Monitor Suggestions for New Build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XxCzb8
Have everything ordered for this build. Except for the 3080 obviously. Can anyone recommend a monitor for $400 or less? Would like to go 4K but kinda concerned with the 10gb of vram on the 3080. 1440 would be fine too. Would it hurt to have a 4K monitor and use it on 1440? I’ve read some people say downscaling looks terrible. Im a noob and this is my first build lol. Any advice is welcome.

Edit: would prefer 144 hz for other games such as FPS. Minimum 32”. I know I’m asking for a lot with the budget. Could wait and spend a little more if necessary just looking to see what people would recommend.

Look at the ultrawide range of LG…

If you are getting 1440p use a 1440p monitor and vice versa. Native 1440p is going to be crisper than using a 4k monitor and dropping it down to 1440p,have tested this before. A decent VA 1440p 144hz mon is also a good option but that resolution looks best on 24-27inch sizes.Check out LG,SAMSUNG,DELL,ASUS.

1 Like

I would suggest spending your monitor budget on quality rather than size/resolution. To this end I would say going for a 2k monitor (1440) with a 27” would be the better option. Note 2k on a 27” screen is kind of a sweet spot with regards to pixel density.

The added benefit of the lower resolution should also equate improved performance compared to 4K. We know flight sims are demanding on PC performance the difference between 2k and 4K may well be the difference of a smooth and consistent experience against dips in performance leading to stutters or dropping settings.

3080 will do 4k just fine.
I’d say do 4k with around 80% of render scaling, will look good with a bit of driver forced sharpening.
Digitalfoundries video goes more in depth onto render scaling, it “upscales” the image to native res.

Samsung 49" Curved 120hz monitor is the BEST. Its about $1200 Canadian so like 850 or $900 USD. You’ll never want another screen. Being super wide is perfect for Flight Sim. I have a 2080ti and it runs the game maxed out other than render scaling at 50FPS at KLAS or 45 at Innsbruck (ORBX addon too). If the 3080 is as good as they said you should be able to get 60FPS on a 4k monitor easily.

1 Like

The higher the resolution, the lower your framerate will be, except if you can afford a real beast of a gpu like a rtx 2080ti or higher.

I’m going for a RTX 3080.
question is whether I need Gsync or not.??

Yup, for the OP, that’s only 3 easy payments of $399.99 Canadian, or a little over 2 payments US!

This is good news!!
I was opting for this screen as well but I was a bit concerned how it would perform in terms of screen tearing. How is your experience so far? Are you playing 5120X1440 resolution? Do you experience tearing?

Kind regards,

Mark

All - I also have the same question. I am considering ASUS and Samsung. In the SS arena, the G7 or G9, depending on my cash, the G9 early on rated poorly, they pulled it back and then re-released it, the new ones seem to be excellent based on Reviews on AMZN. ASUS has some 35" curved ones I am also looking at since use ASUS Laptop. RTX-2070 Card, would have to buy another hub which would provide Display Port access using USB-C output from Laptop to HUB. Want to be in the 180-240Hz range, but realize this will significantly raise costs. But, the monitor will last far longer than PC, since about 3 years on Laptop is about all you can hope for and still play this sim considering all the updates and changes coming. And like many, just do not get the specifications and how it all comes together, if you have knowledge please link or explain. I like the SS monitors because they mimic the curvature of the human eye. So viewing would be easier, since use curved one now. I also believe 49" is too wide based on space and maybe not seeing sides as well, even again, though it is curved. Your thoughts please.

Is Native 1440p (2K) still crisper than running in 4K with 70% render scale (effective 1440p) while outputting 4K.

4K better if you want to watch movies/shows that have native 4K content. If exclusively gaming, then just get 1440p and save $. For that budget, I’ve only seen 4K at 60hz.