MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

Hi again
Ok I ran two tests for 1 hour each:
PMDG 737 from lpfr , AIG enabled
1st test xmp disabled , average used physical memory 43%
2nd test xmp enabled xmp 1 ( previously had it set to xmp 2) currently running at 42%

So conclusion : well no CTD but I think this is random , I cannot pinpoint it apart from changing from xmp 2 to xmp 1 or disabled

The PMDG is quite a ram hog , FBW was better on ram usage but it’s a mystery to me and a lot of messing about

Well I have managed to complete flights all weekend with no CTD, but is that just pure luck

I have no idea !!!

how big was your old Fs-base-cgl?
mine is 59.7GB

So just delete and reinstall?

Closed the sim now but it was about 57 gb when I looked, going to sleep now so will give it a go tomorrow if it’s the magic bullet

Recently upgraded my ram to 32gb and using XMP for 3600mhz. Updated Windows and all drivers. Since then i am not getting this error. I had a 3.5 hour long flight yesterday with PMDG737 and no issues so far. You should definitely try updating your BIOS even if you have the beta versions available. This is definitely a software issue rather than hardware but there’s something which triggers this on drivers side.

2 Likes

In my experience testing all weekend it seems that since I have changed my xmp profile on my 32gb 3600mhz to xmp1 instead of 2 which I had been using for a long time it seems to keep memory from shooting up

I tested both the FBW and PMDG , using xmp 2 on my ASUS mobo using the PMDG my ram shot up to 98% physical ram used, it didn’t crash as it presumably used the page file to use then it went down but crept up again , got to land , no error messages and at gate stayed at about 30% physical ram

Since going back to either disabling xmp or using xmp 1 it uses 43% physical ram in flight so you may be on the same track as me

My bios is up to date so it’s not that and on 22h2 windows 11 preview build

Hi have you tested this extensively, the reason I ask is that people on this forum have reinstalled the whole of msfs and are still getting it

Did you delete and reinstall in the sim , what else do you need to do , empty community folder etc ., I’m intrigued but also a bit sceptical
Don’t take this the wrong way just wanting to make sure I don’t mess up my sim

By the way, how did you come across this fix
I have not seen it documented anywhere else apart from a clean reinstall of msfs which didn’t fix the problem?

Yes i am also on XMP profile 1 and same windows build! Never tried profile 2 on sim but was having issues on some different titles with it.

1 Like

Yes it’s a more aggressive overclock xmp2
It tightens the timings
Funny thing is I have been using it since SU5 and it was fine in SU9 but the last 7 days I started having these memory errors so ran memtest 86 for the full test around 6 hours and it passed so my ram is good

Maybe the sim just doesn’t like the xmp 2 profile anymore

Plus I know it’s not keen on overclocked CPU’s but some people it works with a mild over clock

I reinstalled the system because I changed the motherboard. I did the format of both disks and installed the sim, during the installation it downloaded 30gb of content, which seemed to me not enough. In fact, it didn’t work for more than a few seconds. Every time a crash. I have tried various things but nothing help. I had the idea that i must need to download all the world updates. At that time, this fsbase file appeared on the list as an update. I downloaded and the problem disappeared. With most crashes, the error was showing up. That’s all. In your case, the reason may be different.

Turn off game mode in windows 10, swap file of system choice and restart the computer, I have an old computer with 12 gigabytes of memory, it helped me!

exactly…

Some RAM have two different levels / profiles of xmp mode, like moderate and extrem and the xmp2 profile is much higher risc of failure than the “normal” xmp1. It’s not the “application” which “doesn’t like the xmp 2 profile” , it is just not stable :slight_smile:

And don’t forget: xmp mode is the RAM “speed” only. The memory consumption have nothing to do with that.

As has been said many time here, these CTD’s are caused by a software problem that points to a non existent memory location and NOT faulty or over clocked RAM.
If the problem was faulty or overstressed RAM it would most likely crash the whole PC or produce a BSOD and not just affect MFSF. It would almost certainly occur with other use of the PC outside of MSFS.
The ONLY people who can fix this are Microsoft/Asobo
Given the number of people having these CTD’s, we need more votes to get this higher up the priority bug list.

10 Likes

Yes indeed, just had a short flight to EGSS from EDDH and just crossing the channel it CTD no error message , resource monitor was about 48% physical memory used so had plenty of free ram , I was flying the PMDG , I had xmp 1 and AIG installed, it only has started to happen flying the PMDG so totally hacked off
It’s not my hardware it’s an Asobo/Microsoft issue
I think the FBW is ok but I’m giving up tonight, just totally frustrated and annoyed

This has only happened to me in the last week
Dear oh dear :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rage:

2 Likes

I got the error only when I used the fenix A320. With the FBW it works smoothly.
Fenix is keeping on saying that it is a know bug by MS/Asobo, fixed in SU10… Well, do I have to wait till August without using their product?
I don’t think this is a good way to answer to a customer…

2 Likes

Yes unfortunately we will all have to wait for this fix, it’s using way too much ram
I’m sitting at EGSS with AIG on and it’s using 18gb of my memory out of 32gb never been like this before and I’m using the FBW

I had this error with the Fenix, the FBW and the PMDG, others had it with GA aircraft, without any mods, while in the main menu or while browsing the MSFS shop or while starting MSFS. It is a general problem of the software. For some it happens all the time, for some it happens only sometimes and others never see this error. It really is very random and there doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason when and why it appears.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve put a weeks work into this, and am now 4 days crash free… and then Mandatory update!!!

Will share my findings when I’ve confirmed that the update to 1.26.5.0 hasn’t screwed it!!

So, took me like 5 minutes to get my first “memory could not be read” error after the patch. So no, they obviously didn’t fix it.

And the next one right after that. Never had that back to back this way, so this patch might have destroyed my MSFS.

2 Likes

World Updates don’t fix anything. It’s just content for the sim. The funny thing though is that this won’t be fixed before Sim update X. Perhaps not even with Sim 10. So keep your expectations low. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is getting worse every day unfortunately. Had 5 CTDs today with this error.

Asobo, when will you finally fix this. It’s inacceptable!

4 Likes