Mouse Lock Mode - Windowed Mode, Mouse Still Registered in Window, even when Outside Window Bounds

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
When using Flight Simulator in Windowed mode and Mouse Interaction in Lock mode (as opposed to legacy), the mouse still interacts with cockpit elements even when the mouse is outside the Window bounds. As a result, if I move my mouse off screen to click on a task in the taskbar, this can cause undesirable things to happen in the cockpit (at best, hiding the yoke. At worst, accidentally shutting off the battery or the fuel).

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Make sure the sim is in windowed mode
  2. Make sure the mouse mode is in Lock (not Legacy)
  3. Interact with the cockpit control with the mouse outside of bounds

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:
RTX 2070 Super
Ryzen 7 3700X
1080p monitor
Sim running on 2TB SSD

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
Since Legacy Mode was a possible mouse interaction option.

I think this is how it should be? Until you click outside of the window the mouse is only functional in the game (currently active window).

This is because when you go outside of the window borders, the game considers the mouse to be stuck at the edge of the window as if the window was a physical screen. I think this is the same for all games running in DWM mode. Also “Full screen” is borderless windowed in MSFS so it’s just a window without borders and title bar.

So if you want to interact with the PC outside of the MSFS window you have to click outside of the MSFS window once so the window is not focused.

It’s not so much the fact that the mouse is still in the window bounds in the game even though the cursor in Windows is outside of the border; it’s the fact that I can still interact with cockpit elements even though my cursor isn’t in the window.

Effectively, I can move my mouse to the Taskbar to open up Discord or my browser, and clicking on the taskbar activates TOGA, or turns the battery off or something.

Ideally:

1. If the cursor leaves the window bounds, the in-game cursor should be disabled
  2. If the cursor is outside the window bounds, Left and Right mouse clicks should not register in-game
  3. When the cursor returns to the window bounds, the in-game cursor should be re-enabled where the system-level cursor is.

Yes i get what you are saying, when you move the mouse outside of the window, the cursor in the game moves along the sides of the window closest to your actual cursor. So if it moves over a hover spot in the game it will register.

But a click outside of the window won’t click the in the game correct? In the game i see it registers hover over action but i don’t see buttons being clicked?

It does, absolutely; a click on the taskbar can register a click at the bottom of the window (which is likely over the yoke to make it disappear).

See the video; I’ve disabled the Battery Master in flight by clicking outside the window bounds to bring the browser up.

1 Like

Ah i see now that could be annoying yes.

I don’t know if it’s a Windows thing or if they can fix it i hope they can.

I think this might have been addressed; I don’t think I can recreate it anymore.

Can someone else give it a shot and see what they get?

EDIT: Nevermind, it still happens if you don’t pause for a moment while moving your mouse out of window bounds.

Today is April 28th, a few days after Update 9 (IX).

There remains an issue with the mouse focus for any user with multiple screens.
Issue 1 -
The mouse still affects the camera of the sim when used in other windows apps or programs. If not clicked (selected) in another window, say vPilot or Navigraph charts the mouse wheel continues to zoom the sim eye-point as well as the intended action.
Issue 2 -
If you withdraw the mouse pointer from the sim area (Full Screen Mode) you lose any control of any HID (joystick, rudder pedals etc).

This may be a Windows issue, however MS are certainly on-board and should be able to resolve this easily I would think.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m still getting this issue.

1 Like

Yep still there and driving me nuts. Flying the Seminole and every time I click on my other monitor to use Little Nav Map or something the flipping sun visor goes up or down. Still searching for a way to stop it !

This has been a consistent issue for me as well. Annoying to accidentally hit TO/GA, AP disconnect etc when checking something else on the computer.

Yep, on the SU15 beta someone said that there is a regression and this bug is back. But this never has been fixed on any SU

1 Like