Mod: Realistic A320 detents for the Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant

Well if people are using custom 3d printed detents, they could have a different position compared to you, so their setting might not work either.

I think it’s a good idea to tackle this problem with logical steps. Here’s what we know.
On the default detents, we know that Thrustmaster throttle quadrant is set up to have equal spacing between each detents. About 25% power increase for each detents since we have a total of 5 detents and 4 gaps in between that’s equally spaced.

The throttle in the default A320neo are not equally spaced. we have -20% to 0% for the reverse to IDLE, then 80% from IDLE to CLB, then 15% from CLB to FLX/MCT then 5% from FLX/MCT to TO/GA.

These differences in detent spacing is the reason why the default profile has an increase in sensitivity on the first part before it drops once it reaches the 80% mark. This is to cover that 25% movement in the physical throttle to cover 80% of the virtual throttle in the sim.

So, coming back to your custom 3d printed detents. Where do you place them in the first place? All you need is to compare the range that your physical throttle must travel for each detent, then matching it with the virtual throttle that it must travel to cover the same range. The closer they are together, the more linear you need the sensitivity to be.

Let’s start with the IDLE detent. You can use the “Neutral” slider, to find the IDLE point. Position your physical throttle to your IDLE position, then check the virtual throttle position in the cockpit. If the virtual throttle is higher than IDLE, then your neutral point is too high. Gradually reduce the Neutral slider and keep testing until you have a matching IDLE point between your physical throttle and virtual throttle. Similarly, if the virtual throttle is in the reverse zone, then you need to adjust the neutral point to a higher value until you do.

Once you find the Neutral Point to match the IDLE position, you can look for the other detents, starting with the CLB. Same method. position your physical throttle in your custom CLB detent position. then look in the cockpit. If the cockpit position is higher than the CLB detent in there, your sensitivity is too high. adjust the slider to reduce it. Same thing if it sits below the CLB detent in the cockpit, increase the sensitivity until you get it. (I can’t remember from the top of my head which sensitivity slider to adjust for the forward thrust.It’s one or the other, so just try them out.)

Once you get the CLB detent matching, the rest should match as well. Otherwise, you can do minor adjustment with the sensitivity without unmatching the CLB detent, or you might need to move your custom 3d printed detents around as well until you get a matching one.

Hi, thanks a lot. I tried that. I matched the physical detents to the virtual ones (more or less) by adjusting SENSITIVITY- slider. However, the problem is - even though the physical spacing between IDLE and CLB is now much larger with the new detents, the game doesn’t recognize it. It means that when I gradually increase power from IDLE up to CLB, virtual power doesn’t increase linearly. There is a big bump at the beginning of the increase and then it slows down as I get closer to CLB. So even though the physical spacing is now larger than it was with default detents, the game still thinks it’s only 25%. What I need to do is find out which in-game values to change so the game recognizes there is more physical spacing on the controller and lets me linearly increase power (the same way it’s done on the FBW A32NX).

Yeah, that’s the difference between the default in-game sensitivity curve and FBW handling of it. The FBW handles in “points” not curve. Which means at every detent, the sensitivity “line” changes angle so that it still moves linearly, but at a different rate for each detent.

The In-game default sensitivity curve wasn’t designed that way. They’re designed to be a single curve. Which means if you increase the sensitivity at the beginning, it will curve so that the sensitivity drops at the end, and you can’t really do anything about it.

I’m pretty sure most people who already have this custom detents installed, they’re probably stop using the default A320neo anyway, so I don’t think they have any particular setting that you can work with.

Thanks a lot. I was afraid there was nothing I could do with the default A320. That’s a real shame, though. Are there any other Airbus planes apart from FBW A32NX that can be downloaded/bought and would work with new detents?

Well, we have the Native Airbus A330-900neo » Microsoft Flight Simulator. But it’s still using the default MSFS sensitivity curve. So it works the same way as the default A320neo.

However, the developer has put into their roadmap that the aircraft will be updated with the FBW A32NX systems, and the throttle calibration feature will be included in there as well. So this should work with your custom detents the same way. But I’m not sure when this will be updated. I’m also stil using the default sensitivity curve as a separate profile for this aircraft.

Perhaps the upcoming Fenix Simulations A320 could work as well if they have a custom throttle calibration similar to FBW A32NX. But this aircraft isn’t released yet.

May I ask what kind of lessons that you bought that it only works on the default A320? I would think those lessons would be incorrect to begin with since the default A320 has a lot of wrong things simulated.

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply. I’m glad it works well with the A32NX at least.

Sure, I bought FS Academy - Jetliner (I can’t paste links, so that’s why I only wrote the name). I would be extremely happy if there were also other tutorials available, especially ones that work with the A32NX, but I haven’t found any yet.

I learned A320neo a lot more from youtube like 320 Sim Pilot. He’s a real Airbus pilot so his lessons are based on real world knowledge.

Most of his tutorials are using the A32NX.

Thanks a lot, I will have a look.

Hi @hotbso - Interested in giving these a whirl. Curious if you’ve updated the 3D model again since you last posted here in May '21? I see your model is now on V5 on ShapeWays. Have you refined further? Thanks!

Hi @bburkley4569, I did several experiments since then but version V5 is still the best overall.

Hi!

Ordered these from shapeways, as I dont have access to 3D printer. Fast delivery, and they are working great! Thx a lot to the creator :slight_smile:

Freddy

1 Like

Hi guys, I ve received my mod throttle. I would like to configure it, but I don’t find «ThrottleConfiguration.ini ». Could you help me please. Thanks

Just follow this guide. flyPad Throttle Calibration - FlyByWire Simulations Documentation

Thanks NEO4316

It s work fine now with 320 fly by wire! Thanks!
I would like to use my new TCA détente as well with Airbus 320 per default in FS 2020 (mainly to do challenge flight) but I can t find settings, Since one week I have tried many settings but it doesn t work… Flex, TOGA, reversers doesn t match with position in the plane… Please could you help me? Thanks

You need the default TCA control profile if you want to use it with the default A320. Just keep the A32NX as a separate profile, and switch them around when you want to fly different aircraft.

Thanks, but the problem with default TCA Control settings and the TCA modification is flex, MCT, reverses doesnt match with the mod TCA and it s my problem, I would like to calibrate defaut 320 with TCA mod but I don t know how to do…

I dont think it will work with the mod because the curve was done for the same distances. But that is unrealistic with the mod as you got a bigger clb range and a small toga range etc. If you want to fly the standard a320 you will have to change the detends. I cant imaginr that you can calibrate the curve inside msfs with the modded detends.

Thanks SiderealPizza0, in fact I would like to use 320 default to play with challenge flight which are not working anymore with FBW 320 if I m right… but with mod TCA it seems it s not possible.

Hi, thank you for your great mod! Just asking do you have plans to make a custom detent for the flaps so it can be used with the upcoming pmdg 737? Don’t know if that’s possible since the current flaps detent module seems pretty full.