Move from official to community

Is it possible to move content from the official folder to the community folder due to disk-space.
And what would be the possible problems by doing that?

I do not think so, especially if your community folder and official folder are on different drives. Another thing MSFS2020 is going to look for those folders in that location and not find them and most probably will want to download them again. It’s all about the registry…

:thinking:

2 Likes

I was thinking along similar lines, moving out some of the marketplace content to reduce loading times and managing it with a tool like the Addons Linker. (using symbolic links to restore the content when needed).
This idea may not work at present because the loader will try to reinstall the missing files. Perhaps a 3rd status of content (UnInstalled, Installed, Archived) would be the way to go.
The workaround might be to copy out the marketplace items (like 3rd party aircraft and scenery), then delete them with marketplace (so they don’t get reinstalled). When you want those items again, just copy them back into the Official folder (or set up a symbolic link) and they should be picked up by the sim without using the marketplace to reinstall them.
Edit: It looks like the Addons Linker may already have this feature (Look under Options/Advanced)

Let’s try, will inform you later

Another workaround: if these loooong loading time bothers you, just remove it all… it will switch to Owned. Then, whenever you go in, you re-install what you need (or where you want to go, aircraft you want to fly)

If it is a well-behaved addin, it won’t download again, install quickly.

The other question… moving stuff to Community… I never tried, but I wonder if it works, because the internal scenery and aircraft are encoded. Some things you can do in Community (ini files etc) you won’t be able to do with MSFS default content.

Well I tried.

1. Copied microsoft-iberia-point-of-interest to the community-folder
  2. Disabled microsoft-iberia-point-of-interest in the community-folder
  3. Started MSFS 2020 and deleted Iberia POI’s in content manager
  4. Closed MSFS 2020
  5. Enabled microsoft-iberia-point-of-interest in the community-folder
  6. Started MSFS 2020 and did a check in Barcelona

Everything worked out great, no significant chance in start-up times and more than 10Gb won on my C: drive. So now I’ve only to enable microsoft-iberia-point-of-interest in the community folder when I’m flying in Spain

as others have determined the Official folder uses the same ‘addons’ format we use for mods
so ‘on the surface’ it would seem this should and does work but …

there are some differences between Official and Community, im not for certain what all they may be tbh, but the one i do know is they are loaded in a diff order
by that i mean each type of addon is loaded in order - say Core first, then Scenery, the w/e but here is where moving them may get you in trouble
the Official folder loads addons First in Order Then the Community starts the same list over from there

and of course the other concern is updates, not sure how that would handle a symlink
personally i would not suggest moving Official folder content even tho i have no specific known reason not to

1 Like

Take a look at the Addons Linker tool. (Look under Options/Advanced) It will do it for you in a much more elegant way using symbolic links (so relocated files will be updated seemlessly if MSFS does an update). BTW, for 3rd party addons in the Official folder, you may not need to get Marketplace to delete them. It seems that the loader only checks for Asobo and some of the Microsoft content. Cheers

Yes, I would probably only attempt this if was desperate for space (I have installed MSFS on an SSD)

thats not entirely correct, the loader or installer checks all installed content, but it only lists 3rd party content in the Content Manager, those are just not part of the mandatory update system
even 3rd party Community mods are parsed (why they Always suggest removing them for updates)

I guess that’s what I meant to say, that the 3rd Party content and some other specific content is not mandatory and you wont be prompted to reinstall if you remove them.

true enough, just dont forget and use update all in the CM :stuck_out_tongue:
you could end up with duplicates and trouble that way

Yes Indeed

Did you know you can move both the Official One Store and the Community Folder (must be both - move the packages folder they are in) to any spot you want?
You just need to edit the UserCfg.opt file to indicate where you put them.

1 Like
How to move MSFS from old hard drive or partition to new SSD or partition - MS Store ver.

1 create new folder named MSFS 2020 on for e.g. D drive // D=new SSD
2 copy Official and Community folders from
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages
and paste to D:\MSFS 2020
3 after that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache
4 in notepad open file named userconfig.opt
scroll down to the bottom and edit last line
e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages"

// Packages is root game folder
// D = new SSD

change
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages"

to for e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "D:\MSFS 2020"

save changes

After that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official
delete all files and folders

Go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
Delete all files and folders

How to move MSFS from old hard drive or partition to new SSD or partition - Steam ver.

1 create new folder named MSFS 2020 on for e.g. D drive // D=new SSD
2 copy root_game_folder Packages from
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator
to D:\MSFS 2020
3 after that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator
4 in notepad open file named userconfig.opt
scroll down to the bottom and edit last line
e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages"

// Packages is root game folder
// D = new SSD

change
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages"

to for e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "D:\MSFS 2020\Packages"

save changes

After that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight\Packages\Official
delete all files and folders

Go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight\Packages\Community
Delete all files and folders

source https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-pc-msfs-query/419855/12

Just be aware of this update to the poi Iberia.
Iberia POI 1.0.1

Thank you for the update on the update

1 Like

Yes but I only want to move a part of it because of ssd and hdd.
But it works, only I have to look at is updates on standard packages

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.