More Physics, More Real Winds

That is not true. You can tweak some of the flight behavior tables and observe the changes yourself. And most of the available mods all have tweaked tables.

1 Like

Another one stating guesses as facts.

The values in the .cfg files are scalars, not lookup tables.

Unless you have a credible source to quote; stop spreading misinformation.

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more regarding the flight model. XP11 is much more realistic (and natural feeling) than FS2020. There are some very strange behaviours in FS2020, pitch effectiveness, ground effect, ground handling, damping, inertia etc. None of them really come close to resembling how much better DCS/XP11 simulate them. It’s a pity because the rest of the sim is great.

Wouldn’t entirely agree on that point. Level D sims aren’t perfect but the closest sim to replicate them would be XP11 in my opinion.

Mort, I AM a programmer, and I have personally made tweaks to the tables in the config file, and I have personally tested the change in behavior afterward.

Look at the flight_model.cfg file in any of the public mods – the files are not encrypted. You will see the tables in that file changed in any mod that claims to improve the flight behavior.

The sim DOES use the table table data. PERIOD.

What might be confusing to some is that these config files and tables are simply inputs into the core flight behavior routines. So are your joystick inputs. So is the wind. So is the current position of the control surfaces. The output of that flight behavior routine is the effect on the plane – its attitude, speed, position, etc. That core behavior affects all planes, whereas the “tuned” effect is based on the config files.

3 Likes

My previous comment was directed at Nijntje91, who himself stated he’s not a programmer.

You being a programmer however, should be able to see the difference between scalars and lookup tables.

Show me proof that the MSFS flight model pulls the values for the thousands of reference points on the wings from a lookup table, and I’ll be content.

Instead, I think you’re only looking at scalars modifying the end result of the aerodynamic calculations by a certain amount. But hey, like I’ve asked multiple times before; if you have a credible source detailing how the flight model works other than ‘I’m a programmer, and I’ve looked at a .cfg file’, I’ll be happy to go along with it.

READ THIS FULL POST ^^^^

It does a good job of putting some extra context into the picture. In 3D modeling, there are a lot of non-visible factors, and for every visible object, you have a lot of hidden data attached.

And yes, I happen to also have quite a bit of graphics, animation, and modeling knowledge and experience (Lightwave, Photoshop, AfterEffects, etc.).

I have… have you?

see point 2:
A configuration file does not preclude the use of surface dynamics.

So we have a configuration file with scalars, and yes, this does not preclude the use of surface dynamics.

So again, where is the proof that MSFS uses lookup tables?

And as far as I know lightwave, photoshop and aftereffects are great tools for creating visual eyecandy, but have little to do with fluid dynamics or aerodynamics modeling.

I’m morally opposed to water boarding!

What? You never went surfing or anything? :joy:

1 Like

that spaceframe rocket-sled is visually significantly more unsound flying than the doughnut.

I assume you don’t know there is on-going research into the use of torus (doughnut shapes) for advanced airships due to advanced characteristics of airworthiness especially at mooring condition,
and have advanced manoeuvrability especially for movement of any direction?

What did I just see, and why?

I was not acutely aware, no.

How fast are airships moving again? How do they work? Ah, by a lifting gas? You don’t say.

Not entirely relevant for this discussion I think.

As I mentioned before, nearly anything can “fly”. The question is if it flies under the conditions you want and if you can control it. That rocket sled had control and lifting surfaces and from what it seemed a solid, flat underside, which would constitute a lifting body, even if not very effective.

But yeah, keep making these comparisons.

I suppose I could put the burden of proof on you, and ask if you could prove that it doesn’t.

2 Likes

That makes 0 sense, since I’m not the one making any claims.

I go by what I see/hear from the developers. If anyone wants to make a claim that MSFS uses lookup tables, the onus is on them, not me.

2 Likes

Ah, so you can’t prove it. Thank you for clarifying your position.

You can’t claim that it doesn’t, and demand proof from others, then fail to even try when you are asked the same.

I mean, you can…

1 Like

But nowhere do they claim to use CFD of any kind.

They do however specify that they improved on the legacy flight model by increasing the number of sample points from 1 to over 1000. Not the overall principle. It’s in their videos, but it is too late here locally right now to go search for it.

of course I can’t , since I didn’t program the sim. That’s why I don’t make any claims on how it works.

Others are making claims though, without any structural proof. Which puts the onus on them.

This is basics.

2 Likes

Yes, “others”.

And yet you have numerous times, and without evidence you freely admit not having.

1 Like

Yes, all those other stating ‘MSFS uses simple lookup tables’.

Scroll up for those. I hope you’re not to lazy to scroll up, and instead expect me to quote all those posts?

No, I have not made any claims on how it works. I’m simply asking others to back up their claims.