Mouse wheel no zoom?

First installed and the mouse wheel worked fine. Then shortly after it quit. I found some forums and followed the advice and got it working again. Now its stopped working again and nothing I do gets it to work. If I hold the + key and scroll it will zoom in but immediately zoom out once I let go of +.

Any ideas? Is this a bug?

Did you try to create a new mouse profile?
Perhaps it’s your mouse?

Make sure you don’t have a mouse profile, if you do revert back to default and test.

Tried to create a new mouse profile and it made no difference. Its on default and camera settings are set to default.

Humble suggestions:

• Ensure you keyboard is clean, i.e. air duster. It might be the system thinks a key (e.g. ctrl) is being held down which changes the behavior of the scrool wheel.

• check mouse properties in Windows

• It may be that your mouse has a an unusual button that changes what the scrool wheel does. If you have an extra mouse laying around, try that to see if it does the same thing.

• Depending on what brand/model of mouse you have, it may have its own config software, which you should look at for any oddities.

Good luck. -Redeye

Quite likely a bug. My keyboard and mouse freeze up, especially the wheel zoom. Is it Bluetooth?

USB wired mouse. Brand new keyboard, mouse is about 5 months old, EVGA brand. The scroll works for all other functions in game like menus. The scroll also works in games like FSX, P3D, and DCS. Just not MSFS. The external scroll works now, but it wont hold the zoom once I release. Still no cockpit zoom.

My bet is a bug.

go to your general options → camera. Change zoom mode to manual. And make sure your mouse control profile is default.

3 Likes

I also developed this issue recently (SU9) My Camera Zoom was already manual.

Fustrated by this, I “bit the bullet”, and just reset all the Camera Options to DEFAULT.

That fixed it – back to normal where I can both zoom nd move about with the mouse.
(The move about and alter views was what really stopped working).

Now its FIXED, and “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it more” but now it Niggle me to wonder what changed – pretty sure it was not an intentional change by me.

Anyone any ideas ?

well, updates are notorious for that. It becomes my own best practice that whenever there is a Sim Update being released, I go ahead and reset all settings to default and reconfigure things again. That’s how I usually avoid any problems before they happen.

1 Like

Can you explain what you mean by all camera options? I already have the default mouse profile on and camera settings have been reset to default in the general options. Is there more somewhere?

Try a differennt mouse.
Then:
Does it make any difference?

Tried another mouse, no difference.

Strange…Is there any mouse software installed outside of msfs?
Have you tried a different usb port for the mouse.

No mouse software. Scroll works everywhere else. If I hold the + key on the keyboard and use the wheel it will zoom but once I let go of the + key it zooms back out. + key will not zoom by itself even though it is mapped default on the keyboard to zoom in. Cockpit view or external view.

I wonder if your cockpit interaction is affecting it. Try changing between Lock and Legacy cockpit interactions?

Just want to make sure you are using the default mapping to test?

Default everything.

I’ll fire it up and check the lock and legacy mode. Pretty sure its on legacy.

It was on legacy, tried lock, no change. If I scroll my wheel really fast you can see it trying to zoom but it just wont and goes back out.

Found the stupid issue. My throttle had a zoom functioned mapped to a slider and when the slider was at its neutral position it acted like it was actively zooming out. Erased and everything now works perfect. What a headache.

1 Like