MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

And I got it again after days without problems. The pure randomness of the issue is probably also why people make all kinds of suggestions what might help. They just did something and by pure chance they didn’t get the error again so they think it helped, when it actually might have done nothing.

3 Likes

Has anyone actually tried using the sim with empty community folder for couple of days and got this error? I do wonder, i missed if anyone said so.

Yeah, someone above wrote that he even deleted the World Updates and still got it.

Indeed. Can you tell me if you turned off Azure in the sound settings?

First, I didn’t change any settings, just turned off Little Navmap. I used to have it running in the background. I tried turning it off today. Then I successfully completed four flights without quitting the game. 13 hours, but I’m not sure if this CTD is solved, it will take time to prove it, I hope it will help you a little.

Well, actually, Programmers do know… I have created and then found and fixed more Exceptions (mainly Null Pointers) that you have had hot dinners !!

Looking at crash dumps, I can see where the Null Pointers occur, as well a numerous places where the code is correctly testing for null pointers (Zero pointers), and handling them without trying to access that invalid memory location.

Now, left as well as a few remaining zero pointers, are a number of -1 pointers , that are also causing CTDs.
There is no easy solution, apart from a strict code audit, as well as adding better exception error handing.

Getting Exception error handing into WASM, might go long way to reduce these CTDs caused by less experienced Devs, making plane addons, who may not be so experirnced in writting “ROBUST” code.

Then again, I am running teh same ASOPBO code as everyone else, (apart from missing many MS-Store purchased items) and I now newer get CTDs, whereas I was getting them all the time a few months ago.

GO FIGURE

Thankfully, for me,. MSFS is an Optional GAME in my life – but for those making a living from it, it must be highly disturbing - but then, so are so many other things, like a constantly changing, inadequately documented platform.

1 Like

No, but I would imagine that a lot of people are not using the FS ATC at all and use VATSIM instead.

Again: All those “try this”, “do this” or “I did this and then it disappeared” seems to be pretty much voodoo to me. As long as there isn’t someone who had the problem pretty much every flight, did something and then it disappeared for him (or her) for at least 10 flights in a row, I don’t really believe anybody has a real solution yet. The error is just too random.

1 Like

Am getting the same issue when going from 2d to vr

RYZEN 3950X
128 GB Ram 3800Mhz
M.2 Gen 4 4TB
Asus 3090 White Oc

Reverb G2 V1

Stomped

Exactly. Last night I managed to complete a flight without any error. That’s after a fresh windows install because I changed the mainboard yesterday. Today I boot up MSFS, went away for two minutes, and when I came back I saw the error message. It’s what bothers me about this error, because there’s absolutely zero indication why it’s happening and seems completely random.

1 Like

I contacted Microsoft support , and linked this very forum and the person I wrote to stated and I quote verbatim "other people’s crashes are of no consequence to us " , clearly this person seems to think he speaks for all at Microsoft support ,and that they just don’t care

2 Likes

Welcome to my world. I have uninstalled MSFS and Xbox, including deleting all of the Xbox files and folders from my Drive. Cleaned, defragmented and reboot the drive before re-installing. This gave me 5 hours of trouble-free flying before it came back to the same memory error message. During that time I was able to record an entire flight through the GEFORCE app in an attempt to tax my computer.

Does that Microsoft person understand that we get crashes on plain vanilla system on the PC and the Xbox platforms? Who are this other people?

The fact there is no hot fix for this error is very disturbing to me. I really thought Microsoft wanted this simulator to be the best ever with strict quality control. This simulator is turning into year 1 of FSX. Very disappointing. They sure like launching this Top Gun stuff before completing numerous problems with simulator. Dumb!

No they don’t!

1 Like

Yes, that’s true. I am not well experienced in developing. I cannot say how hard this Bugfixes are in a big game. I just know, it can take some time.

This stings my ring so bad.

I have this issue as well. Where is Asobo ??

1 Like

Can you please show this exchange in full (retract the emails/personal data). If that is really, truly “verbatim” what they said it is highly unprofessional.

I can assure you that is what this Microsoft Flight Simulator person said , and I quite frankly dont like being accused of lying

Well, rather worryingly this person seems to think he is the appointed spokesperson for the Microsoft Flight Simulator support, ( Note the “us” ), Im sure that Microsoft support does care, but clearly this guy didn’t like the fact that I was doing his job for him, by sharing the link to this forum where the issue was being discussed .