.

Happy landings

1 Like

hello, i m french, and i m not a world champion on english, so is it understandable for me ? i hesitate…

Hi, yes if you can read reasonably well, it is fully subtitled, although it is of course down to your reading level

ok, i can read easily, so let s go vfr and ifr

1 Like

Do note that IFR currently has abbreviated subtitles, but VFR’s are full. Being improved in an update.

Hi Folks.

I’m sorry if this has been asked, and I’ve searched as many ways I can think, on the following…

I have Electronic Flight bag , it allows me to look at approach charts in VR. I have all the charts from the pdf instructions made into new jpgs so I can use them with my ebag. In the flights i prepare in the sim, I can use ebag, it becomes an icon on the top tool bar. I cant access that top tool bar, to run my ebag, so I can follow the instructor, without having to remove the glasses all the time to check one thing or another on the chart or in notes. Is there another way to display the digital files of the provided charts, so as to be see and followed in VR?

1 Like

Hi there,

Currently the Toolbar is inhibited by MSFS without some extra features being implemented in the missions.

Since release, we have made further leaps in mission development, so the toolbar, opening camera, exit menu and on-screen objectives are now all possible and will be implemented in an update to both IFR and VFR, along with an upcoming release to be announced very soon!

This does not guarantee that non-official toolbar apps such as your EFB will work, but I don’t see why not.

2 Likes