MSFS 2020 Crash in VR - HP Reverb G2

I’ve gone back and Forward a bit with the Beta but the HP has a uch better resolution and now it seems I can’t really go back. But thanks.

I did try a few things now from this thread. Not sure witch one helped now.

• I’ve turned of the engery saving for all USB ports.
  • I’ve resised the pagefile to 1,5x -3.0x the RAM size <<edit: Looks like this did not have an impact.>>
  • I’ve started Flight Simutlator as an Administrator. <<edit: So I didn’t start MSFS as Admin and didn’t have any crashes>>

And did a flight for about one hour without any issues.

Lets see if I can narrow it down but it seems to have worked.

Edit: So in the End it looks like the Energy setting of the USB hubs was the reason for the crashes. Since I had the Option disabled I didn’t have any crashes.
I need ot be careful though. Every time I change a USB port I need to check this setting.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I have disabled the USB Energy savings and will see if that fixes the problem I have been having the exact same issue as you with almost the identical hardware setup as you.

My Setup:
Ryzen 9 5950x
AMD Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800XT
ASUS TUF gaming B550-PLUS
32GB Corsair
HP Reverb G2

I’m curious as to how your framerates are in MSFS with VR? What are your VR display settings and OpenXR settings if you don’t mind sharing? I’m also wondering if I should increase my ram to 64GB like you.

I’ll try to give some Settings and framerates but it really is a work in progress. Usually i change them back an forward depending on where I fly. Turn them up in Bush flying and down if I fly in big cities…

But I would say that 32GB is well enough 64GB will probably not change anything. I never get above 20 - 25GB of usage. And I run a lot in the background. I just bought the 64GB since I build a new system but right now it doesn’t pay of in MSFS.

I have the same issue as you. Ryzen 7 5800x, AMD 6800XT (21.2.2 drivers), ASUS X-570F, 32GB RAM, G2.
As I have plugged the G2 direct to my GPU, I have to check were to switch off the energy saving - but I am wondering, why not other VR games having issue when I play 1 or 2 hours. :thinking:

I will try to start MSFS not in Admin mode - maybe this will help - could be a good tipp!

Just tried again and had not crash flying about 1 hour.
Here are my settings. Flying in moderate populated areas I get between 36FPS and 42FPS

1 Like

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 6800 XT
RAM 32GO 3200MHz
HP Reverb G2

I played for over a month with the Oculus Rift CV1 without having the slightest problem. I had made an A320 flight from LFBO to LEMD without any problem. Whereas since I have the HP Reverb G2 I return to the desktop after 15 or 30 minutes.

I will test by disabling the energy saving option of the USB ports, we’ll see.
Still, on my MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus the HP Reverb G2 is only recognized on a single USB 3 port, if I connect it to the next USB port, it is not recognized.

I wonder if THE solution might not be to mount a
USB 3.0 PCIE Card

I have the same GPU as you, but I don’t see any USB port on the back of mine. Where is it located?

Prior to the last update, I had no issues with my HP G2. Now after loading up the flight and enabling VR, I’m getting some serious flickering, and the headset switches back to the WMR screen. I’ve re-installed WMR, Updated Windows 10 and the Nvidia drivers for my 1080 TI with no luck. The G2 works fine with X-Plane 11!

1 Like

It looks like it’s not only your probem and help is on the way.

Seems like there will be a BIOS update for AMD 5000 systems that fixes the USB connectivity issues.

2 Likes

Some - not all - GPU have now a USB-C output on the Rear right next to the Video output ports.

You reassure me a little, to see that they are in the know. But the problem is that people with Intel motherboards are also affected by crashes with their HP Reverb G2 connected to an AMD GPU.

Hi Yeah I’m having crashes also after RTX 2070 upgrade to Rx6800xt with an Intel Mobo 32GB Ram my card has USB C onboard and I’m still having crashes… I really think its a driver related issue

1 Like

My 2080ti has a usb-c but lately VR has been very unstable with the reverb g2. It is smooth but random CTDs happen quite often after the update.

After having a few stable days I have even more crashes now. Out of ideas now. Many crashes even on the loading page. Or then during flights. I can probably finish 1 in 5 Flights on average. And it takes 3 trys to get the flight going on average.
Right now I consider the Games not usable. Wainting for more updates…

No Idea how to prceed.

Yesterday, when I had never thought of it before, I went to have a look at the Windows event observer. (Control Panel “Detailed View” Administration Tool/ Event Observer >Windows Logs > Applications > In the search list with date and time Red Round crashes!)
Each time MSFS crashes, it appears: Failed module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll

I did a search for this VCRUNTIME140.dll there are 48 topics, and tons of messages, all of which talk about a crash or CTD problem. The first date of October 2020. It’s mid-March 2021, and we still have CTD crashes because of this VCRUNTIME140.dll

In my case, since I have an AMD RX 6800 XT GPU and I have the AMD bug window that opens after each crash, I blamed AMD. But now I wonder if the crash of the AMD drivers, are not the consequence of the crash VCRUNTIME140.dll

3 Likes

Looking in the event logs, and I, too, am finding “Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll” on 6 separate occasions.

Also finding “Faulting module name: WinXrRuntime.dll” on several logged error events with MSFS, as well as several crashes of WindowsMixedReality, Radeon Software, and MSFS assigning blame to various .dll files.

Not sure what all that means, but my layman’s opinion is that not all of the CTD’s can be blamed on a single faulty module, but a small assortment of faulty modules.

There has been an update to the firmware update for the HP Reverb G2

FIXED:

• Addresses a potential issue where screens may flicker or turn black when playing certain titles at high volume levels.

Does it solve the problems of crashes (CTD) …
For now, I’ll wait a bit, I don’t want to make the problem worse …

Has anybody else noticed issues with Desktop Window Manager? Going through the event viewer a lot of times shortly before MSFS crashes there seem to be errors involving dwm, could this be triggering driver crashes?

Pattern seems to be some form of error with dwm, then the amd driver recovers once, maybe twice, then the sim crashes, though the fault that finally kills it off does seem to vary.

1 Like

I did not go through all of the Event Viewer crash files, but I have found several times that my RX 6800 XT was at 99% utilization while I was only on Youtube.
While searching in the task manager, I saw that Desktop Windows Manager was taking a very high load on the GPU Engine.

However, I have settings to have the best performance

I have noticed that SteamVR can take a heavy load even if it is not in use.

Earlier, I had a crash, and in the event manager, it was written that it was the driver of the HP Reverb G2 that had crashed. (I did not update the firmware)

Tired of all these crashes, for a few days, I had dropped MSFS, and I only played Assetto Corsa Competizione, which is known to be rather greedy in resources. Still, I haven’t had a single crash. Same with Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, or RaceRoom.

I wonder if one day we will find a solution to all these crashes …

I was going great until yesterday [ when the VCRUNTIME error returned in VR on G2 - worse than ever before !!
I looked at windows update history and found MS Edge browser (I don’t use it) did an update that included another MS visual C ++ redistributable. This has seemed related to previous events resulting in CTD for me. So I removed the update (and tried to remove Edge without success) and I am now flying again better than ever without crashes so far. I think Microsoft might be shooting us all in the foot when they update other products on our systems ? Thoughts ?