MS Store -Explanation why it fails so many times

I am thinking the same thing. Do you have to pay again on steam? or can port over the license bought from MS Store?

Never encountered that issues. Works perfectly fine for me.
Maybe different accounts for System and User?
It would be great if you could avoid absolute statements, next time may try something like “in my experience”.
MS Store or Gamepass are mature plattform with millions of users, so i don’t think them all have your problem. Probably user error :blue_heart:

What function does the XBox app and companion app serve in relation to MSFS? I do not have either app installed on my computer. I am signed in with the MS Store, and MSFS itself, and it has always worked with no problem - both for regular game play, and for updates.

I paid for a new one, including a Carenado P44.

1 Like

I have the same issue at least once a week. My fix is a little more streamlined than your process. When I get routed to the dreaded MS Store Gaming Service page I just close that and go to the windows 10 Services page and scroll down to Gaming Services. I have 2 entries for some odd reason but one is Automatic and one is Automatic (Trigger Start) The Triggered Start is not running every time I have the issue. I just start that service and redo MSFS2020 start and it comes up fine then.

Yesterday I gave up with the monthly game pass and switched to Steam where I bought the Sim full price. Too many issue from September when I bought the gamepass.
Yesterday it was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I tried for the first time to uninstall a game, and the place on my SSD didn’t change. I spent an hour to try all I can to retrieve my space, reboot, cleaning temp files, etc. and due to the overprotected directories system they have I wasn’t able to proceed. I had to change Rights of them to access, and even deleting the game directory didn’t give me back all my space. Then, for trying I uninstalled another game installed on another HDD, and same thing. You can’t even know where your game is installed on the GUI if you don’t remember on which drive you installed it, no way, I didn’t find, and I had finally to format my SSD.
With this MS Store, you can’t install a simple redshade if you want to enhance a game, or add a mod, no way. Each time I launch it, it display new games on the left bar I never installed, and propose “to re-install it”, what a joke. When MSFS need an update, you have first to update the MS Store, and then the Xbox side, pffiiuuu

No no they have to grow, but without me. I uninstalled all XBox stuffs.

Tried that as well but gaming service net wont restart for some reason. Only solution is a PC restart.
Shouldnt have to do all these fixes just to start a game just because its connected to the store.

I did the same, unfortunately I paid full price for the deluxe premium and the carenado p44, but it was all worth. I will never purchase anything from MSstore again, it is a complete disaster.

1 Like

If you had already paid the full sim in MS Store (I was lucky to only have the monthly payment) You could have possibly claim for a redeem Steam key to Asobo, some devs accept this as I already did it between Oculus Store and Steam and vice-versa. Not all game studio accept, but some yes (if Microsoft allow it too in your case).

I had install issues, issues getting deluxe content & launch issues on MS Store. I claimed a refund on my MS Store version, which was refunded immediately. I then purchased it on Steam instead. It installed without any hassles on Steam and was up and running in no time.

I’ve never been a fan of the MS Store, it’s quite temperamental and its proprietary methods are heavy on rules/processes. I suppose Steam is too, but its more dependable in my experience.

Steam has also been at it for 20 years and have more or less perfected it. They’ve gone through their pains and have matured nicely.

Until up to a couple of years ago, I couldn’t even get the MS Store to work right for the most. They’re still a raging dumpster fire as far as I’m concerned. I utterly refuse to use it under any circumstance.

2 Likes

Interesting. Did you buy the sim from the MS Store online? I’ve also had issues with Xbox Gaming service so am thinking of purchasing from Steam to mitigate Xbox App/MS Store issues. But you’re saying you don’t need the Xbox app to launch MSFS?

Yes, I purchased from the MS store. I do not have the X-Box app. When I purchased the game, the MS Store downloaded it to my computer, and put an icon on the desktop to launch it. On first run, I had to enter my MS user credentials to log into the server to download and install the rest of the content. I did that once (logging in) back in August when the sim came out, and have never had to do it since.

If you are using something like Game Pass, perhaps that is a different matter. I did a full purchase of the sim through the store.

On another thread I saw you mention that you were getting a BSOD in conjunction with MSFS or the X-Box app. While there may be something mis configured in the app that triggers it, a BSOD almost always points to a hardware problem on your computer. It could be any number of things - an unstable CPU or memory overclock or GPU issue, a corrupt device driver, a power supply problem etc.

A BSOD will always give a text message with the specific fault that caused it. It would be helpful to know what the message is.

Okay thanks for the thorough reply. I might follow what you did - buy from MS Store and delete the Xbox app.

Yes there must be more going on with hardware. I will look at some of the other guides on here about avoiding CTD issues and such.

You are right that there is a message that comes up with BSOD, but I haven’t been able to find any specific help on it on the MS support pages. Message is “INVALID_MDL_RANGE”. Please let me know if that means anything to you.

And thanks again for your help.

That error usually indicates a corrupt device driver.

Here is a Microsoft help page on troubleshooting BSOD problems:

1 Like

Thank you. I am going to go over that, and also go back and check all my mobo drivers, etc.

I use this simple free tool when it happen Bluescreenview:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

1 Like

Thanks for this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.