More Physics, More Real Winds

Please explain what assumptions and simplifications I made last time?

Sarcastic copy/paste doesn’t really prove you know how to land the plane like in the video. Or Does it according to you?

My RL experience is nearly 20 years of flying three types of GA aircraft.
But for big jets, IRL I have never been nothing more than a passenger.
I also have X number of hours flying big jets in Y simulator. So I only know what that simulator has taught me.
The difference is that I admit it.

10 Likes

What assumptions did you make? I’m talking about developers?

A first simulation would have the center of lift be roughly halfway through the aircraft and all lift applied at one point.

The next would have lift position vary with angle of attack.

The third would have individual lift vectors for each portion of the wing

The fourth would simulate the pressure distribution on the wing and calculate force distribution accordingly

Etc.

That’s how model improvements are done to computer software as hardware improves over the years.

At no point are simulators designed based on other simulators, developers always go back to fundamental physical phenomena.

2 Likes

Please do post a video of your landing so we can compare it to our perception of your experience.
That way we all could learn from your flying and real world physics.
Thank you.

1 Like

Flying real planes, and flying simulator, by far, gives you some impression to what degree these simulators are accurate otherwise, you would not be using these simulators for any great reason.

1 Like

I am sorry, Please explain, because these videos are only marketing ideas, when I see real world physics like in the x-plane, while enjoying hard landing with strong cross winds, I would be very happy if you post a video or two from your perception of FS2020, I would love to learn from you.

1 Like

No I got a life.

2 Likes

This game to be basic? Well, for that you can create an option selection for different equations, in addition, if anyone that has never flown an aircraft, tries to fly a real simulator, how they can know it is real, if it’s the first time they are trying it out, and one doesn’t need a game that is easy to play, if one just needs to fly it for crashing it, you can enable real physics to each real aircraft, you don’t need stupid physics in order to make money fast, rather then have so much investment on marketing and give the crowd a horrible example. Because the crowd doesn’t know what is real physics.

We all got a life, Second life has made others millions with virtual real estate, or virtual money.
This reality is no different from your life.

Wtf is this thread? I’m getting the impression that you think X-Plane physics are one and holy, and a gold standard for simulators?

What’s your end-game here?

8 Likes

He’s convinced X-Plane is perfect. Maybe X-Plane’s marketing was more effective on him than MSFS. Not sure why he’s complaining on these forums so much instead of playing X-Plane then.

9 Likes

Very simple, if you read clearly again, I wrote -

I would be even happier if the physics of each aircraft would be accurate as been presented in the marketing, That would make FS2020 a perfect simulator.

1 Like

Very simple, to request the developers of FS2020 to be more professional and serious about the simulator and improve the physics, rather then play around with consumer’s beliefs, and sell a marketing scheme.

2 Likes

This was the standard talk they did when they were far inferior to FS9/FSX, because it was the only thing they had on the better sims at the time. They probably showed the fancy lift visuals too on the wings while flying. MSFS has similar a system but more accurate, with a lot more wing surfaces calculated in real time. But still people remember the old “X-plane has the best aerodynamics” talk. Feature Discovery Series: Aerodynamics Part 2 - YouTube

4 Likes

Thank you for your example, but I have seen all those videos, they don’t impress me that well, if you really want to impress me, show me the glide/descent rate vs. miles of the 787? relative to the 737 in the x-plane, or look at my landing in the video, and show me yours in the fs2020, and impress me, I would love to enjoy these kind of landings in FS2020.

2 Likes

@AdherentToast91 it is fairly obvious that x-plane has become YOUR favorite simulator.

A White Paper describing the calculations used to create simulated physics does not necessarily translate into those physics accurately simulating reality. The variabilities and vagaries in the way the environment works is an ongoing study. There is a reason that some of the most powerful computers in the world are used to generate weather prediction models.

The physics of FLIGHT are pretty well understood and yet we still use wind tunnels to confirm our equations. Mating ACCURATE flight physics computations to ACCURATE environmental physics computations is a requirement if one is hoping to create an ACCURATE flight simulation. You think there are a lot of folks "LIMITED BY MAIN THREAD" now.

All we can hope for in this generation of flight simulators is a reasonably simplified fluid dynamics model combined with a simplified flight physics model. Having spent a couple hours in both simulators and real airplanes, my impression is that, unlike real airplanes, the end user can make any simulator feel the way they want by adjusting the control sensitivities until it FEELS they way THEY think a real plane should feel like. They WILL be wrong.

I have flown your beloved simulator and it does not accurately simulate flight. It gives a fairly accurate impression of flight but I am here to tell you that a 25G45 xwind is not something ANY simulator can model. Pilots with 1000s of hours in the cockpit are going to struggle. What kind of gust waveform are you trying to simulate? Is the surrounding terrain imparting a rolling effect to the wind? Does that wind have any shear effect? What is the landing weight of the aircraft? I could continue but the point is, every landing is different and many of them are difficult. Hardly a measure of a sims quality.

If an aircraft behaves in a predictable manner, within the NORMAL flight envelope, in the conditions it is placed in, then the simulator should be considered a success. If you want to compare between sims, zero ANY adjustments to control sensitivity and fly the SAME aircraft in the exact SAME conditions. Measure the numbers, not the feel.

If you are convinced that one sim is SOOO much better than the other, I suggest, go fly that one. My money is on THIS generation of technology to out perform the last generation just as then next generation of sims will make this one obsolete and we can start this thread all over again.

17 Likes

I am sorry, that you got the wrong impression, I love FS2020 very much, Why you do you think I am posting here, it’s because I want FS2020 to improve greatly.

Thank you for your long and accurate explanation, could you show me some of your landings with strong cross winds like my example of the X-Plane, it will make me very happy.

2 Likes

So I just figured out the purpose of this thread.
@AdherentToast91 is hunting for likes on the You-Tube video and accolades from pilots around the world for doing what a pilot is supposed to do, land safely.

Sorry I should have been more clear in my first post…

That landing was AMAZING! Your real world flying skills stand out. It is apparent you are an exceptional pilot that any airline would be proud to have. With mad skills like that you can write your own ticket in the aviation world.

I am convinced that I would not be able to duplicate that feat in MSFS. To begin with I am not sure I have ever flown or encountered an aircraft that rotates and pitches around a central point like that. It looks almost like its stuck on a post in a wind tunnel. Kind of like a ‘wind tunnel simulation’.

I apologize. My skill level is obviously not up to the challenge. Too bad I couldn’t make you happy.
In the event that the next generation of simulators can catch up to the quality displayed in your wind tunnel example, I will definitely give it a shot though.

20 Likes

I find it a bit ironic that users are defending MSFS current flight model or even talking about it given the recent dorked update …

Without judgement, the pre-release marketing hype has informed users to expect polish (as it was designed to do) from day one and expansions over time.

While I accept that the devs, as individuals, are enthusiastic and honest I do worry about the culture they are creating or adopting on the corporate scale.

6 Likes