More realistic trim

I haven’t tried this in a while but I’ve been zendesking since the first beta that trim behavior is unrealistic. Here’s what I saw happening; if you trim full up or full down, then watch your trim wheel and hold electric trim and run it to the other stop. It will start out slow, then accelerate to speed 2 and then to a faster level if you keep holding trim. It is not how an electric trim motor works; they only run at one constant speed (with few exceptions like a 737 with slow motor with flaps out and faster with flaps up - but even then, it only runs at that one defined speed, depending on the flaps state). The “multi speed” behavior of MSFS depending on how long you hold the trim switch is completely unrealistic and makes fine tuning trim, or “trim away the pressure”, impossible unless you do short bursts of trim instead of just holding the button until you’re happy with the control pressures like you do in every aircraft I’ve ever flown IRL. I don’t think this behavior has been fixed in any newer update.

2 Likes

yes this is true, so its better to setup the trim to an axis on your controller, fiddle a bit with the sensitivity, and it works well.

I’m using a CH Products flight sim yoke and my axis are set for throttle, mix, prop. And using a lever to run trim is a good workaround if you have a spare axis, but also not realistic when trim is generally a 2 position center sprung switch. They should fix the issue, not make people have to come up with workarounds. What I don’t understand is how they came up with this trim system considering they have a home cockpit, and supposedly a number of them got real life flight training. They know better - this is PPL introductory flight level operation.

Doesn’t happen on my PC. Since SU IV I definitely didn’t encounter the trim acceleration anymore.

Because trim worked that way (at least) in FSX and P3D. AFAIK it’s a windows feature.

Just re-tested. Definitely no trim acceleration on my MSFS install.

Cool. Hopefully it’s been fixed then. I’m on the road and can’t re-test at the moment. Also been flying the FBW when I was home so haven’t touched a trim switch in a while. I’ll give it another go in the Cessna when I get back.

It’s erratic, sometimes you can trim fast and reliably and another you cannot trim at all or it takes ages. It’s an issue since FS95 as I recall. But if you can trim consistently awesome for you, maybe it’s my fault or because I never owned higher-end peripheral.

On no sim I’ve ever encountered erratic trim, let alone the inability to trim.
I got used to the acceleration feature in MS sims and hence to trim in short bursts,
but that’s what you usually do IRL as well.
Trim differs a lot between different aircraft, but that’s all.

No higher end peripherals since many years. Simple button press on my T16000M.

on a flight with one of the small planes ,think DA40NG , its this way…Trim starting slow ,then accelerating to a faster level if you keep holding the trim. At one point it didn’t stop for me ,even if i released the button & pushed down to correct it,it kept accelerating down nearly crashed because of it :smiley: (I did change the buttons so pushing up is to point the nose down & down is up)
On the TMB930 trimming felt more responsive & more natural to me,so guess its as @PZL104 mentioned somewhere plane specific indeed. But how accurate the trim is for each plane is the question still .Only real pilots can comment there ,so I can’t help much there providing the feedback

Trim acceleration did affect all aircraft (except the A320 and recently the 787)

Is trim acceleration down normal if it keeps going in that direction if you press down to try to make it go up again & it is ignored & keeps accelerating downwards?

Since SU IV there is no more trim acceleration.

I don’t understand; if you press down to try to make it go up again

I followed a suggestion mapping the trim to the black button on top of the joystick,shared a pic earlier in this topic of my black widow joystick.

So up is trim down & down is trim up now for me
It seems like trim acceleration still occurs,had it on a DA40NG test flight ,but didn’t know they called it “trim acceleration” before Gorony mentioned it

Ok, press down to try to make it go up is a bit misleading.

Confirm you press trim down to make the DA40 pitch down (and vice versa)

Just tested the DA40. Definitely no trim acceleration.

Guess I’ll test it again too , it was in rather cloudy conditions it happened.Maybe the conditions matter too
Edit
Its also as @CH14R1 mentions,quite erratic

Not sure if you can go in & test it for a few mins & then say there is no trim acceleration since it happens rather rarely.I just did a flight again with the DA40 & it didnt happen during this short flight.But that doesn’t mean the acceleration wont’t happen again.Ill report again if it does happen again

No. Conditions don’t matter.

Btw. looking at the trim wheel while trimming doesn’t make sense, especially not in the DA40 where you can’t look outside if you are looking at the trim wheel.

I wouldn’t per se disregard conditions immediately, the game is a very complex layer system after all & since its experienced to be erratic for @CH14R1 ,it might mean that it is caused in certain conditions within the game/when certain conditions are met that trigger it to get stuck all the way up or down
Ill be trying more flights in different weather etc …The short flight I just tested it in was in fine weather

I’m 100% disregarding conditions.

@CH14R1 s case is the first time in a few decades that I’ve read about this strange trim problems.

Trim is a basic function and not at all complex. Straight forward like pitch control with the elevator.
Never heard or read about a stuck elevator either.

I think it depends a lot on aircraft and simmer experience and hardware. As has been said. A320 will auto trim allowing you to smoothly center back a spring centered stick which will ease your muscles a lot. I found electric trim are quite OK when mapped to the hatswitch, say with TBM.

However as a glider pilot IRL the experience was miserable for me in DG808. Same for light sport aircrafts like the VL3 915 that I love. So I programmed an addon to trim with the mouse and it is far better for me. Same for throttle, propeller.

The idea is to press fwd/back mouse buttons as if you were grabbing a lever. And the move the mouse fwd/bwd as I would do with the lever. Very intuitive, fast and sensitive for me.

You may want to try it

1 Like