MSFS 2020 and stutters

Good to hear! Surprisingly, I did a similar thing, I just put everything to defaults and the result is butterly smooth flights. I have a rolling cache set at 8GB, I will try later to turn it off. Happy flying!

1 Like

Might try that one out, the strange thing is that sometimes I do get stutters at a certain moment and then a few hours later everything runs smoothly. I wonder if that could also be related to the demand put on the internet connection and thus the speed of that internet connection. I sometimes notice a slightly worse smoothness when making curves, I already had that problem in FSX, and after having installed an airport environment, like for instance Peretola LIRQ which is next to the photogrammetric town of Florence, the performance is less than before the installation. It’s a work in progress.

Cheers, Marc

Performance has gone stuttery since I installed this latest Feb 9 updates for Win 10. Wonder what’s up?

I’m just thinking out loud here regarding the rolling cache.

By default this appears to be placed on the system drive (C:)

The system drive there will also have other activity taking place there during normal as well as gaming operations. - including the page file.

Like many things SSD’s get warmer while in use and their performance throttles the hotter they get (and a lot of peoples nvme drives may also be sitting quite close to GPU’s kicking out a lot of heat under load)

Throw all of this together and you have a cache of scenery that the system is trying to access off one drive that it is also accessing for other things. Perhaps the rolling cache will work better on a completely different drive?

There will be arguments made about the CPU in this thread.
Yes, We would all love the newest and greatest CPU and we wait to see what Intel release next, because the truth is there really isn’t that much difference between an 8086k and a 10600k in actual capability. These incremental advances that Intel made between chips for so many years is the very reason they are getting a well deserved kicking by AMD.
As for the CPU’s currently available. AMD currently outperforms Intel, their IPC improvements in the latest Ryzens are great…but I have seen folks post in these very foums about struggling with them too.

1 Like

I have my MSFS AND the rolling cache on a D:\ drive, SSD, Samsung 860 PRO.
Still not clear? No matter what we do, it just stutters.

1 Like

One item rarely mentioned is Windows 10. It is over 5 years old and even with updates, it is still a clunky desktop system that can operate on wide variety of hardware designed to run multiple programs at the same time for a “rich” user experience. The NTFS file system is even older. The MSFS will always have to compete with everything else running on a PC.

I’m guessing that the MSFS Xbox version will perform better in some ways than the PC version. It will be running on the latest and greatest Xbox hardware and MS will be able to significantly optimize everything for gaming in general and MSFS in particular. This is one of the reasons why gaming systems are popular.

Ultimately MSFS needs its own real-time operating system, one that gives MSFS all the computer resources all the time.

1 Like

Or…
They will dumb it down to make a console capable of running it.

I disagree. A half a dozen games and DCS perform perfectly in my system, fluid and flawless, as stated and proved again and again.
It is not a problem of Windows 10, but rather of the faulty graphics engine of MSFS.
I am really surprised it is still not clear…

4 Likes

@CptLucky8
The sentence is completed.

I am surprised that it is still not clear that Windows is a general purpose operating system designed to run in many different environments a wide variety of programs and applications including games and simulations. It is not a gaming operating system and has never claimed to be.

Just because other games’ graphics run better (faster?) than MSFS is not a good argument for stating that MSFS has a faulty graphics engine. MSFS is very different, much more complex, than all other games and simulators. “Different” doesn’t mean better or worse or faulty or perfect.

To demonstrate the limitations of Windows 10, start a flight in MSFS. Then use Task Manager to change the priority of MSFS to “realtime”. Return to MSFS to see if there is any difference. Using “realtime” for MSFS is not a fix or workaround because other applications might be negatively impacted.

I obviously don’t agree.
Although the landscape is less detailed in DCS, the airplanes
(remember we are talking about a FLIGHT simulator) are FAR
more detailed and complex. DCS runs smoothly, MSFS does not.
On the same rig with similar settings. Just have a look at my video.

1 Like

I just wanted to say thank you to whoever suggested moving the rolling cache to another drive. I moved mine to another drive - an HDD, (Not SSD even!) and my experience is far smoother, less stutters, so - thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol i know this is an old answer but was reading this thread and could not resist to reply.

Any game that needs you to do al those things to run smoothly is a failure. I’m happy to see that you don’t encounter any stutters (me neither btw) but those things you mentioned are not the reason for that.

Modern hardware has no problem with dealing with those while playing a game. With a good gpu like op’s rtx3080 and an 19 10900k all those other apps don’t do anything.

I have msfs installed on my workstation pc where i mostly use blender/unrealengine/vray. I also only have 1 single ssd (nvme 2gb) and it’s filled up more then halfway with software. I also have installed multiple other games.

In the background i have epic launcher running, oculus software (automatically opens when using unreal editor) kraken surround sound software. Outlook. Multiple open browser tabs. Sometimes even complete 3d files in blender (interior architecture so big files) photoshop etc etc. (I like to play games between work and don’t want to close everything for 30 mins only to start everything up again when done)

Gues what? In the evening or weekend when all those apps aren’t running i get exactely the same performace as when everything is running.

Msfs is poorly optimized. The same as with any other flight simularor. Lot’s of modern software however is not taking up alot of cpu/gpu/ram when not being worked on. Ofcourse when i start rendering in blender on the gpu it would be a different story. But with a rtx3090 and a i9 10900k you can run 100’s of apps and still play games without even noticing.

But hey, defend msfs all you want but your ‘solution’ doesn’t make sence in modern gaming era.

Btw, msfs also doesn’t utilize dx12. Still only uses one single cpu core for most of the time and gpu usage barely touches 90% (rtx3090)

It’s just a rushed game put on the market to early knowing fs enthousiast probably be satisfied with 30fps no matter how expensive their pc cost. I mean, they’re happy to pay 50-60 euros for one single plane addon so… Kinda easy target to exploit right?

Still love the game though. But definately not good enough to spend more money on for now

4 Likes

Well, THANK YOU VERY MUCH…
It seems that there still are reasonable people out there…

I heartedly agree with your statements:

“Any game that needs you to do al those things to run smoothly is a failure” . Great!
“It’s just a rushed game”…
“Msfs is poorly optimized.”.

I lees agree with this:

"Msfs is poorly optimized. “The same as with any other flight simularor”
Well, this latter statement does not apply at all to DCS. Runs smooth as silk no matter what.
(See my video).
“Still love the game though”
Not really, the stutters and jerkyness completely kill the immersion for me.
(My specs somewhere above in this thread)

I agree about dcs. I was refering to p3d/fsx xplane.

I enjoi it though, but as i said i don’t experience too much stutters. The only thing that really bothers me is the difference in performance between ga planes and airliners.

But as usual, it’s easy to blame all this to the ‘super advanced modern state of the art’ physics.

Look at iracing or acc phycics. Trust me, these are just as in depth or advanced (or maybe even more) then msfsf. (Tire simulation with tire flex, air pressures, aerodynamics, grip levels, weather, suspension… Oh and all real time adjustable by the way) And they run 140+fps (i know it’s only a race track instead of the whole world, but that’s not a physics thing is it?)

So yeah… Performance wise, it’s not that good.

I agree. In practice, physics and the core simulation code accounts for only 10%. The bulk is graphics (not just taxing GPU but CPU as well because of streaming data from RAM to VRAM, preparing this data, waiting on fences for sync purposes etc…) Any claim of “low fps because a complex airliner” means either the graphics coding is really badly done, or the system computation is taking unnecessary amount of time.

1 Like

Indeed… Also p3d / fsx / xplane are not worth of the title “Flight simulator”…
I have tried extensively them all, but they are at best arcade games.
All your statements are right on the money!
Though you “don’t experience too much stutters” well, Asobo, that is not good enough!
How did Eagle Dynamics, a hugely smaller company, (and most importantly,
without the backing of the mighty Microsoft) achieve a far better result
(flight simulator wise) than you?

well, i don’t agree with you about them being arcade games. I.m.o. a simulator is just a game/software where the intention is to simulate something (flight) as good as they can within their budget, knowladge etc. An arcade would be just a game purely focussed on being fun without needing it to be realistic. So in that case, all you mentioned are simulators. (they can be bad or good simulators though).

Let’s just all agree to call it a “Simulation Video Game.” :grin:

That way it’s not “just a game,” but it’s also not really a “simulator.”

I think its always been called a simulation game… because that’s what it is.