Mooney M20R Basic Information

I’ve not seen them either, at least not in the sim. They did fix a few things:

Default views are now better.
VOR receiver now works with just NAV2 tuned. Before both NAV1, and NAV2 needed to be tuned to the same frequency.
AP NAV mode no longer zig-zags along the course.

Did they make the cold start more realistic in the update? I finally managed to update it but had issues starting it cold, every time i put the mixture to full the engine just stopped, power was also at a minimum with throttle at full as well, the only way to start it is everything at full except throttle at 30% and when you start the the engine go full throttle after 2 seconds.

Are you starting at a high altitud airport?

[quote=“Necramonium83, post:408, topic:277840, full:true”]
Did they make the cold start more realistic in the update? I finally managed to update it but had issues starting it cold, every time i put the mixture to full the engine just stopped, power was also at a minimum with throttle at full as well, the only way to start it is everything at full except throttle at 30% and when you start the the engine go full throttle after 2 seconds.
[/qu

Dont really remember, i just picked a random airport in the center of Canada.

It can be one reason for that behaviour. But maybe is a bug as well.

this is because of the FFLOW/EGT issue in MSFS… also M20R is bit affected

start the engine, in special if you in bit higher area, not in full-rich

update: meant was the post from @Necramonium83

I did the update and my plane has disappeared completely. Is there a way to re-install/download?

1 Like

Check if its in your game folder first, over at YourPackagesFolder\Official\Steam\carenado-aircraft-m20r-ovation, delete anything in that folder, than go to the store, find the plane, and download it.

I have not had that issue, and I’ve flown a number of IFR flights using GPS routing since the 1.1.1 patch came out.

If you select HDG and NAV at the same time, I would expect it to hold the selected heading until it intercepts the NAV course, and then follow that, just the same as using VS with an altitude pre-selected works. Haven’t actually tried it though, I generally use heading to fly runway heading for an arbitrary distance, and then switch to NAV which lets it calculate its own intercept route and angle. So far it’s been working as I wanted it to.

You briefly mentioned VNAV in your post, I think VNAV is still broken for all aircraft, and is an underlying sim bug, nothing to do with this particular aircraft, or any other. Besides, there is no VNAV on this bird.

Though I think if someone built their own VNAV logic from scratch, they’d be unaffected by the underlying sim bug in the first place, but again, that wouldn’t apply here.

KKT

Have they by chance fixed the camera views in the cockpit while using the joystick trying to look around the left and right view looks down at the wing ??

I haven’t yet experienced any of these issues, and I started with version 1.1.1.

i just checked and its fixed thankfully. it made playing in the cockpit challenging lol

1 Like

For the bug it was my mistake. Used to fly for testing directly on runway (200 time!) so the CDI GPS mode was activated by default in this case. When I came back to a normal cold and start flight, I just forgot to switch to GPS (default is LOC). Sorry for that.
When I was speaking about VNAV, I mean the VNAV key of the GNS530. This is not a real VNAV because it’s not coupled to the aircraft. It’s just a help to find the correct descent profile. This is very useful. If you have the official GNS530 guide from garmin this is explained on section 11.

I don’t, but are they available online? Did you bookmark it by any chance? I do need to get my hands on one. I actually get a POH for the aircraft I fly (and some that I don’t, yet anyway, like the TBM), and find them very handy reference materials. Of course I’m a real life pilot (or was before my legs stopped working), and I crave the “real” part in the “As real as it gets” marketing tagline.

Just for info in case you want to do the same - i opened a ticket at Carenado Zendesk for Autopilot VS/ALT button assignments and received the following response:

The ticket:
I want to control the ALT and VS settings for the Autopilot with Joystick buttons.
So i have assigned 4 buttons to:
[DECREASE|INCREASE] AUTOPILOT REFERENCE [ALTITUDE|VS]

VS buttons: generally only working when VS mode is on or if ALT mode is ARMED. In ALT mode the display showing the VS is bugged (values seem to be changed but up/down arrow disappears and the numbers are all 0 or 8).
As said, it is working in ALT ARMED mode, but here i am able to change VS even while i am on the ALT page, not only on the VS page. This should not be possible.

ALTIMETER buttons: dont work at all.
But they have an unwanted side effect: When in VS hold mode (climbing), a press of any of the two buttons is reversing the VS direction (sending you into a dive).

I also cant find any possibility to assign the VS/ALT rotary knob push/pull-button (labeled “PULL VS”). If there is any, pelase let me know (its incredibly hard to hit with the mouse because of the small hit boxes of all rotary knob functions).
Also i am looking for possibility to assign keys to the ENG and ARM buttons - i cant find any, and the controls i tried didnt work (like SET AUTOPILOT VS|ALTIMETER HOLD).

The response:
We can not guaranteed its full functionality, as those assignments works with simulator’s variables and codes, and we modify those codes in order to have more realistic systems, gauges and behavior.

Here is the link for GNS530 user’s guide: https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GNS530_PilotsGuide.pdf

1 Like

For the VS/ALT rotary knob very difficult to switch I already reported the issue to Carenado.
Now in order to adjust VS you can use the UP and DOWN buttons of the autopilot (One click is about 50ft).

1 Like

What I did was to create a custom view (ctrl-alt-(0-9)). I put it in “slot” 1, which you get to by alt-1 after it’s set. It’s a flat on super zoomed view of the ASP, and is still a pain in the ■■■ to use, but is easier.

Hope this helps…

KKT

Many grassy asses. It doesn’t want to download right now, I guess Garmin’s servers are either slammed or having issues. But I’ve got the address now, even if I have to wait for later to download it.

KKT

Rather ridiculously this is the path for me, but I have the steam version and its installed to a custom location, so it will be a variation of this for you.

H:\MSFS\Official\Steam\carenado-aircraft-m20r-ovation\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado_M20R_Ovation\Documentation