Mooney Liveries

Are there any?
I have searched for hours on all the usual pages and found nothing.
I then looked at the files myself and found out that some bodycolors have apparently been integrated into the model itself.
At least it looks like it.
Is that the problem why there are no liveries for this model?
I mean, liveries were also made for the Asobo Deluxe models.
And most people are already painting directly on the models anyway, at least as far as I’ve noticed.
Is it that much more difficult with the Carenado Mooney?

4 Likes

I would like to know this too. I was also looking for more liveries and nothing comes up.

I’ve tried to make a custom livery without success :frowning:

So this means we will not be able to use liveries for payware planes?

I don’t know how this will be received by many people who are already on the fence about MSFS.

It’s certainly possible, there are some liveries for IndiaFoxTecho’s MB-339 available. Unfortunately, you have to add the liveries directly to the installed aircraft folder and modify a config file.

Hopefully, there will be a way to add them straight to the Community folder at some point in the future.

Well don’t think that it is a general problem with payware planes.

At the mooney, carenado decided to integrate the livery directly into the model, instead of outsourcing the livery separately, as almost everyone else does.

So you had to load the complete model, in an 3d Programm so to speak, then change the livery directly on the model itself and save it as a new modell.

With the mooney i managed to change colors, but the pattern where it occurs and so on stays the same because it is indicated directly in the model where which color is displayed.
So without changing the 3d model you can do nothing else except change one color from e.g. blue to white.

On the picture below you can see where I could change colors.
There are 4 places in total that can be colored.
i used extra extreme colors to show where which pattern ends.
Each color in the picture is an area that you can color as you like.

The 4 colors are then also reflected on the wing tips and the fin.

The gray of the aircraft is embedded in the model and cannot be replaced without changing things directly in the model itself.

Its just extreme extra work and not as easy to handle as e.g. just change a few textures that are reproduced on the model, as almost all other manufacturers do.

So it is not a general MSFS2020 problem but a decision by carenado to do so.
Other payware manufacturers can of course go other ways and make things easier.!

3 Likes

So you chanhged the little 4 tone graphic that exists in the texture folder, I knew that would be possible. But that means we will never see metal liveries and actual repaints.

I guess that’s one more thing that I need to pay attention to, next time I buy a new plane.

1 Like
1 Like

If you make the paint chip talked about in the Github link above transparant you have a full canvas without the lines. (quite some Asobo planes also use a paint chip).

You also can make Community drag & drop liveries just fine for the payware planes with liveries inside the plane folder (I made one for the Long-EZ for example here )

I like those “extreme colors”!
Is this available to download?

A small correction to what you say : the “4-color palette” has its own COMP file, so you can make every one of the 4 colors metallic or not independently from one another. But of coursr that won’t affect the rest of the plane.

I understand the part about the transparency, but wouldn’t that just make the plane white? how could we paint a texture? do we have to find out the exact name Carenado used and then drop a file into the folder with the encrypted packages?

@RageQuitBob The texture folders are usually not encrypted in combination with looking at some available drag & drop liveries for one of the encrypted planes and you see it’s not that hard to figure out how it’s done.

Yes, but in this case they are. There are no texture files to paint, only .bin and .gltf files. Only the cockpit textures are open, hence the discussion in this thread.

Well if that is the case you wonder if you want to buy another product from that company if they don’t even allow people to paint their planes.

I wasn’t going to pour out the baby with the bathwater.

We just want to find out if we can add a texture, for example by dropping it in one of the /model folders, not turn this into another “boycot” thread.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to change the color of the registration number and landing gear structures in the #2 livery version. I tried changing ATC ID Color in the aircraft config of that livery but it doesn’t change anything.

1 Like

It’s entirely possible to do full repaints and adjust metal properties for every part of the plane.

How to edit the existing liveries colors was explained here already, and you can make those colored parts metallic as well by modifying LIV1_COMP.PNG.dds …

But tp do complete repaints and ignore the current “livery” layout, you first have to make that 4-color livery texture (LIV1_ALB.PNG.dds) transparent.
(This will make the plane completely white)
Then you “just” have to edit the ALMVEO_EXT1_ALB.PNG.DDS(fuselage) and ALMVEO_EXT2_ALB.PNG.DDS(wings) textures and their accompanying COMP files for the metal/roughness properties.

The PA44 Seminole from Carenado is exactly the same in this aspect, and I’ve done a complete repaint livery editing textures only to a drag/drop livery here:

And as a proof of concept, here’s my work in progress Mooney livery, complete repaint (just started):

1 Like

thanks that sounds very handy. unfortunately I no longer have MSFS but I hope it could still be useful in the future.

Yessss! I see you’ve given in to the Mooney lol