MSFS 2020 Crash in VR - HP Reverb G2

I have the game installed on other drives.
I have 2 old 128GB SSDs reused from previous PCs, and one brand new high capacity 2TB Samsung QLC drive. All of them are Sata.
c:/ windows and vmemory - old SSD
e:/ MSFS caches and vmemory - old SSD
s:/ game data - Samsung QLC

I also bought more ram to get up to 32GB ram. The game is stable now. I haven’t had any CTDs since the upgrade and Vmem settings
The longest flight I’ve done was 2hrs though.

1 Like

Anyone had luck with the latest patch??
Just played for 2h straight with no issue, than… CTD
I just want to cry alone in a dark corner.

1 Like

I just did the EGLC > LFBO > GMMX flight again with which I had the CTD.
I increased the virtual memory from 32 to 48GB

Like yesterday, I had an image that got stuck with black frames when I moved my head over an area of ​​England.
On the other hand, when I passed over the zone, in France, where I had had the CTD, everything went well.

About 5 minutes from GMMX the G2 screen went black and the GPU fans stopped. I thought about CTD, but actually no, MSFS was still running in 2D.
Before relaunching VR, I saw in Event Viewer that this switch from VR to 2D was caused by a crash of RTSS.exe (RivaTuner) that I thought I uninstalled.
So I relaunched the VR flight, until landing, i.e. after about 5 hours of flight.
I wanted to taxi to the airport, and there …
50 meters before arriving at the foot of the footbridge, the CTD erreur VCRUNTIME140.dll
What can we say, apart from 50 meters away, everything could have been positive. But hey 5 hours is already not bad.

1 Like

I have just been flying various GA aircraft for about two hours total after today’s update, after increasing the page file to 32 GB on all drives; no crashes or even any stutters, just one instance of that annoying grey-out bug, where the image in the headset goes darker on a new flight. I had to restart the sim to correct that.

I couldn’t get my rig to run with 64GB of ram, as one module didn’t want to play nice with the others, so I’m still on 32GB.

The only significant error I got in Event Viewer was this one with the game bar, which is not important.

“Application (“C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay_5.521.3121.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\GameBarFTServer.exe” -Embedding) (PID: 1908) has failed to complete a COM/RPC call because of an invalid message from server. User Action Try the operation again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.”

I tested FIMP with JMB VL3 yesterday after updating to the new Sim version. FPS improved, but it crashed again after some minutes.
The new WMR version didn‘t change anything, it’s the same with the Headset Firmware (Audio Bug). Nothing helps.

After that I flew 2h with A320 without VR - no issues.

It’s related to the Xbox Game Bar.
In Parameter> Game I disabled everything, I saw that on a tutorial. I have a Steam version

I just said that the new WMR update is going to wait.

Don’t know what you mean. The WMR update was released on 24.03. via Windows Update.
You find it in „recently updated“.
No need to install it manually via the Microsoft development website.

1 Like

So that doesn’t solve the CTD problem, because since 03/23/2021 I’ve had a whole collection of them.

Exactly, I didn’t‘ know anything about the update before yesterday. I had it already installed since 24.03. and got the normal amount of CTD within the last days.

I have 64GB of DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengence installed and set my pagefile to 96000 - 196000 and I stillg et CTD’s so I think it’s not the RAM size. Or at least not in my case… Who knows.

So after my last post where I thought I’d have found a sollution I still get CTD’s pretty regulary.
I have no found one thing that works 100%. I use my Oculus Rift S and no CTD’s at all. I know that was mean to rite it like this :smiley:

So my opinion is there is a problem on the HP reverb G2 side and I don’t feel like troubleshooting any more. I will wait until next Updates (Sim, World, Driver, whatever) and try in a few weeks again. It’s a bit of a downgrade resollution wise but at least I get to close MSFS now (feels weird since I haven’t closed the Programm for quite some time).

I’ll keep reading this if you have any queations or want me to test something.

Same issue here my friend. Installed the patch. Before that, I tried doing most of the solutions suggested here by others. Tried doing a flight with the Just Flight Piper Arrow III from San Diego up to Monterey in VR. I got about 1 hour into the flight and, boom! CTD with the beautiful AMD driver timeout pop up. Feels so nice to spend 5 grand on a computer for FS and not be able to play it.

1 Like

Same for me. Bought new computer (AMD CPU, 6800XT GPU), invest more than 3k to get FSMS 2020 with VR and? Crashes, all the time. I am frustrated and don’t know when it will be solved. :frowning:

1 Like

Have you tried all these solutions ?

If that didn’t work for me, maybe someone else works.
For memory:
I got a decrease in CTDs by installing the English (US) language
And by increasing the virtual memory from 16GB to 48GB

I would add that you have to close all the applications that are running in the background, which can cause CTDs, because they can start for example to make an update.
On my last flight, I didn’t have a CTD during the flight, but RTSS.exe (RivaTuner) (Installed with MSI Afterburner) made me switch from VR to 2D. But it would cause a CTD.
I already had CTD because the Bluesoleil software (Bluetooth device management) which wanted to update.
For ÉnormeMercure163 it is GameBarFTServer.exe (Xbox Game Bar) which created a CTD for it.

You should only have what is absolutely necessary for the functioning of MSFS.

When you think you are on the right track to put an end to those CTD *******, another problem arises.
I had a CTD after 15 minutes of flight. MSFS crashed in Event Viewer, but just before that there were several warning messages, with “Audio Orchestrator microphone audio masking set to 0”

Same problem here with the exploding diamonds when I enable VR. I still have X-Plane 11 on my PC and VR works great with no issues when using the G2.

Same problem here with the exploding diamonds when I enable VR. I still have X-Plane 11 on my PC and VR works great with no issues when using the G2.

First thing to check is to make sure you have at least 64GB of total memory Physical + Virtual. seems like since 1.14.5.0 the game has started using way more memory.

64GB RAM + Virtual Memory, it is not enough, I had to increase the virtual memory to 48GB to have 80GB, with my 32GB of RAM, to have an improvement of the CTDs.

If I run the HB Rebrev G2 with an RX 6800 XT, I also have a GTX 1080 TI.
I tested it with the G2, with the default settings, no problem.
What do you have as settings in OpenXR and in MSFS?

I commonly had this warning before crashes as well, often multiple warnings switching between being set to 0 or 1.

@SirBloke The sound of the G2 works with you, because with me, it never worked.
It appeared in the sound manager, but disabled. And when I wanted to turn it on, it would turn off right away.
So, I don’t know if it comes from there, but I came to do a new installation of Windows 10 on a hard drive. Now the sound is working, but I haven’t done a long enough flight yet, to be able to tell if this “Audio Orchestrator microphone audio masking set to 0” issue is resolved.

EDTION: I forgot that I had read that CTDs could also be caused by a setting in the sounds of MSFS.

Voice syntesis parameter, You must switch Azur to Deactivate

Same, I did not fly long enough to validate.
This issue is 6 months old, I don’t know if an update has since fixed it.