MSFS 2020 Crash in VR - HP Reverb G2

Cheers yeah I’ll hold out for the 27th Update

Hi there, I’m searching a way to solve this issue of headset disconnection since 2 weeks now.

I’m not sure yet, but I found in the event log that at the time my problem appears, the GoPro service starts scanning ports to find a cam over USB. I 've then uninstalled the GoPro apps and see if it can solve this.

I need the newest drivers that don’t give CTD (Crash To Desktop) with VR with my Hp Reverb G2 in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

The only driver that is stable and does not give any CTD is the one that came with Windows 10 Updates “Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 27.20.1034.6”.

Most, also the one you recommended after DDU cleanup gives CTD.

Please advise me which of your AMD GPU drivers are best optimized for VR with my Hp Reverb G2 in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

The VR Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 community is big and most of them are leaving AMD GPU and are going to get Nvidia RTX 3080 or 3090.

I love AMD and my pc is super with your Ryzen 9 5900X but GPU drivers support for us VR enthusiasts with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 are feeling left behind.

That is the only software I run and use. I’m at a point to pull the trigger in the coming months to buy a new GPU once they are available but the Sim must run CTD free so driver support is a must have for VR in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

For you G2 users. I upgraded from Rift to G2 a week ago. I had a few growing pains at first, until I started using Steam VR. I start Steam VR, which starts WMR, and then I power up the G2. I’ve been tweaking my MSFS VR settings, and have found a notch that works for me. I’ve had no CTD’s, and the G2 is miles above my Rift. I’m running an I-9 and RTX 2070 super. I think I’ll continue with these until they burn up. I’ve given some thought to lenses, but I tried wearing my glasses in VR, and it seems that it’s better without them. The G2 even makes FSX better in flyinside, if I can get Flyinside to work most of the time.

1 Like

Ok, everything was doing great after sim update 5, but after the “hot fix” CTDs are back for me once again. 6800 xt here

The hotfix had already been released by the time I got round to trying Update 5 tonight, and I am getting constant CTDs with no error message when trying to use VR with my Reverb G2. I completed the update without anything in the community folder and I have not added anything back into the folder yet.

Sometimes I can be in the sim in VR for a few minutes before CTD and other times it is almost an instant CTD after switching to VR. On the plus side the few minutes that I am getting in VR are running super smooth :smiley:

Hopefully another fix is on the way. I will file a bug report.

I am using a 2070S and AMD processor.

I was able to taxi out to the runway and get into the air and seconds after takeoff, I ended up on my desktop after a CTD caused by flightsimulator.exe according to the event log.

Never had that one before the update.

Using an HP Reverb G2, an 8086K and a 3090.

Same for me with RTX3080 and G2.

If you are experiencing this particular CTD, could you mind DMing me a DxDiag? Thanks!

you guys are scaring me. With me looking at Newegg Shuffle daily for a 3080 or 3090 to allow me to resume “trying” to use G2 without CTD within 10 minutes. My G2 has been gathering dust from non-use for months waiting for a stable sim. AMD Radeon™ RX5700XT Gaming &
Intel® Core™ i7-10700 Processor, ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming w/ 32GB DDR4-3200

Okay, now this is UNACCEPTABLE! Following SU5, I finally had stable performance w/o CTD’s for two entire sessions. It was all I ever asked for from this sim. But today I just tried to get a couple of hours of flight time in, and now I cannot even get the sim to LAUNCH!! Not even pancake mode! At best it opens a window, but before the splash screens begin it just CTD’s!! Half a dozen times now.

I had tweaked a couple of color settings in the config.opt file and thought perhaps it was that, so I went in and put them back to where they were, but still no launch.

Are there other AMD users experiencing this like me?? At least before I could run the sim with low/medium settings in a 152 and get a few short flights in here and there while I waited for a 3080 card to be affordable, but everytime they “fix” this sim it makes it more and more UNPLAYABLE! At what point can we expect a full refund??

Hi,
I have just finished a one hour flight in the base citation.
Ran perfectly around 40fps. openxr at 150 ingame at 70 most settings on medium.
10700k amd 6800 32gb @3200 G2 hmd

Why do you run it at 150 and 70, does it give you a particular performance boost or extra clarity?

Hi,
The higher OpenXr render scale I use , the more vram (around 10gb) is used and the richer the picture looks to me.
The picture looks more washed out the lower I go in OpenXr.
I use 70 or 80 in game to get around 40 fps.
I usually use medium in game settings because I don’t see much difference in the picture with higher settings and there is definitely a performance hit with ultra.

I’ll maybe give this a try to see if there’s a difference. I’ve been running OpenXR 100 and MSFS at 100 on my 6800XT but I used chill to lock my FPS to 30 with no reprojection because it just doesn’t work properly. I think my VRAM usually sits about 9-9.5GB with current settings.

I finally got my upgrade to 3090 and love the VR G2, but still getting random crashes. Mostly not CTD but frozen screen that Ctrl-Alt-Del won’t fix so have to manually hold power off. Anyone have ideas where to look? Can also happen when not in VR with plane continuing to fly on autopilot, but no keystrokes or control buttons on thrust master work.

I have received reports that since Sim update 5 and newest AMD Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 21.7.2, this particular crash is fixed!

However if still have CTDs that you think could be related to the HP Reverb G2 and AMD let me know. Thanks!

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, B450 Mortar Max, 32GB RAM, 5700 XT, HP Reverb G2
GPU drivers - latest (now 21.8.1)
Windows - Updated to latest patches today
Flight sim 2020 - Update to latest patches today

Result - game crashes on start up, regardless of whether I have Mixed Reality Portal running or not.

So if by ‘fixed’, you mean that the game crashes 5 minutes before the flight, rather than 5 minutes into it…?

From the event log:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001cd5745
Faulting process ID: 0x267c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d792cc25c73a00
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 14c0605a-aa49-49e5-91fe-6e6a1e6f95c0
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Thank you for the info! If you are able to send your dxDiag, I’ll get this looked at asap. Thanks!