MSFS 2020 Crash in VR - HP Reverb G2

Have you tried verifying game files on Steam?

this might re-install all of MSFS, be careful with that.

I just did a 3 hour flight in an A320 without CTD (I cross my fingers and touch wood …)

I have a few years of experience with games on Steam, I have not seen that it reinstalls the game completely. It will simply scan the files in the installation folder and reinstall the missing files if it cannot find them.

It will reinstall the entire game. I believe it is a bug, but I made me install the entire game.

2 Likes

this seems to be specific to MSFS. maybe because it’s still an external game with its own launcher or something like that. i heard about this problem many times on the MSFS forums, hence the warning.

Hi HeySous, I have a nearly identical hardware setup to you (3090 versus your 3080, but all else is the same) and the same version of Win10. I have had no trouble with the G2 in VR and follow the steps below to launch it.

1. Turn on PC
  2. Plug in G2 headset to power and then the WMR application auto-starts to get the G2 running…then minimize the WMR window
  3. Launch OpenXR Developer (where I have a customer render scale turned on at 100, no motion reprojection and no preview), then minimize this window
  4. Launch MSFS
  5. Select my route and start the sim (Still in 2D mode)…once on the runway and ready to take off, then I will hit Ctrl+Tab to switch over toVR…the blue diamonds come up as it’s connecting MSFS to the G2 and then the VR flight is ready to go.

A few times when I didn’t follow this order there were problems (like when plugging in the headset to power after I launched MSFS) so I tend to always go in the order above.

Have you tried to uninstalling WMR from Windows and re-installing it in the add/remove programs part of Windows? Has it ever worked for you or only recently stopped working? Also, what version of Nvidia driver are you using and have you changed any of the nvidia control panel settings for 3D applications?

I still have CTD. I’ve found something that aparently doesn’t prevent the CTD but is quite a step forward. When I turn on my HP Reverb G2 I get flickering screen and windows creates 3 more virtual Monitors… It’s anoying and the purpuse doesn’t afect me. So you can turn it of by changing a Reg key.

All Info and how to you can find here:

And here a Video on why it makes sense:

I would argue that it has improved my performance as well…

Followed your steps above and still hitting the same issue. Yes, it worked before the last update of Flight Sim. 2D flying works fine. No changes to NVIDIA settings. Haven’t uninstalled / reinstalled WMR.

NVIDIA Driver: 27.21.14.5638

Is this still working for you? I dialled back my overclock a bit, ran linpack like you suggested and got 19 out of 20 identical results and the other was still deemed a pass but MSFS crashed just as quickly as normal.

Such a ridiculous state of affairs.

Sounds like a Windows 10 default driver, you should download the Geforce Drivers from the nVidia website.

It’s been working for me. I also upped the System Agent voltage to 1.35v as I am running 2 sticks of 32GB rams for the total of 64GB. Are you running any overclock? XMP Profile? What is your system spec?

Installed the latest from NVIDIA last night and got it working for a flight. Haven’t had time to check if that was a fluke today.

Current Driver: 27.21.14.6192

Also installed / updated the Game Ready Driver: 461.92

1 Like

Was running an i5 6600kk @ 4.5GHz and 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM using the XMP profile @ 3000MHz and ran the Linpack thing as suggested and it threw up a few residuals off the mark so I dialled the CPU back to 4.3GHz and the RAM to 2700MHz and ran it again which gave me 19 out of 20 matching residuals and the other was still a pass. Also zero issues with this overclock and the old one using Intel burn test.

My old overclock never caused any problems in anything else which makes it incredibly frustrating having to dial everything back to get this thing stable, let alone getting it to run well! I think I’m done with it until Asobo can pull their finger out and sort this, I’ve paid my money and shouldn’t have to jump through hoops.

With a game like Assetto Corsa Competizione, it took many months and many updates to have a game usable in VR.
You have to remember that we are beta testers. And again, we could be happy if our complaints ended up being heard and resolved, but I do not have the impression that we are going in this direction …

Glad you got it to work. I assume no more CTD after dialing your overclock down. MSFS is extremely sensitive to memory instability. What might pass as stable for one app can be totally unstable for another. If you want to keep your XMP, try upping your System Agent Voltage. That’s what. I have done to keep my ram running at XMP.

Oh no, mine still crashes constantly, probably worse than ever, that’s why I was curious if yours was still working.

Are we? I don’t remember signing up to be a beta tester or downloading beta versions of updates. The fact they’ve released something that is broken does not automatically make us beta testers!

1 Like

And what do you call it then?

It is released as a full working product. Yes it will be developed over many years and added to, but what was released now was meant to be a tested and working 1.0, not 0.5!

Hi All. So I’m quite confident that I might have solved my CTD here.

it seems that my headset went to sleep mode for some reason. Sometimes sooner sometimes later. I could not fix it 100% but it doesn’t crash anymore.

So what I did is I have disabled the sleepmode with a Reg entry:

Using "
reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic /v ScreensaverModeEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1
"
With the sleep mode disabled I did not have crashes any more. But what did happen is that my headset screens would go black sometimes. I then need to take it of and wait for about 2 - 3 Seconds and put it back on and the headset screens turn back on. But it dooesn’t go to sleep mode and does not crash to Desktop.

I will follow up on this if it really solved it.
Here is the Link I followed to find the Reg key:

You might want to make sure the headset doesn’t turn on when you don’t want it to since with this there is not sleep mode no more.

Good luck with this :smiley:

1 Like