Moved to HP Reverb G2 from a Quest2

You convinced me to give it a try. Just ordered the G2. Although, I don’t think it’ll be revision 2 since I’m in Canada. But I can always return it if I don’t like it. I’m eager to see how the performance compares to the Quest 2.

That pretty much was my same thoughts. I just wasn’t willing to spend an extra £200 or so for a marginally better headset. I’d prefer something much better if I was upgrading. I don’t think anything much better is going to come along in that price bracket for a little while though. I suspect there won’t be a G3 for at least another 18 months at this point.

There’s other reasons I want a G2. Mainly I find the Quest 2 just a total faff getting optimised and set up. Plus possibly the biggest reason is I want out of the Facebook ecosystem. I’d love to delete my Facebook account and the whole business of the Quest 2 being tied to it isn’t great.

I like the quality of the G2 and really enjoy VR flying. If there is one thing that is a pain, it’s all the wiring. I use a laptop in multiple locations so the rat’s nest of cable and boxes is probably amplified and more annoying than you would have with a desktop where the cables and associated boxes can be somewhat organized.

Pretty much decided to order up a G2 to replace my Quest 2. If I’m only using it for FS in the first instance am I right in thinking I don’t need to get a headset with controllers?

Interesting info but too late as far as I’m concerned. I’ve just ordered a G2 and I’ll stick my Quest 2 on ebay.

Rebranding does not mean that Oculus… -sorry Facebook… -sorry… Meta will wonderfully stop collecting data. And for shure you will need a “Meta” account for your “Meta” Quest.

Probably. Either way it doesn’t bother me. I do not have anything to hide.

Correct, controllers are useless for msfs 2020

1 Like

So whats the deal with wider field of view face gaskets for the G2? Am I right in thinking if I’ve just bought a G2 it should come with the newer design face gasket out of the box? Or should I consider buying one from ebay for my new headset? I see there are quite a few aftermarket ones for sale that people have had 3D printed.

I believe they are being added in a couple of weeks time so you might want to wait and see

1 Like

There is no new “official” design, but I can recommend that you try out one of those alternative gaskets (as long as you don’t plan on wearing glasses). For me, it increases fov noticably. But the perceived difference is quite individual, so you should not expect miracles.

1 Like

Excellent thanks. Is there any particular face gasket you recommend? I don’t need to wear glasses for VR.

Getting my G2 delivered tomorrow so quite excited.

I got this one:

It works well, really brings you as close as possible to the lenses and thus increases the FOV. For my face form it might be in fact a tiny bit too close because I have to take care that I don’t touch the lenses especially when putting on and off the headset. Finding the sweet spot feels easier for me with the new gasket and the region of highest sharpness is a bit bigger (quite important, you will notice a significant difference with the G2 compared to the Quest 2).

The foam ring on the gasket is much thinner than in the original one and feels more “leathery”. I personally liked the feel original one better. It is replaceable (but you cannot use the original one as this is glued to the original gasket).

1 Like

I had the Q2 then purchased the G2. I’m keeping Q2 for the wireless freedom and playing games like Richies Plank with friends at parties, watching movies in bed etc…
The G2 is much clearer but I get stutters as I pan around. HP even replaced my headset only to have same issue. I have intel processor so HP didn’t want to ship new V2 cable. I persisted with second call of frustration, had to tell them I will use it in my amd laptop. Back order could take 2 months. So far, I’m not too impressed with G2.
(i7-10700, RTX3080, 32G)

I have the exactly the same spec as you and spend most of my time struggling to get a decent or ok setup with my quest 2
I read somewhere the g2 is problematic with amd processors or was that in the early days

I’m so tempted to get one and just fly for a change with out spending hrs getting it to run and 30 mins flying

My G2 is getting delivered today or tomorrow so I’ll let you know whether its a worthwhile upgrade. The only hardware issue I’ve ever heard about is with AMD GPU’s. No idea whether its still the case but from what I can see Nvidia just seem better optimised for VR generally. Someone earlier in this thread says its running great on his AMD GPU so maybe things have improved.

I got a decent price selling my Quest 2 on ebay so I’ve only had to fork out £200 extra for my G2. If it is indeed a noticeably better and smoother experience with the sim then it’ll be £200 well spent.

Thats always been a major issue of mine right from day one with the Quest 2. Just way too much faffing about to not much time actually flying in VR ratio. Like I said in an early post though its the performance I care about the most. If I can run slightly higher and more stable frame rates with the G2 then thats all I care about. The better colours, sharpness and FOV is an extra bonus.

I never really go the most out of my Quest 2. I tried to use it for the sim but I hardly touched other games with it and didn’t really bother with the virtual cinema thing. I find VR gaming in general a bit of a funny thing. Something like flight sim I can totally see the potential and sense of immersion but with other types of games I’m so used to gaming on a TV or monitor. I think I just prefer traditional 2D gaming which is why I’m still happy to enjoy the sim on a big monitor.

1 Like

Thanks will be nice to know but I’m sure it’s a better bit of fit for fs2020 but I do use the quest 2 with the kids too so mine would be a whole purchase as I would keep the quest 2 for that

And haven’t hp just brought out a revamped one but only US

I’m just keep thinking of holding back as next year I’m sure new devices to come next year like the new pimax but then gain it won’t be the price of a g2 though

They have yeah. Its got better controller tracking. It also comes with the new cable that works better with AMD systems (I think that cable now comes with all G2’s shipping globally now) and it also comes with a reworked face gasket so you no longer have to spend £30 on an aftermarket one to increase the FOV.

It does look like there are a few good headsets on the horizon. The tech is moving very quickly. The G2 does sit in a sweet spot of great performance versus being relatively affordable. As far as I can see it doesn’t have a whole lot of competition in that price range, other than Oculus of course.

I’m running an i7 9700, 3060ti and 16 gig ram. How well would the G2 run with this rig? Also, any issues wearing glasses?